Menu

The most expensive free tickets ever!

BabyBaby won 2 tickets to our local major amusement park. :party: She was thrilled! I am happy she let us talk her into taking SweetChild as her ride partner.

I get very sick on rides, and Diamond doesn't like amusement parks. Even with her Black Belt and older sister, I would not let the two of them go to the park alone... so we had to buy a ticket for Dad. We could have bought half-price tickets from a friend, but they aren't good on weekends. So Dad is buying his ticket at the gate -I searched/asked around- no discounts anywhere this late in the season. If the Grannies were in better health, I absolutely would have sent them with a Grannie for a half-price senior admission ticket. :lol:

They did pack their lunch and some drinks, but with adult admission, dinner at the park, parking, allergy meds, and the traditional "Here's your funnel cake- now get in the car we're going home" treat, well, I could have paid someone $25 to take the tickets off my hands and still come out way ahead. :glare: :D :lol:

Anyway, they will have a fabulous time- BabyBaby is so excited... I sold some clothes to the resale/consignment shop and made the cost of DH's ticket. I'm being jokingly grumpy about it- but it's all OK. Just crazy to think of how much two free tickets will end up costing us.

They did pack their lunch and some drinks, but with adult admission, dinner at the park, parking, allergy meds, and the traditional "Here's your funnel cake- now get in the car we're going home" treat, well, I could have paid someone $25 to take the tickets off my hands and still come out way ahead. :glare: :D :lol:

Ya, we don't do the bolded part. It's cheaper to get your hand stamped on the way out of the park, have dinner at Friendly's including the kids' sundaes, and go back to the park. We don't pay to park at our local amusement park, either. What's that about?

LOL, that reminds me of the carnival fish the kids got four years ago. For a quarter or two, they played a little game at a carnival, and they each one a fish. So we had to buy a tank, filter, etc., etc., and the fish died shortly thereafter. The kids were upset, so we had to buy more fish (which weren't too expensive but not a quarter each, either). Four years later, we're still feeding the fish. So much for cheap. :)

Would you like to hear the story of how the garage door opener that we got as a Christmas gift ended up costing us $10,000? It would make you feel better about your tickets! LOL

Me, me...I want to hear this story!!!

And to the OP, I totally understand. I have learned when planning out any type of outing like this, to add in extra $, as there are always "extras" that we end up purchasing. I hope they all had a fun time though!

Grandpa gave us a garage door opener for Christmas one year. It's a very thoughtful gift since we live almost into Canada and hopping out of the car to open the door is NOT fun six months of the year! LOL

You need to know that the house in question was built in 1932 and was sold as a fixer-upper.

When we called the guy to install the garage door opener, he said he easily could do it, but the garage door was so old that it would shred as soon as we used it.

So, we called the garage door company and they said they could replace the door, but asked if we were going to replace the driveway since it was pathetic, the garage door would never be aligned properly.

So, we called the concrete people for a new driveway. Certainly, they said, the driveway could be replaced and so could the sidewalks. Great, we replied. We'd like to move the sidewalk a bit so it could go through the fence gate. What fence gate, they asked! We'd need to put the fence in before they could pour the concrete.

So, we had the fence installed and made the concrete people happier. BUT, the concrete people pointed out that the steps into the house were collapsing (and indeed they were....). They recommended that we get the steps replaced so that they could put the concrete right up to the steps.

So, we called a mason to replace the steps. The mason pointed out that the threshold of the front door was completely rotted and that it should be replaced so the steps could be properly fitted.

The carpenter we called said that the door and the doorframe were beyond repair and that it would be cheaper to replace the entire unit. So, we purchased a new front door.

Which meant that we needed a new STORM door to protect the main door (and up here, yes, you NEED storm doors!). So, we ordered a storm door and retro fit it to the house (because an OLD house is NOT a standard fit for anything!).

The door installer pointed out that the entryway tile was breaking up and that we have amazing mahogany hardwood under the tiles. So, we pulled up the tiles and called the floor refinisher.

The floor refinisher said that he wouldn't do such a small job, but, if we added in the kitchen floor, he would do it. So, we pulled up the old, asbestos-laden vinyl in the floor to expose gorgeous maple hardwood.

SO....we refinished the kitchen floor to get the entry floor refinished, to get the door installed, to get the storm door installed, to get the step installed, to get the concrete installed to get the fence installed, to get the driveway poured, to get a new garage door installed, to get the garage door opener installed. $10,000 for it all.

We should have returned the gift!!

The next year, the chimney fell off the house, necessitating a new roof and heating system and chimney.

The next year we sold this Money Pit and gave up on historical (or hysterical) houses.

I'll take your two tickets in a flash!!!!

The next year we sold this Money Pit and gave up on historical (or hysterical) houses.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I'm so sorry for all of your trouble. Your story was wonderful in the. It great that you can look back and laugh about it.

I can just see you two as Tom Hanks and Shelly Long in the old movie.

I hope you were blessed with trouble free, newer construction for your current house.

Grandpa gave us a garage door opener for Christmas one year. It's a very thoughtful gift since we live almost into Canada and hopping out of the car to open the door is NOT fun six months of the year! LOL

You need to know that the house in question was built in 1932 and was sold as a fixer-upper.

When we called the guy to install the garage door opener, he said he easily could do it, but the garage door was so old that it would shred as soon as we used it.

So, we called the garage door company and they said they could replace the door, but asked if we were going to replace the driveway since it was pathetic, the garage door would never be aligned properly.

So, we called the concrete people for a new driveway. Certainly, they said, the driveway could be replaced and so could the sidewalks. Great, we replied. We'd like to move the sidewalk a bit so it could go through the fence gate. What fence gate, they asked! We'd need to put the fence in before they could pour the concrete.

So, we had the fence installed and made the concrete people happier. BUT, the concrete people pointed out that the steps into the house were collapsing (and indeed they were....). They recommended that we get the steps replaced so that they could put the concrete right up to the steps.

So, we called a mason to replace the steps. The mason pointed out that the threshold of the front door was completely rotted and that it should be replaced so the steps could be properly fitted.

The carpenter we called said that the door and the doorframe were beyond repair and that it would be cheaper to replace the entire unit. So, we purchased a new front door.

Which meant that we needed a new STORM door to protect the main door (and up here, yes, you NEED storm doors!). So, we ordered a storm door and retro fit it to the house (because an OLD house is NOT a standard fit for anything!).

The door installer pointed out that the entryway tile was breaking up and that we have amazing mahogany hardwood under the tiles. So, we pulled up the tiles and called the floor refinisher.

The floor refinisher said that he wouldn't do such a small job, but, if we added in the kitchen floor, he would do it. So, we pulled up the old, asbestos-laden vinyl in the floor to expose gorgeous maple hardwood.

SO....we refinished the kitchen floor to get the entry floor refinished, to get the door installed, to get the storm door installed, to get the step installed, to get the concrete installed to get the fence installed, to get the driveway poured, to get a new garage door installed, to get the garage door opener installed. $10,000 for it all.

The next year, the chimney fell off the house, necessitating a new roof and heating system and chimney.

That story is hysterical!!

And our house was built in 1880 so sadly, your story is something we've lived through.

Oh, you want to install a countertop? You need to replace the backsplash then. While installing the backsplash we realize the outlets need to be a different color but the new ones won't work because the wiring is outdated. The electrician arrives....

Oh my...is it okay if I laugh a little??? I hope so, cause I am seriously :lol: right now.

I was thinking, as I was reading, that there had to be some point where you thought, "Maybe we should just sell the whole d@mn thing!" :lol::lol::lol: This is why I won't allow DH to touch my ancient, decrepit kitchen. We really need a new oven. But I don't want another wall oven, so that means we'd need to also replace the old, teeny cooktop, which would mean cutting into the counter/cabinets, which would mean a decrease of about 33% in my already paltry cabinet space, so we'd need to turn the old wall oven into cabinets... and so on. Same thing with the dying fridge from 1972--new fridges just don't fit into that space!

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry you had to deal with all that, but I appreciate the laugh!

So what happens if we give a ChemMommy a cookie?

Oh, you beat me to it!!!!! :lol:

Sadly, it is a completely true story!! Every last bit of it.

But, when you are embroiled in the situation, you don't stop to think about selling it because you can't sell a partially installed garage door opener, garage door, driveway, sidewalk, fence, steps, door, storm door, entry way, kitchen floor. It was a tidal wave of repairs!

Glad I could supply a giggle for everyone!

Keep you cookie....it scare me. I always hated reading that book, btw:001_smile:

Sadly, it is a completely true story!! Every last bit of it.

But, when you are embroiled in the situation, you don't stop to think about selling it because you can't sell a partially installed garage door opener, garage door, driveway, sidewalk, fence, steps, door, storm door, entry way, kitchen floor. It was a tidal wave of repairs!

Glad I could supply a giggle for everyone!

Keep you cookie....it scare me. I always hated reading that book, btw:001_smile:

:svengo: I think you should win a prize. Okay maybe nothing else free.

As I read this and thought of my similar experience I couldn't help but end it in my head with "....and if you give a mouse a cookie...."

We have "free" tadpoles that came from a friend's swimming pool. So far, we've bought an aquarium for the tadpoles, a different kind of water filter that let the water level be lower, tadpole food, a floating tadpole dock, a terrarium so we could move the frogs over as they started to get legs, crickets for the frogs to eat (at .10 a cricket, these add up fast!) , a cricket keeper and special gel cricket food/water so the silly bugs don't drown themselves, and so on. I'm guessing our "Free" tadpoles have cost over $200 so far.

Now DD wants a snake....

That's like the free tickets they give away from Six Flags for reading. There are so many other expenses it is definitely NOT a free day.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Expenses on our "free ticket" day at 6 Flags this year included parking, overpriced food and locker rental.:glare: Eh, that glare smiley is too harsh. Imagine that he got over it quick.

We did win good free tickets recently - to Cirque du Soleil! The parking still cost money, but I am absolutely not complaining a bit. Those were expensive tickets and the parking was cheap.

@Rebel Yell - In May 2009, I went from the city of Cali, to the city of Bogota, for a concert, because my favorite singer/group (from the Dominican Republic) was not doing a concert in Cali. That concert was on a Saturday night. The next morning, Sunday, we (the Fan club members), went to the hotel where they were staying, for photos, autographs, etc. The man who runs the fan club web site had come down here from Puerto Rico for the concert (and to meet us) and he asked the Manager if she could give him six (6) tickets, for the second concert, on Monday night, for some of the fan club members.

She came back from her room, with twenty (20) of the most expensive tickets. I was there alone and I got one of the free tickets. The most expensive ones. No seats. Standing only, close to the stage. So, I called my wife and told her that they had given us free tickets to the next concert and that I had to stay in the hotel for two (2) additional nights and eat in restaurants for two (2) additional days. :)

We got there early, waited outside for hours, until they opened the doors and the stampede for the stage began. Not early enough to be exactly in the center, but we were in the first row, about 2 meters (yards) from the center. I could just see the words of my favorite songs coming out of the mouth of my favorite singer. And, the three (3) backup singers were standing about one (1) meter (yard) in front of us. The female singer sent me a kiss from the stage. :)

Expensive. Yes. Would I do it again? Yes, in an instant, if we could afford it. Something I won't ever forget. :001_smile:

@ChemMommy - Pam- Thank you for sharing your incredible story with us! Possibly you can write that up and have it published, as a short story, in the Readers Digest or another magazine? You did a great job of explaining it to us, and you have a great sense of humor!

Wow, it's like a horror-laden adult version of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie! :lol: "If you give ChemMommy a new garage door opener, she's going to want a garage door to go with it. . . "

Would you like to hear the story of how the garage door opener that we got as a Christmas gift ended up costing us $10,000? It would make you feel better about your tickets! LOL

Oh my gosh that was hilarious.

Ya, we don't do the bolded part. It's cheaper to get your hand stamped on the way out of the park, have dinner at Friendly's including the kids' sundaes, and go back to the park. We don't pay to park at our local amusement park, either. What's that about?

free parking is WAAAAAAAY up a winding hill so you either take the free ski lift with 2 kids and a cooler or wait for the psycho shuttle bus that gets there eventually and is a thrill ride in itself. DH has a bad back, BabyBaby has a hip injury, and we knew they'd make at least 2 trips to the car for food, warmer clothes, dry clothes, etc... and just wanted to park close. The only restaurant close by is a LOOOOONG walk, overpriced, and carpy. In a really run-down neighborhood. And neither child qualifies for the children's menu pricing.

We did win good free tickets recently - to Cirque du Soleil! The parking still cost money, but I am absolutely not complaining a bit. Those were expensive tickets and the parking was cheap.

SO JEALOUS!

@Rebel Yell <snipped> we were in the first row, about 2 meters (yards) from the center. I could just see the words of my favorite songs coming out of the mouth of my favorite singer. And, the three (3) backup singers were standing about one (1) meter (yard) in front of us. The female singer sent me a kiss from the stage. :)

Expensive. Yes. Would I do it again? Yes, in an instant, if we could afford it. Something I won't ever forget. :001_smile:

:iagree: How amazing!

The update: Total extra cost for the "free" tickets was about $75. I won't include the cost for the chiropractor/physical therapy appointment since DH was needing those anyway. They did have a great time, but spent more time than usual waiting in really long lines . Diamond & I went out to lunch and did the grocery shopping. Great day all around.