Menu

Seat up or down?

Seat up or down?  

1. 1. Seat up or down?

• Up
    • Down
    • We are free from pesky indoor plumbing.

My step-father kept complaining when he was here that the kids were leaving the toilet seat up all the time. I told him that there were 3 guys and 3 girls in this house and so it didn't matter. We were all used to it and checked first.

So, what is your policy? Does it matter?

ETA: Go ahead and select no indoor plumbing if it doesn't matter.

Edited by True Blue

I voted down but, for us, that means the lid too!

When I first met DH he had been a bachelor or living only with males for a very long time. He never used to put the seat down. I, on the other hand, had grown up in a household where the seat was always put down so it used to drive me nuts.

We had a bit of a chat about it and DH's reasoning was that he had to lift the seat everytime and I had to lower the seat everytime, so it made equal work. It was a fair observation but I hated seeing the toilet seat up :glare:

We compromised: if everybody puts both the lid and the seat down when finished, everybody has to lift something when they want to go. Still equal work, but looks so much cleaner and tidier;)

My step-father kept complaining when he was here that the kids were leaving the toilet seat up all the time. I told him that there were 3 guys and 3 girls in this house and so it didn't matter. We were all used to it and checked first.

So, what is your policy? Does it matter?

I voted "pesky indoor plumbing" in lieu of there being no "other" option. :tongue_smilie: Three guys, two girls. Up or down, doesn't matter. DH does leave the master seat down for me, out of habit, and DD does prefer to use that bathroom because, frankly, she's not keen on sharing her bathroom with her brothers...and I don't blame her for that...

Seat down

Lid down

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We can *always* tell when someone else uses any toilet in our house, because none of our friends ever put the lid down--or workers. That's how we discovered they (window installers) were using our master bath toilet. :glare:

It's a quirky family thing, that's for sure.

Yes, germs. Mike Rowe did an episode about germs that spray up when you don't close the lid before flushing. It was kind of gross what microscopic germs they found.

Yeah, but then didn't Mythbusters do a show on it too? I thought they found out that the germs were all over the bathroom anyway, regardless of whether the lid was down or not.

Yeah, but then didn't Mythbusters do a show on it too? I thought they found out that the germs were all over the bathroom anyway, regardless of whether the lid was down or not.

I hope so because you and I are obviously raising a bunch of germ-ridden barbarians. I had no idea people took the seat issue so seriously. :lol:

Anyone who doesn't want to be awakened by my screams in the night when I fall in had better put it down! I am willing to hunt down and punish offenders.

That said, my guys are well trained, the seat is always down. :D

:iagree:Sit and lid down in my house, before you flush.

I didn't see that one. However, the way our bathroom is set up we have our toiletries stored above the toilet.

Plus aesthetically I just like the seat and lid down.

I didn't see that one. However, the way our bathroom is set up we have our toiletries stored above the toilet.

I had a realtor that was insistent that we keep lids down for showings. Now I know why.

Seat and lid down. All the boys in my house can manage this feat. :tongue_smilie: Hub, teen, toddler, and one between.

I teach them this the very first day they sit on the pot themselves. Pee, lid down, flush, wash. It's a deeply engrained habit by the time they no longer need momma to help them with their business.

Once a couple years ago a couple kids slipped on the habit. We looked up how far a toilet can splash when open and measured it out. Their toothbrushes were in range. Magically, the reminders were no longer needed.

Edited by SilverMoon

Yes. I'm not so much worried about getting sick. It's the thought of fecal matter and whatever other germs from the toilet splashing onto my toothbrush. Yuck.

I am so lucky. When my dh was a kid he dropped something into the seat-up toilet and was traumatized. He has always insisted the seat/cover go down after business, so everyone here does that. It is great, because our bathroom is small so things that are dropped always bounce off the closed seat.

Well, then you really super-duper do not want to read what Mythbusters found out. :lol:

It didn't say, but was their study done with the seat up or down? So many factors can attribute to the fact that even the controls had it on them, especially if they or whoever else touched those toothbrushes didn't wash their hands properly before they were handled. If putting the seat and lid down will prevent it, even a small amount, then for me that is a good enough reason to do it. :)

It didn't say, but was their study done with the seat up or down? So many factors can attribute to the fact that even the controls had it on them, especially if they or whoever else touched those toothbrushes didn't wash their hands properly before they were handled. If putting the seat and lid down will prevent it, even a small amount, then for me that is a good enough reason to do it. :)

Can't remember. The video is linked in the summary though. My take away was that your toothbrush isn't safe anywhere. I will say our master toilet is in its own little room, nowhere near the sinks, and the kids keep their toothbrushes in a jar in the medicine cabinet.

I voted down, b/c I insist that everyone in our house puts the seat AND the lid down before they flush, to prevent germs from spraying around the bathroom when they flush.

:iagree:

The idea of flushing with the lid up gives me the heeby jeebies.

Seat down

Lid down

When DH and I got married, we agreed to put both down. This is what we taught the kids. Our 4 and 2 year olds are still in training. The older boys are in the habit of putting them down. It's never been an issue here.

Replacing the toilet paper is a whole 'nother story.:)

:iagree:

Seat down, lid down.

My policy dates back a few dwellings ago, but it was not followed by anyone other than me. My kitty's litter box was right next to the toilet. Well.... someone (not me!) left the lid and seat up, and kitty jumped up on the toilet seat in the middle of the night, only the seat was not there, so kitty took a bath... then leapt out and landed in the litter box... and then came climbing under the bedcovers. :ack2: :lol: