Menu

tax preparation school - anyone btdt?

I am thinking about signing up for one of the tax prep companies free tuition training plans. I know I need to pass the IRS test afterward.

Are any of the programs better than the others? Has anyone worked for one of these companies?

I am not afraid that I will have troubles learning the material, I just want a reliable company to work for afterward.

Thanks for any help.

I know I asked this once before but I can't seem to find the responses.

Respond here or pm me, whichever is more comfortable

I did one through H&R Block, and I worked there for several years. It was a great job; you are paid based on how much you get done, and I am fast, so I made a LOT of money. It depends on the area, of course; I worked in an urban area churning out Earned Income Credit returns. The clients weren't always pleasant, but the pay made up for it.

My mom, with just a few college accounting classes before she went overseas with my drafted dad, started out in a tax class when I was in middle school, and now she is CEO of a string of tax offices and an Enrolled Agent with the IRS.

I took a class through what I suspect is a local company; it was 6 weeks long and I only went to the first 4 weeks. I discovered that even though I COULD do it, I had no interest in it constantly sussing out confusing rules, no matter what the pay would be. I went on to complain about it to some CPA's that are in the family; they all agreed they hated taxes too, so maybe it's genetic.

If you have the personality for it, I'm sure it's worth it.

I did learn to do my family's taxes well, it's small business taxes that left me in a state of rebellious confusion. The class was probably worth it for learning how to do my own taxes well.

I am thinking about signing up for one of the tax prep companies free tuition training plans. I know I need to pass the IRS test afterward.

Are any of the programs better than the others? Has anyone worked for one of these companies?

I am not afraid that I will have troubles learning the material, I just want a reliable company to work for afterward.

Thanks for any help.

I know I asked this once before but I can't seem to find the responses.

Respond here or pm me, whichever is more comfortable

I've taken the class.

My mom worked for H&R BLock while we were growing up, to pay off Christmas every year. (pretty much)

My husband has worked for 3 years and plans to do it again this year. He'd LIKE to get into a full time job doing this because he really enjoys it. But he will only work for H&R Block. He looked at the other companies and feels they ask their preparers to do stuff that he feels is unethical.