Menu

Need some advice on how to get through this year of hsing

I need some advice on how to make this year work for hsing b/c I am seriously getting stressed about it.

My school aged kids are in gr K and 2.

I've posted before that I'm having some pregnancy complications. At the moment I am having twice weekly appointments that interfere w/ our school (one of those appointments is all day, the other one not as long but I just don't have the energy for school on that day). If everything goes beautifully, I'll probably continue having twice weekly appointments for the next month, after that it will be more frequent or I could be admitted. I will be delivering the baby at least 3 or 4 weeks early in mid-October (at best!). Baby will need surgery after birth and we will be in the nicu for about a month as long as they don't need to take the baby sooner.

So, the way I see it, at the moment I am able to hs 3 times per week for approximately the next month (unless I do school on the weekends, but I don't have energy for that). After that, I will probably not be able to do any more school until after Christmas.

Am I going to be able to get through everything this year?

I did all of my oldest sons second grade material between the beginning of January and last month. I pushed it with him for January and February but it hasn't been that hard to do. If you manage to get some of it done on the three days a week over the next month you'll even be further ahead than I was.

Don't stress too much over it, you have enough stress going on as it is. The kids will be fine, they'll catch back up. At this stage of the game I don't think it's nearly as hard to catch up as it would be if your child was in grade 6 or 7.

:grouphug: It'll work out. Do what you can over this month and then just leave it till January. Plan on working through next summer though.

:grouphug:

I would say at their ages to scale back your school plans - make subjects like history and science more informal and interest-led. Stick to the basics - reading, math and some writing for the older child.

Are you on bed-rest? If not, maybe see if you can outsource or find free/inexpensive community activities to enrich their studies. (Ie: free library programs.)

I have missed any posts about your pregnancy complications. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug:

I agree-stick to basics this year! Your kids are still young! I was on bedrest with twice weekly appointments (and two overnight hospital stays) with a 3rd, 1st grader and a 3yo in 2011. Days that I had dr appointments were a wash since it took so long to get ready, drop them at my MIL's, get to the dr, wait wait wait and get home, etc. By the time I got home I took a nap and the day was shot. We all made it through and they aren't behind at all! Hang in there and do your best! You will be fine!

That is a lot going on. :grouphug:

I think your children are far better off at home with you than in school for sure. Even if you don't do a thing until after Christmas. K and 2 can be lots of sitting on the couch with mom reading. Maybe you can find some easy things to do for whomever takes care of them during your appointments? It is a very short time in their school career.

Take care of yourself and keep cookin that baby!

So it's ok to scale back w/ my k-er? We did start school this year in mid-July, so we have a few weeks of school under our belts already. If I focussed on just math and LA w/ my older DS and let things go a bit w/ my k-er, that would be alright?

What if I ordered something on the computer like reading eggs or time4learning for my younger DS. Would he gain anything from that?

So it's ok to scale back w/ my k-er? We did start school this year in mid-July, so we have a few weeks of school under our belts already. If I focussed on just math and LA w/ my older DS and let things go a bit w/ my k-er, that would be alright?

What if I ordered something on the computer like reading eggs or time4learning for my younger DS. Would he gain anything from that?

Your younger ds would probably gain as much from just playing and exploring and reading time with you as he would from time on the computer. I held my oldest back from K for a year and he caught back up pretty quickly.

I think you'd be just fine to scale things back with him.

I agree w/ pp, drop K and focus on the very basics- Math and Reading w/ read-alouds for the 2nd grader. I think if you do the basics until after the new year you could likely still finish by the end of summer pretty easy.

Fwiw a lot of places don't even start formal work at 4.5yo and still end up way more advanced than US students. My oldest 2 are in the same grades except my dd is a nearly 5.5 k'er. We are doing reading and writing very informally when it happens. I probably won't make anything mandatory until next year for her.

Edited by soror

:grouphug: That's a lot to deal with.

I agree with others, focus on the basics. It sounds like you need to take care of yourself and baby right now. Your children are young, and a few months of taking it slowly will be fine on the long run. Read together as much as you can, and start school back up slowly when things start to settle down. Praying for your sweet baby.

Cat