Menu

Neil Armstrong dies

He was a nice man. I grew up near where he lived and was in a 4-H horse club with one of his children. I do have the honor of saying that Neil Armstrong helped me carry my tack box into the show barn for the fair once. He was not at all conceited or pretentious.

My condolences to his family.:grouphug:

He was a nice man. I grew up near where he lived and was in a 4-H horse club with one of his children. I do have the honor of saying that Neil Armstrong helped me carry my tack box into the show barn for the fair once. He was not at all conceited or pretentious.

My condolences to his family.:grouphug:

How cool! :)

I'm sad too -- one of my early memories is the moonwalk.

I saw some interesting factoids in my twitter feed last night -- if I can find them I will come back and correct this. But there are something like only 6 men now alive who've walked on the moon, and no one whose been born after some date in the 1930s has walked on the moon.

I get budget concerns, and I realize I'm a space nut, but I'm wistful that we haven't done more to continue this quest.

One thing I read last night that I really liked about Armstrong -- in addition to his shyness, he was uncomfortable with the spotlight since he felt this shouldn't be about one person, but rather the whole team of people that made it happen. I wish more people internalized that!

Final item -- also in my twitter feed last night was the speech William Safire wrote for Nixon to be given in the event that the astronauts couldn't return and were stranded on the Moon. Interesting and chilling reading. Obviously Armstrong et al knew this was a possibility.

Truly a great American hero. I remember watching that first moon landing. It was my 5th birthday, and I thought they had chosen that day especially for that reason. :lol: They've been *my* astronauts ever since then.

He will be greatly missed. :patriot:

Oh that is so sweet!! I love that. What a wonderful thing to hold in your heart. :)

You're lucky, I only ever get hurricanes on my birthday as a "big event". hehehe :D