Menu

What is so special about red velvet cake?

I don't know what the appeal is. I hate red velvet cake. I would rather have chocolate cake. And cream cheese frosting-blech. Cream cheese belongs on a bagel not in frosting. Of course, I also don't like cheese cake. So perhaps I am not the one to ask.

Would it be possible to share her cake recipe? Pretty please??? :)

This is the McCormick recipe, but I tried that one and didn't really like it.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/red-velvet-cupcakes-3/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=red%20velvet&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

I haven't even looked at it, but I've heard this recipe is good:

http://www.food.com/recipe/waldorf-astoria-red-velvet-cake-8972

:lurk5:

This may be heresy, but I would rather just have the chocolate cake without the food coloring to make it red. Couldn't one just have a really good chocolate cake?:auto:

You should make the recipe for "Perfect Chocolate Cake" that is printed on the back of the Hershey's can of cocoa. It is :svengo: SOOO Uber Delicous! Top it with the chocolate frosting on same can. I died and went to heaven.

You should make the recipe for "Perfect Chocolate Cake" that is printed on the back of the Hershey's can of cocoa. It is :svengo: SOOO Uber Delicous! Top it with the chocolate frosting on same can. I died and went to heaven.

That is my go to chocolate cake. Imagine my delight when I found that my good friend, also a pastry chef, told me it is also her standard chocolate cake.

I've never had it, but every time I hear someone mention it, I flash on Steel Magnolias and the groom's cake...an armadillo that's red velvet...

And then Tom Skerrit and Shirley MacLaine..."Awww, thanks, Ouiser. Nothing like a good piece of a$$"

That is my go to chocolate cake. Imagine my delight when I found that my good friend, also a pastry chef, told me it is also her standard chocolate cake.

:iagree: No doubt! That is the yummiest cake I have ever had in my life and it turns out moist and amazing and chocolaty. :drool5:

If the bride really wants Red Velvet . . . I did an eggless cake a while back with whirled beets and raspberries that was delicious, though not super-brilliant in the red department. An option for brighter red includes stirring in raspberry Jello mix. All of which go well with cream cheese frosting!

This is seriously dating me, but this reminds me of the red velvet armadillo from Steel Magnolias. :lol:

OMGoodness!

I was just thinking the EXACT same thing as I was reading this thread! With that nasty GRAY frosting! :lol: Great minds! :D And her colors were "blush" and "bashful," right?

I love red velvet cake! It's a Southern staple, not a "new" thing. However, now that I am paleo/primal in my diet, I shall probably never have it again!

oh my that armadillo was nasty looking LOL

and yeah red velvet cake is like a traditional Christmas cake in the south

Matter of fact it was one of the first things I baked for my dh when we were dating way back in 1987 LOL

We had been dating for like 2 months before Christmas 87 and I was invited to their family party. My red velvet cake was the bomb LOL

OMGoodness!

I was just thinking the EXACT same thing as I was reading this thread! With that nasty GRAY frosting! :lol: Great minds! :D And her colors were "blush" and "bashful," right?

I love red velvet cake! It's a Southern staple, not a "new" thing. However, now that I am paleo/primal in my diet, I shall probably never have it again!

Yep those where her colors and the aunt could make any animal except for snakes because she didn't have the counter space. LOL

I grew up in North Florida, but my stepmother's parents were from Mississippi. I remember her telling me once that originally Red Velvet Cake had no food coloring at all (Red food coloring tastes awful), it was made red because of a chemical reaction with a certain kind of cocoa powder (I forget which kind), buttermilk, and sometimes vinegar in the batter. The acid interacts with that certain cocoa and made the cake red.

I think people love it from nostalgia/Southern revival these days, but maybe they used to love it because it was more moist than other cakes. These days most cake recipes have improved.

Also, cream cheese frosting!

OMGoodness!

This is not a paleo/primal recipe, but it uses coconut flour for the flour, and erythritol in lieu of sugar.

http://healthyindulgences.net/2008/12/a-chocolate-giveaway-and-healthy-red-velvet-cake/

Just in case you ever desperately need some...

This is seriously dating me, but this reminds me of the red velvet armadillo from Steel Magnolias. :lol:

:iagree:

:lol: Me too!!!

Really, I think what is "special" is the light flavor and it's "pretty". My cousin always brought one to Christmas dinner at my Grandmother's house, so while it's not my favorite cake, it does have lots of fond memories!