Menu

MEP?

Sharilynn29

For those of you who use MEP, I'm looking for thoughts on where to start with my 3rd grader. We are currently using R&S, which concentrates on drilling the math facts. While I like R&S, I would like to use MEP as a supplement. She doesn't have her facts to 20 down.

I was thinking about moving quickly through 1a because MEP uses many unique ways of learning (which I love). Most of this would be way too simple so I would focus just on certain assignments that I think she could benefit from. Most of the activities at this point are way too babyish as well.

Should I just jump into 1b or 2a? Should I start at 1a and move quickly? From those who have been there, done that. What should I do? We are using Education Unboxed as well to help cement those facts.

Thanks

We just recently switched ds8 to MEP. He was in between Saxon 5/4 and 6/5 so I tried him in MEP year 3. It was such a different approach than he was used to that we had to back up to year 2. Now he just does multiple lessons a day (but it is our primary math). So it is really hard to say for sure where to place a child. I would maybe just jump in at whatever level looks most appropriate to her level and then don't be afraid to jump up or back depending on how she does. Sorry I don't have a more concrete answer for you, but hopefully this will help.

She doesn't have her facts to 20 down.

Should I just jump into 1b or 2a? Should I start at 1a and move quickly? From those who have been there, done that. What should I do? We are using Education Unboxed as well to help cement those facts.

I'd try 1b first. It includes review of facts from 1a but moves much quickly. If it is too much, step down to 1a. Per the overview for year 2 "At the start of Y2 your students should ... know and easily recall number bonds up to 20."

I just started 1a with my kids and I don't think you should start at the beginning. It's easy to download the lesson pages and take a look at them. It shouldn't take too much digging to find a good starting spot. Try the start of 1b, or the last set of 1a and see how it looks.

I looked through all of the pages of 1a. I really like some of the questions that require more thought. I think I'm going to pick and choose a small variety of questions in 1a before moving to 1b. That way, she has an understanding of how to fill in the workbook pages on simple questions. We'll also be playing games from Education Unboxed and do a page of R&S each day. I think it will be a great balance. I'm glad I stumbled on such a wonderful curriculum. :hurray::hurray: