Menu

Trouble with alphabet letters...should I be concerned?

My K'er is having a really hard time remembering the names of the letters. We use AAR, pre-level 1, and I stopped the lessons yesterday at letter G; I don't want to continue until he has A-G down pat. Yesterday, I spread out all of the activity sheets he has completed thus far and we played games with them. He knows A and B for sure, but gets D-G mixed up every single time.

A few bits of info, in case it matters: He went to Montessori for 2 years, where they focused on sounds, but not letter names. He has always written a few letters in his name backwards (I have not really tried to correct this yet). He has no problems with number recognition (1-10).

My older two kids were already reading by the time they started K, so this is all new to me.

Should I be concerned or is it too early? Any suggestions?

It's ok to not know letter names yet, as long as he knows the sounds. The sounds are the important part for reading. Letter names are useful for spelling (so you can say the /e/ is spelled with "ea" in the word "spread").

Have you tried Leap Frog Letter Factory? Most kids learn letters - names and sounds - within a few days if they're watching it over and over again. :D My son's K teacher used it in her class regularly also, so it's not too young for K. :)

It's ok to not know letter names yet, as long as he knows the sounds. The sounds are the important part for reading. Letter names are useful for spelling (so you can say the /e/ is spelled with "ea" in the word "spread").

Have you tried Leap Frog Letter Factory? Most kids learn letters - names and sounds - within a few days if they're watching it over and over again. :D My son's K teacher used it in her class regularly also, so it's not too young for K. :)

Ok, that makes me feel better. Just bought Letter Factory last week, he has watched it a few times (and loves it!). :001_smile:

This happened with my ds. He learned his letter sounds first; I had been using SWR since dd learned to read. He had the hardest time learning the letter names. I was seriously in a panic something was wrong with him. It took a looooong time. I decided this time around, to teach letter names and sounds together. We watch the Letter Factory DVD with my 2yo. He knows all his letter names and first sounds at 2 1/2. I can ask him what the letter "b" is and he"ll say B. I can say what sound does it make, and he'll tell me the sound. Now, i am moving on to all the sounds they make. For me, it just makes sense. I was always fearful of someone asking ds what a letter was. Like the eye chart at the ped's office, or grandpa telling him how to spell a word using letter names. I know everyone says sounds are better first, and I do believe that. I also think the names are equally important in certain situations.

Sandy

:iagree:

I would just like to second Leapfrog Letter Factory. The new videos by Leapfrog just aren't the same quality.