Menu

Does dd need this much vocabulary?

I have planned for dd to several things this year that involves quite a bit of vocabulary. It's seeming like busy work and that she won't really retain much of it. She did Vocabulary for the High School student last year. Here are the subjects she has this year that involve some kind of vocabulary.

Apologia Biology (lots of vocabulary every week)

Literature Guides for Medieval World Lit (guides such as Progeny Press)

Chortling Bard (10-12 vocabulary words a week; I'm having her look up definitions and write her own sentences.)

Lively Art of Writing (I'm using the free workbook that someone posted here. It has a vocabulary worksheet or two every week.)

Word Smart This will cover 823 words with definitions, sample sentences, and matching quizzes every 10 or so words.

Her other subjects are Geometry, Proverbs (Positive Action), Biblioplan Year 2, World Geography (Glencoe and some of Trail Guide), and Spanish.

Any suggestions?

I have planned for dd to several things this year that involves quite a bit of vocabulary. It's seeming like busy work and that she won't really retain much of it. She did Vocabulary for the High School student last year. Here are the subjects she has this year that involve some kind of vocabulary.

Apologia Biology (lots of vocabulary every week)

Literature Guides for Medieval World Lit (guides such as Progeny Press)

Chortling Bard (10-12 vocabulary words a week; I'm having her look up definitions and write her own sentences.)

Lively Art of Writing (I'm using the free workbook that someone posted here. It has a vocabulary worksheet or two every week.)

Word Smart This will cover 823 words with definitions, sample sentences, and matching quizzes every 10 or so words.

Her other subjects are Geometry, Proverbs (Positive Action), Biblioplan Year 2, World Geography (Glencoe and some of Trail Guide), and Spanish.

Any suggestions?

Yes, too much vocabulary. She can't skip the biology vocab, so look elsewhere.

I'd most certainly eliminate at least one of the vocabulary only choices; I can't imagine why you would use two. So, for starters, at least Chortling Bard or Word Smart would go.

Then, I would look at the vocab work that is part of the other program. If it's busy work, dump it. If it's worthwhile, and there is a lot of it, then why would you need a separate vocab program at all? Remember, there will be lots of vocabulary in Spanish as well!

Thank you both! I had a crazy summer and really made some of these choices independently of each other. I guess I wanted as much exposure to vocabulary as possible because of the SAT having so much.

The Biology definitely can't go as well as the Spanish. I think I'm going to ditch Word Smart. The Chortling Bard book is really a grammar editing program that includes some vocabulary. She needs the grammar editing because she needs to get better at proofreading. It only has 120 lessons for the whole year, and the LAOW workbook won't be the whole year.