Menu

opinions on Christian Light Education?

faiths13

I'm using second and fourth grade math and second, third, and fifth grade reading right now. I'm very happy with those subjects. I probably wouldn't use them for everything because I'm just not ever happy to just use one publisher across all subjects.

I've also used the LA in the past and have been very satisfied with that part of their program also.

I love it!

I've used 1st LTR, reading, math & LA, 2nd-5th reading, math, & LA.

But my youngest is not a workbook kid, so I had to switch everything except math. And my 4th grader is doing Essentials through Classical Conversations. Plus I had issues with him not finishing book, so we are trying Sonlight for reading this year. It's just a very different year all around. :)

My youngest used the full program for a few months back in the 90s while we were attending a Mennonite church. So much of it has been rewritten since then and it's less choppy. The mid grade science and social studies were a combination of an Alpha Omega rewrite and textbooks that had been written by CLE before they decided to rewrite the Alpha Omega, and it didn't all blend as well as a complete curriculum should. I still see a bit of that choppiness, but it's not the end of the world.

The math is pretty good. My friend uses it, and I've seen an amazing change in her DD since they started a couple years ago! They also used the LA for a while, but ended up switching to GWG and being happier with that.

I used the 1st grade reading and wasn't impressed with the busy work and the overuse of the schwa, but the 4th grade on up does look pretty good.

My opinion is that "light" is a perfect description. SIL used to use CLE. I used Abeka (for certain core subjects...math for example). Abeka is known to be typically a year ahead. CLE was at least two years behind Abeka. It also reminded me of ACE Paces. That was a definite turn off.

My opinion is that "light" is a perfect description. SIL used to use CLE. I used Abeka (for certain core subjects...math for example). Abeka is known to be typically a year ahead. CLE was at least two years behind Abeka. It also reminded me of ACE Paces. That was a definite turn off.

Depending on how long ago she used it, that may have been the case. But they have been updating to the Sunrise Editions and it is no longer behind. I believe it is ahead based on how well my children tested this year. Although I have only used Abeka for history and science, and I agree that Abeka is better than CLE in those subjects.

We've used CLE since 1st grade - Lily is now in 3rd. CLE LA was/is great. CLE Reading was not good for an advanced reader. CLE Reading 100 was teaching phonics and learning to read, but DD was already reading so far above that she was bored with "c says /c/" I have really enjoyed the LA aspect. If I had one complaint, it would be that it's a little light on writing for my sake. This isn't a problem for us, but I see how it could be for others.

Having said that, we're using CLE Reading this year because it incorporates literary elements that I wanted her to be familiar and comfortable with. It's been a much better fit now than it was 2 years ago. One week in and the lessons this week have covered figurative speech, fact and opinion, and skimming.

I've taught PS in the past and between that and comparisons of what DD is doing with what her PS friends are doing, CLE is definitely NOT behind. I would put it a year ahead. I've had DD mention something she did and gotten :O and "In 2nd grade?!" (this was last year) from them.

Depending on how long ago she used it, that may have been the case. But they have been updating to the Sunrise Editions and it is no longer behind. I believe it is ahead based on how well my children tested this year.

:iagree: My friend's DD was using it a year behind, and she scored very well on her SAT-10 in math - at grade level.

Looking at the scope and sequence, I do think CLE runs a bit ahead of curricula such as Saxon. The first grade starts out at K level, because that's when they expect kids to start school, but then it ramps up quite a bit by the end of that year.

I'm not sure how the S&S compares to A Beka, but I know A Beka tends to run ahead in the early years, then slow down a lot. So that may also contribute to what the PP saw. I'm a Singapore user, and it has a different S&S also, but I don't look at Math Mammoth and say it's "behind" because it introduces long division in 4th grade instead of 3rd grade like Singapore. MM is doing the normal thing, and Singapore is just introducing it early. CLE is on target or a bit earlier in introducing various topics, especially if you're comparing with public school S&S.

I've heard bad things about the old versions of CLE math, which were just AO Lifepacs rebranded, but the current Sunrise Editions are quite good.

Depending on how long ago she used it, that may have been the case. But they have been updating to the Sunrise Editions and it is no longer behind. I believe it is ahead based on how well my children tested this year. Although I have only used Abeka for history and science, and I agree that Abeka is better than CLE in those subjects.

Abt 6yrs ago was when I last looked at it. Math was extremely behind at that time. History and Science most likely were also, given how little my nieces and nephews knew. However, this is WHY my BIL/SIL used CLE. BIL wanted their kids to have as minimal of an education at possible and planned on recycling them through "8th grade" until they aged out :glare:

Glad to hear that they are updating :)

ftr: when I say behind, this is what I saw: My oldest son and his cousin were the same age grade. He was doing multiplication, division, fractions, and measurements. She was still working on two digit addition and subtraction. My niece knew NOTHING about history other than the very basics of certain Bible stories. She knew nothing of this country. By this point, my kids had gone from creation thru the American Civil War and the French Revolution.

Edited by mommaduck

I have not used CLE's science and social studies. We use the math and love it. We have also used Rightstart and parts of singapore and MEP. They are all very similiar in the topics covered at the very early grades. CLE is our base math program and we love it.

The reading and language arts was very solid (for the beginning grades; I haven't used anything beyond that), but it was a lot of what I consider busy work also. We plan to revisit their reading curriculum in grade 4. Until then we are using Pathway.

we switched to CLE when my daughter was in grade 2. she is now in grade 5. my son has only used CLE & is now in grade 3. it is definitely not behind (and certainly not by abeka's math) & is a phenomenal program. i do not like any of the other subjects they offer, aside from their Learning to Read program. Your children are older, so I would definitely recommend a placement test.

I think CLE is one of the most thoughtful, well put together boxed curricula out there. It is sequential, challenging without being frustrating, and effective.

The above is my thoughts on the reading, math and LA.

I have used levels 100,200,300, 400, 500,600 & 700...but not all levels with all kids.

I do NOT like their science or history. NOT my cuppa.....I like to do my own thing, more of a WTM/CM ish combo.

Another caveat: my youngest son goes running from the room when he sees a light unit. This program just did not work for him. He loves ABeka math though....so go figure:tongue_smilie:

ETA: I have used many, many math curricula. CLE is not behind the more rigorous ones. It is maybe a few steps behind Singapore, but not an entire grade level, it is well ahead of what our neighbor uses in PS, it is ahead of BJU, Saxon, and MCP. A Beka is slightly ( maybe a term? ) ahead, but also it's sequence is different....and CLE offers much more geometry, algebra readiness and drill work than other programs we have used.

Edited by Mommyfaithe

CLE math is in no way "behind". We used it for a few years, and I liked it but it moved too fast for my non-mathy DD.

The LA is okay, it's a bit weird in spots, but mostly it just doesn't have enough writing in the Light Units. It's not behind though.

The LA and Math are easy to implement and use. It's a good program, and I would love to still be using it ;).

ftr: when I say behind, this is what I saw: My oldest son and his cousin were the same age grade. He was doing multiplication, division, fractions, and measurements. She was still working on two digit addition and subtraction.

CLE grade 1 gets into double digit addition and subtraction. The others you mention are all done by grade 4, which would be typical. Definitely sounds like you saw the old Lifepacs, not the Sunrise Editions. The SE is what everyone talks about these days when discussing CLE math. They've been out for quite a while now in the elementary grades. The algebra on up are just now being updated.

CLE grade 1 gets into double digit addition and subtraction. The others you mention are all done by grade 4, which would be typical. Definitely sounds like you saw the old Lifepacs, not the Sunrise Editions. The SE is what everyone talks about these days when discussing CLE math. They've been out for quite a while now in the elementary grades. The algebra on up are just now being updated.

This was about third or fourth grade and I was looking through my niece's booklet (yes, I believe it was the old Lifepacs...my SIL may have been getting them second hand even). Again, I'm really glad to hear that the company is upping things.

I am very surprised Lifepacs would be THAT far behind, surely that isn't the case!? :001_huh: I have a friend who uses those for math and she tells me what they are working on. She wanted to compare notes to make sure it wasn't behind. He's in fourth grade and working on division facts, multiplication of larger numbers, etc. I just don't think that Lifepacs teach it as well as CLE.

My son is using CLE math3 this year (he used Saxon 3 last year- but he's repeating 3rd grade this year bc of some other issues). It is light years ahead of Saxon 3. We started last week, and my daughter (who's using Saxon 3) is doing addition of doubles (3+3, etc.) time only to the 1/2 hour, graphing birthdays by month, etc. My son is doing borrowing/carrying, adding 3 digit numbers, telling time to the minute, fractions and multiplication - this is all before the 5th lesson!! That said, even though it is ahead, I'm not impressed with the way CLE "teaches" math. Actually, there isn't much teaching at all. CLE (so far) just tells the student what to do (when borrowing, cross this number out, put the one over here, etc.). Saxon "showed" what was going on using money - changing out pennies for dimes, etc. CLE math is moving very fast, and each lesson is 4 pages long! My son isn't complaining yet... but I'm not as happy with the math as I thought (hoped) I would be.

My son is using CLE math3 this year (he used Saxon 3 last year- but he's repeating 3rd grade this year bc of some other issues). It is light years ahead of Saxon 3. We started last week, and my daughter (who's using Saxon 3) is doing addition of doubles (3+3, etc.) time only to the 1/2 hour, graphing birthdays by month, etc. My son is doing borrowing/carrying, adding 3 digit numbers, telling time to the minute, fractions and multiplication - this is all before the 5th lesson!! That said, even though it is ahead, I'm not impressed with the way CLE "teaches" math. Actually, there isn't much teaching at all. CLE (so far) just tells the student what to do (when borrowing, cross this number out, put the one over here, etc.). Saxon "showed" what was going on using money - changing out pennies for dimes, etc. CLE math is moving very fast, and each lesson is 4 pages long! My son isn't complaining yet... but I'm not as happy with the math as I thought (hoped) I would be.

When they very first introduce the concept in 2nd grade, it does introduce it conceptually but that is done incrementally. They typically use pictures rather than hands on. That would have been review and they don't go back to review the conceptual part. So jumping in, it will seem that way but as it goes on you will see that they are teaching concepts for anything new.

When they very first introduce the concept in 2nd grade, it does introduce it conceptually but that is done incrementally. They typically use pictures rather than hands on. That would have been review and they don't go back to review the conceptual part. So jumping in, it will seem that way but as it goes on you will see that they are teaching concepts for anything new.

:iagree: The things my friend has hit that were *new* topics, they were taught very well and appeared to me to be conceptually explained, but without hands on aspect. They don't revisit the conceptual explanation later though, which may cause some students to get into plug and chug mode (I think the same thing happens with Saxon - conceptually explained the first time, then the conceptual explanation is never done again and some students forget it and just plug and chug... except the morning meeting stuff, which is repeated day after day after day... my oldest had rock solid place value understanding after doing Saxon in school because of the morning meeting, which I basically replicated with DS2 as long as he needed it and got the same results).

We use the Language Arts and I love it.

DS8 likes it because I just teach him the new concepts and he can do it pretty much on his own. AND, he's a box checker and there are boxes for the child to "check" when he is finished with a section :)

I loved FLL and WWE, but it wasn't a good fit for DS and his learning style. CLE fits him perfectly.

My dd is beginning her 4th year with CLE math and my ds, his 3rd. I love CLE math. My dd used CLE LA for a number of years, but now that she's going into 5th grade, I'm switching her to Hake. My son's been using Hake for the last 3 years and I prefer it for middle school. I did like CLE for elementary until last year. At that point, it started to feel scattered to me. Hake feels more streamlined and effective for whatever reason.

I'd love to add in CLE reading, but we use SL and I'm not giving that up! But, believe me, I have tried to figure a way to squeeze it in. There just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I would like to.

Lisa

I actually visited their store at their publishing house about 2 weeks ago. I think it would be a good fit for a workbook-y kid who enjoys box checking, and if I HAD to choose between, say, ABeka and CLE, I'd go with CLE because philosophically, it's a better fit for me, and academically it looks solid.

I also have to say-I LOVE some of what they had in the store for secondary. There are a lot of LUs available for vocational and life skills topics, and I think having the breakdown on HOW to teach such a skill will be helpful to me.

I agree. In CLE 100 the concepts are introduced first. For place value, they do initially include hands-on in the form of toothpick bundles and a place value chart. We used base-10 blocks, but the concept was still there with the toothpicks. They then move on to base-10 pictures. I have been impressed with the amount of conceptual teaching that occurs in CLE math given the negative comments it sometimes receives. At first glance it can look like the conceptual teaching is not there if you miss where it was first taught. Like Boscopup said, they do not repeat the conceptual teaching much, so if you come in at a higher level, you may miss some of that.

We also use RightStart and Singapore, and CLE seems more thorough in its overall coverage but lighter in its word problems and mental strategies so far. We are only in 2nd grade this year. If I had to pick just one program, though, I would actually choose CLE because it covers things so thoroughly, like place value, skip counting, geometry, time, and money. It's a continual progression of building skills that doesn't seems random but rather solid and purposeful. I'd rather add to it than try to duplicate it elsewhere.

HTH,

Kathy

I liked it enough, we used it for gr 4 language arts last year for my oldest ds- he hated it! He did the work and did very well, soldiered on well most days, but he begged me to switch to something different do we are. I found the grading tests and quizzes to be really frustrating, and also questioned the flow from

time to time. We both really hate the focus on diagramming! ;) I think it's probably a great program for some, but it's not for everyone. My 8 yr old dd did R&S LA last year and I'm switching that too, she cried a lot, found it so boring, she likes things with color and pictures and needs consumable workbooks.

My 4th grader, who is pretty strong in language arts, found it repetitive and dull. She does not need frequent review.

My 2nd grader adored the workbooks, but retained very little. :confused: There is sooooo much repetition I'm not sure how that was possible. I think the problem was that she loved the wb so much she kept forging ahead without understanding or letting me check her work. It was really my fault for not slowing her down and checking her work daily.

I think the language arts program is well done, and best for kids who need lots of review.

Edited by Julianna