Menu

Let's talk about rings

I did not want an engagement ring from dh...did the diamond thing with the wrong guy and didn't want the association.

Dh and I had cool symbolism in our rings but we don't wear them. I wouldn't be appalled if I heard of a couple not having rings.

I wear thumb rings and my favorite is steel.

I know a widow that wears her wedding set along with her late dh's ring. It looks modern and lovely. She gets compliments.

I can't pull them off but I like the big rings that are trendy.

Dh is having a ring made for me. I'll post pictures when it is finished.

I wore my 1 ct emerald cut engagement ring for 20 years until the gold was so worn away that the stone practically fell out.

The jeweler is putting it into a new solitaire setting and making me a ring guard with two emerald cut emeralds on each side.

He really wanted to make it into one ring, but I wanted to keep the symbolism of the solitaire.

I'm excited about seeing it, I made Dh pick out the stones alone, so I'm completely in the dark. The jeweler did tell me that everyone he shows it to in the office gasps, and drools over it.

Hopefully it will be ready soon since my anniversary was in June.

I posted a cpl of mths ago the new set Wolf bought me.

Long story short, got married very broke. Plain gold wedding bands, w/some beading on the edges. I didn't want an engagement ring, told him that he could buy me a REALLY nice one for our 10th ann :lol:

He lost his orig band, fell off his finger, bought him a new one at a jeweler's going out of biz sale. Has 3 diamonds in it, which led to teasing that he got a diamond ring before I did.

Wk or so later, sale is still on, but things are even cheaper. Wolf decides we're going to look...didn't see an engagement ring that wow'd either of us completely, plus we'd have to drive to another city to pick it up after sizing. He suggested I look at wedding sets...I fell in love w/this set, and it actually fit perfectly, no sizing needed :D

It was 9 mths until our 10th ann. :lol:

I have a few rings. Mostly I wear my wedding band and engagement ring. I wear them on separate fingers. They are so very different that they don't go well together on the same finger. My engagement ring is a emerald cut emerald with baguette diamonds. I wanted a plain emerald solitaire but it seems they weren't making any back then. My wedding band is both yellow and white gold. It has a design. I'm not sure how to describe it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2188718/Good-lord-star-crossed-lovers-propose-Tardis-inspired-engagement-ring.html had to look up what exactly a Tardis was ( never watched Dr Who) but I thought the ring was lovely, the price tag not so much 8D I'm usually not one for jewelry and accessories.

Emily in IL

I have dropped numerous hints regarding this ring. As someone pointed out yesterday, there are only 4 months left until Christmas! ;)

Forgot to add...Dh designed our rings, and a (then) local jeweler made them. I love having unique rings! The only time I don't wear them is when I'm doing housework. I'm afraid one will slip off and get lost.

Edited by flutistmom

Flutistmom, my DH designed my ring, too. It took him over 9 months working with the jeweler. He is very picky and kept making changes. When it was finally finished, he planned a nice, romantic proposal. But he was so excited after all those months, that he blurted it all out after my 24 hour shift in an ER. I was cranky, tired, and needed my teeth brushed. What a surprise!

:)

I kind of feel weird about wedding rings. To me, it symbolizes that you are owned by someone else, like a collar on a dog. My husband does not own me, and vice versa. That being said, DH and I have rings. His is just one from Walmart, and mine is a cheap/small pawn store ring with a tiny diamond (if it even is a diamond...but I couldn't care less if it is or not). It's just a ring, so why does it need to be outrageous? I'm not trying to compete with all my friends to see who gets the biggest or fanciest ring. Most of the time, DH and I don't even wear our rings. Neither of us are at the moment, actually.

Our original wedding bands came from a pawn shop - we were flat broke. The bands didn't match and no diamonds.

My wedding band was stolen :glare:.

DH took me back to a pawn shop last Christmas for our 21st anniversary, where we found the exact match to his band, this time with a row of little diamond bits, exactly in my size. I figured it was meant to be!

• Like 1

When the kids were younger I wore a flat band with some small diamonds in it, which we bought in St. Thomas. I think it is a 'man's' band. But I loved it. Now, I'm am wearing the wedding set. It is a 3 piece set. The jackets are gold and have baguettes that surround the diamond, which is a half carat, I think. I looked for a picture that was similar, but I couldn't find one. 2 jackets seems to be less common.

My engagement ring was dh's grandmother's diamond. It has a larger diamond in the middle with 2 tiny diamonds on the sides. My wedding band was my great grandmother's wedding band. She got it during the Great Depression and it is yellow gold with a tiny bit of white gold with 3 micro mini dimond chips in it----you can hardly see them but they are there. It was all they could afford.

Dh's wedding band was made from melting my grandparent's wedding bands together into a plain simple band.

My grandmother's brother is a jewler and he and his son did the work on our sets.

I have a beautiful diamond that dh bought at an estate sale and had re-set for me. It's a marquis cut, just over one carat, and the band has four small diamonds on each side. The actual wedding band is a very slim gold ring. I don't wear much jewelry but I do enjoy my wedding set.

I bought dh a nice band with small diamonds that he rarely wears. DH is a machinist and it's too dangerous to wear a ring. So, on Sunday when he puts it on, I joke that it's nice to be married today. :-)

I wear my engagement ring and band all the time. Dh wears his wedding band pretty much all the time, taking it off when working with power tools and doing car repairs.

My set was a beautiful set that I saw in a bridal magazine around the time that dh and I really began discussing marriage heavily and talking timeframes. I showed the picture to my best friend and told her that though I liked the set, I knew there was NO way he could afford it. Little did I know he did some serious shopping and found a new jewelry store going in at a mall near his parents house...50% off on the first day of the grand opening which he made sure he was the first person in line for so I was pretty shocked when he took that box out of his pocket!

DD is wearing a simple ring, not particularly expensive - purchased at Kohl's - because her fiance hadn't had time to save up enough for the ring he wants to give her. However, he felt the need to "mark his territory" (:lol:) because of an ER resident that has been coming on to dd. She can handle the situation just fine on her own, but apparently M thought she needed help!

Faith

This came up at a good time!

I've been married 20 years and wear my grandmother's rings from 1934.

I do love them, but after 20 years, I sorta want something new to look at. I was hoping for a band that looks more like a man's band, but smaller and more feminine for a woman, maybe with some carving or etching in it.

I was hoping to get something for about $40 somewhere, but don't really know where to start.

I have a very no-nonsense yet very romantic (to me!) ring. My husband is an engineer with a metal machining background, so he made my ring out of stainless-steel bar stock. It looks like a hex nut. He made his to match, but it's wider. Every few months, I polish it with a Scotchbrite pad to remove scratches. I'm not a diamond type, and I'm hard on soft metals like gold and silver. Our original plan was to have a replica made in platinum, but I loved my ring too much to do that. I never take it off, although one night, I woke up, and it was in my mouth. So that's weird... :lol:

I kind of feel weird about wedding rings. To me, it symbolizes that you are owned by someone else, like a collar on a dog.

If I had one, it would symbolise that someone thought enough of me to spend his money on an item of no practical value when he could have avoided it.

Rosie- hoping there's a generous man in her future. :blushing:

• 2 years later...

Talking about rings makes me sad. When my dh was a little boy, he saved pennies to buy his wife a wedding present. He took the actual pennies and bought a small ruby. He gave it to me at our wedding rehearsal and read the scripture about finding a wife worth more than rubies. I had it set into a small heart ring for my pinkie finger next to my wedding rings. I lost the stone out of it about 2 years ago and never found it! 

Honestly, I would rather have lost my diamond than it. 

DH and I wear simple gold band wedding rings.

I am not against wedding rings, but I am against the tradition of engagement rings with a stone worth multiple monthly salaries of the groom. To me, that smacks of putting down earnest money in a bargain, and I also dislike the conspicuous display of wealth.