Menu

What defines 'hard-of-hearing'?

I consider myself hard-of-hearing because I have very poor hearing (a bilateral severe-profound loss) but I still rely primarily on oral communication and use my residual hearing with the help of a hearing aid.

By audiological standards, my hearing is bad enough to be considered "deaf", and sometimes I do self-identify as deaf but it seems to confuse people. I always get, "but you speak so clearly!" Yeah, because I was 32 when I lost my hearing and my vocal cords aren't attached to my ears. :p

I wish I was more "D"eaf, and I hope to give the girls the choice over how they self identify, since we are learning sign as a family and attend many Deaf events and have Deaf friends. They can choose for themselves I they want to be Deaf/deaf/HOH.

I absolutely hate the term "hearing impaired".

I'm taking my oldest DD8 to have her hearing checked soon. She is showing some signs of an auditory processing disorder but they want to check her hearing first since my dad and aunt started to lose their hearing in their 20s. I struggle in a large room sometimes but I'm hoping not to deal with hearing aids, etc for a long time. My father always struggled with jobs and had major issues due to his hearing issues. Not sure what his "level" of impairment is though.

I don't think there really is a firm definition really. I consider myself HOH even though I test fine on hearing tests, because I have issues hearing & understanding more than one sound at a time, and I have issues hearing some voice tones & accents. If someone is looking straight at me but mumbling or whispering I can't understand a word they are saying but I can tell they are saying something KWIM? Or if someone is talking to me and there are lots of people talking in the background {like on a crowded bus or convention hall}, I can't pick out the voice of the person talking to me through all the rest of them - they all blend together.

as a s/o - how have those of you who have hearing issues that developed as adults dealt with them? How did you learn things like ASL or lip-reading, and where did you go for help?

I have anywhere between 20 and 25 and I consider myself hard of hearing. My problem is completely conductive and not sensory so that makes a difference too in how it would be treated. It amounts to the same thing in terms of my hearing but since normally conductive is only a problem for children and cured by ear tubes, I think if I decide I want hearing aids, I will have t fight with insurance. My problem wouldn't be solved by ear tubes and I am far from being a child since I turn 50 in less than six months.

I believe deafness can be a partial or total hearing loss. My son has profound hearing loss and I consider him deaf. Without assistance he cannot hear me if he doesn't know I am talking to him. He is set to get simultaneous cochlear implants in November. I am so excited for him to be able to hear.

It amounts to the same thing in terms of my hearing but since normally conductive is only a problem for children and cured by ear tubes, I think if I decide I want hearing aids, I will have t fight with insurance. My problem wouldn't be solved by ear tubes and I am far from being a child since I turn 50 in less than six months.

Unfortunately most (probably 90%+) private insurance does not cover hearing aids for children or adults in most states. Medicare does not cover hearing aids. Medicaid varies state by state, but since 1992 has only covered children under age 18 in Georgia. Hearing aids, cochlear implants, prosthetics, durable medical equipment... That is a discussion for another thread :001_smile:

How about my mil who has 80% loss of hearing in one ear and has 20% loss of hearing in the other (has a hearing aid for the bad ear which improves hearing from 80% loss to 40% loss which is SUBSTANTIAL but WON'T WEAR IT!!!!). :glare:

I think that it is categorized by % of loss in each ear.

Faith

Try and have some compassion for oldies who won't wear their hearing aides. :) It's not easy for them to adjust to the noise when they are used to the quiet and they often make them feel giddy or nauseous, then they feel afraid they'll fall over and break a hip.

I do get that it's annoying to deal with a hard of hearing person who isn't culturally hard of hearing though. :grouphug:

Rosie

Try and have some compassion for oldies who won't wear their hearing aides. :) It's not easy for them to adjust to the noise when they are used to the quiet and they often make them feel giddy or nauseous, then they feel afraid they'll fall over and break a hip.

I do get that it's annoying to deal with a hard of hearing person who isn't culturally hard of hearing though. :grouphug:

Rosie

I know Rosie, I know! It's just that we've reached a crisis point. She won't wear it to her doctor's office appointments and she won't let me go with her because she's determined to be independent. Unfortunately, she's seriously missing out on very important things that her doctor is telling her. I don't mind her not wearing it in general conversations, but we've already had one life threatening drug problem due to her not hearing the doctor or the pharmacist or thinking she heard them correctly and didn't. She can miss out on my babble all she wants. But, it just shouldn't be optional when she gets a prescription filled or sees the neurologist!

I'm trying to be patient. However, she's going to kill herself if she keeps it up and she's a lovely granny that we'd like to keep around for a good while longer. :001_smile:

Faith

She won't wear it to her doctor's office appointments and she won't let me go with her because she's determined to be independent.

Oh, so the trouble is really a stubborn old woman? I've met a few of them. :tongue_smilie:

But, it just shouldn't be optional when she gets a prescription filled or sees the neurologist!
I can see the problem! But it's not as easy as just popping it in for poor old Granny. The hearing aids have to be adjusted to suit one's brain, and I'll bet hers doesn't. It almost certainly doesn't because she doesn't want to go through the fuss of getting it adjusted to suit her because using the horrible thing at all doesn't suit her, kwim? Hearing aides look like they should be the solution, but they probably aren't in this situation. It would make speech louder but wouldn't improve her ability to hear and concentrate. Can the doctor recommend she see a specific pharmacist so s/he can ring as soon as Granny is leaves the office? That would have to cut down on accidents. :eek:

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801