Menu

Help me spend $15o per subject

momto4kings

My 6th grader will be a part of a charter school which will reimburse me for educational materials up to $150 per subject, for three subjects, plus up to $350 for a third party provider for PE, music, or up to $150 if I choose another core subject. I also have $300 technology allowance. I already have a lot of stuff, so I'm having a hard time deciding how to spend the money wisely.

Here is my plan so far:

Math: TT algebra--I have it from previous children.

Language arts--Rod and Staff 6 (have it)

WWE 4 and WWS 1 (have those)

Vocabulary/Spelling--Wordsmart online, he's done that before and likes it, but I don't know how much he is actually learning from it. I could get this for $50/yr

Science--The Rainbow, I just bought it, $270

History--Quest for a hemisphere (US history) (have it)

Flash game development--an online class provided by the charter school

3D art modeling--an online class provided by the charter school

I don't have time to do music or art, besides he doesn't care about those anyway.

PE: he is doing football through the community center, then basketball during the winter and soccer in the spring. (I don't know if the charter school will pay for all of these up to $350 or only up to $150.)

This is what the school requires me to choose:

Subject 1: core, up to $150 for supplies

Subject 2: core, up to $150 for supplies

Subject 3: tech class provided by the school

Subject 4: tech class OR another core, or PE, or third party class provider (I think, but not 100% sure, up to $350 for 3rd party classes, but up to $150 if it is a core class that I make up and teach.

Clear as mud?

I would like to pick subjects which will allow me to maximize the use of available funds (I will still teach all the subjects that I normally teach, the school only requires me to report on those 4 I submit.

For one of the core subjects I will choose science, since I already bought it, and I will be reimbursed $150 for it.

How should I spend the rest of the money? What technology should I get? We already have enough computers/laptops, but don't have an iPad. Would that be educational?

Thanks for all your help!

I'm a bit confused (as you are it sounds like!) by some of the different ins and outs. But if I could buy an iPad and have $300 of it reimbursed, then I would absolutely do that. No question. We love, love, love our iPad and the educational ways to use it are pretty excellent. I was initially not sold that it would be better than a laptop, but I'm sold now.

You may even be able to find a refurb on the apple site for $300!!! I would totally go for an iPad.

What about special projects? Lap books? For Language Arts, can you add all the lit he will read? Audiobooks?

Foreign language? Fancy computer program for it? What about the homeschool Spanish academy or whatever?

You may even be able to find a refurb on the apple site for $300!!! I would totally go for an iPad.

What about special projects? Lap books? For Language Arts, can you add all the lit he will read? Audiobooks?

Foreign language? Fancy computer program for it? What about the homeschool Spanish academy or whatever?

I don't want to do a foreign language for several reasons.

What special projects would you recommend? What are lap books? So far, most of his reading has been from The Story of the World AG, so I could use some suggestions for literature.

Thanks for your help.

Lapbooks are little side projects that help you go in more depth in some subjects, books, etc. it's easier if you google it. I'm not sure how to explain lol!

For projects I was thinking maybe some big things to with history or something? Idk, I'm thinking all kinds of manipulatives, maps, etc?

I don't mind telling you--MyTechHigh.com

Huh. Apparently, that's the company our charter school is using too because they're listed on their website. However, the school didn't mention them or the rest of the resources that might be available!

Sorry, I know I'm not providing any helpful information here. Just kind of puzzled.

Wow, that really is a sweet deal. We're getting some reimbursement from the charter school this year, but it's nothing compared to this! What state are you in?

I'm in Utah now, but a few years ago we lived in CA where we did a charter school which reimbursed up to $1800 per student, but we had to return all non-consumables. Here, we get to keep everything, including the technology stuff, but the reimbursement amounts for multiple classes cannot be combined.

That's what's causing my dilemma--I must choose subjects for which I need to buy stuff, or else I "lose" the money. For example, I spent $270 for science and I will be reimbursed $150 of it. For LA I only need WordSmart online ($50) since I have everything else already, but the rest of the money, $100 will not be applied towards science. So I am trying to figure out which subject to put on the list so I can "spend" the money. Does this make any sense?