Menu

S@x education for 9 year old. CHECK!

We always take one day off on our first week of school to go to the fair. Well, this year my 9 year old got an education at the fair. Right as we walked into the sheep barn, a male decided he wanted some TeA. They were inches in front of my son and eye level. He stared wide eyed for awhile and then said, "Is that one giving the other one sperm or something?":lol: I said, "Uh, yes." and we went to look at some less interesting sheep. Can I count that towards health class?

How funny! It reminds me of when my DD was about 5 and we found the giant tortoises at the zoo in the same situation. A father near-by was telling his kids some silly story to explain what the critters were doing when my DD piped up "No, that's not it. They're mating!"

That's funny. When I was growing up, being that we were on a farm, for some reason I thought that's how cows hugged each other. I remember when I was 5 I was sure babies were made because of hugs, after all, it worked with the cows.

Perhaps that's why I'm not a hugger :tongue_smilie:

We always take one day off on our first week of school to go to the fair. Well, this year my 9 year old got an education at the fair. Right as we walked into the sheep barn, a male decided he wanted some TeA. They were inches in front of my son and eye level. He stared wide eyed for awhile and then said, "Is that one giving the other one sperm or something?":lol: I said, "Uh, yes." and we went to look at some less interesting sheep. Can I count that towards health class?

:lol::lol::lol:

Our last spring's life cycle project started croaking (well, they're leopard frogs, so it sounds more like a cross between a woodpecker and a badly tuned engine) yesterday, and DD's response was "OOH! Now they'll mate and have tadpoles!"-apparently she's read that frogs croak as a mating call.

I'm hoping google is right and that it's fairly difficult to get frogs to breed in captivity!

That's funny. When I was growing up, being that we were on a farm, for some reason I thought that's how cows hugged each other. I remember when I was 5 I was sure babies were made because of hugs, after all, it worked with the cows.

Perhaps that's why I'm not a hugger :tongue_smilie:

The cows behind our house when I was little liked to play "piggy back":001_smile:

That counts! Last year at the San Diego Zoo, my boys watched galapagos turtles mate. The nice zoo attendent standing in front of them became a lovely shade of red and stuttered and stumbled awkwardly. My boys giggled quietly and rooted the old turtle on. Others were not so amused.

My friend took her soon to be four year old to their local fair yesterday. Upon waiting in line for the pony ride, her 4 yo loudly remarked, "Mommy, that pony is a boy! See his penis? And that one's a girl because there's no penis! And that other one is a boy because he also has a penis!" :lol:

We raised sheep when dd was young, so she caught on fairly early regarding the specifics of reproduction. We also often discussed genetics and which rams to cross with which ewes.

Once, we were at a friend's house and their dog tried to mate with another dog there. The friend was horrified and tried to cover it up, calling it hugging, playing, etc. Dd piped up and said, "Actually I think he is trying to mate with her, although I wouldn't think you would want to cross those two..." and launched into a big discussion of which of their genetic traits would be most likely to be dominant and why the size of the male would possibly lead to a difficult delivery of pups. I though my friend would die of shock and that I might die from laughing so hard at her reaction.:lol: