Menu

Using big truths for little kids? catechism.

Momof2littles

How do you use this in your homeschool?

I've never learned or heard of catechism until recently. Thanks!

We used Big Truths for Little Kids to introduce the ideas of the catechism and for family devotions. This book is based on the First Catechism. The First Catechism is an update of the Catechism for Young Children which itself is based on the Westminster Shorter Catechism.

Neither my husband nor I grew up with catechism, but we find it to be one of the most valuable tools for answering questions from our children or for helping them to think through things like "Why do we go to church?" or "Why were we baptized?" or "Why do I have to obey?" Setting the 10 Commandments into what they teach, How does Jesus take care of us? Every Sunday we use the questions and answers as we discuss worship and what we do there and what we expect of them as we drive to church. Seriously, we use their catechism questions regularly!

My oldest is done, she's reviewing before she tells them to an elder at church (yay!) Then we'll do the Shorter Catechism.

We do catechism during our Circle Time (memory work). I broke it up into sections of questions (similar to this, but these questions are a bit of a mixture of the old and new catechism!) and we memorize a section at a time until it is pretty much perfect, and then move that section through our system which is based on the Simply Charlotte Mason memory system. When we get to the daily part, I put one question per day and break the sections up so the questions are known out of context.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

We used Big Truths for Little Kids to introduce the ideas of the catechism and for family devotions. This book is based on the First Catechism. The First Catechism is an update of the Catechism for Young Children which itself is based on the Westminster Shorter Catechism.

Neither my husband nor I grew up with catechism, but we find it to be one of the most valuable tools for answering questions from our children or for helping them to think through things like "Why do we go to church?" or "Why were we baptized?" or "Why do I have to obey?" Setting the 10 Commandments into what they teach, How does Jesus take care of us? Every Sunday we use the questions and answers as we discuss worship and what we do there and what we expect of them as we drive to church. Seriously, we use their catechism questions regularly!

My oldest is done, she's reviewing before she tells them to an elder at church (yay!) Then we'll do the Shorter Catechism.

We do catechism during our Circle Time (memory work). I broke it up into sections of questions (similar to this, but these questions are a bit of a mixture of the old and new catechism!) and we memorize a section at a time until it is pretty much perfect, and then move that section through our system which is based on the Simply Charlotte Mason memory system. When we get to the daily part, I put one question per day and break the sections up so the questions are known out of context.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you! Do you also memorize scripture?

Thank you! Do you also memorize scripture?

We do. We're just finishing learning the Beattitudes in Matthew 5:1-12. We've learned Psalm 1, 100, 130, Gen 1-2:4, and Galatians 5:22-23. We always work on Luke 2 during our Yuletide Session.

Because of Catechism, they also have the 10 Commandments memorized (and the Lord's Prayer because of worship).

I think we're going to do part of Phil 2; at least verses 5-11, but possibly more, next.

Beyond that, here's a link to a post I wrote about memory work. We also memorize hymns and creeds.

I've been using First Catechims since my kids were about 2 yrs old. We just go through it over and over, learning & relearning a few questions at a time. I absolutely love what catechism has done for my kids in terms of theological knowledge. And it gives me the confidence to answer questions about the faith in a way that I know is sound (not just off the top of my head). Big Truths goes along with the catechism, and we also go through that from time to time. It can be used as a devotional for the whole family, if desired.