Menu

If you have this IKEA bed, can you recommend it?

One of my best purchases ever. Make sure you get the coordinating bed tent; it discourages standing on the top bunk in addition to being cool.

Bunk%2520bed.jpg

ETA: It is extremely sturdy and both girls loved it and slept well from the very first night. I love the height of it. In the background you will see the edge of a 1 by 5 Expedit unit which has worked really well for both storage and seating, although it isn't specifically designed for seating.

Edited by abacus2

We loved it so much we bought a second one.:D My son has one all to himself in his room. My girls use theirs as a 'bunk' bed. I was afraid of what my youngest could do to herself with a regular bunk bed, and this was a good compromise.

Very sturdy and solid. My son's is 6 yrs old and probably needs some hardware tightening, but it's still very sturdy. One of my very few complaints (other than the tent doesn't come in any other color/pattern options :)) is that you have to take it partially apart to fit it through a standard door frame. So build it IN the room where you plan to keep it!

Just to give an alternative opinion:

I don't HATE the bed, but it's not my favorite either. Here's why:

1) if you're going to use as a bunk this might not be an issue, but the space under is too low to put a lot of things or to play for my tall boy, so he just throws stuff under there in a big pile. I have finally realized that his toy basket cubbies will fit under, so as soon as he cleans it out I will put those under there to free up some floor space

2) when he got sick and was throwing up in his bed at night, it was a pain to change the sheets. I had to take off the tent, climb up in the [pukey] bed to free the sheets from the far corner, and then again to put the new sheets on. Then I wanted to stay with him cuz he kept puking, so I ended up sorta propped up on the end of the bed in a very uncomfy position.

3) he and his friends want to play "fort" up there and I worry about their safety. It does feel pretty sturdy, but it still says that only one child at a time should be up there.

4) I suspect we're going to have to replace it when he reaches his teens cuz he's so tall. Luckily it didn't cost too much.

That's about it. He loves it. He sometimes complains he wants a "softer" mattress, and if I ever find a twin memory foam topper for cheapies, I'll buy it to cush it up a bit.

We have one and LOVE it! Our kids are 4 and 2 and they use it as a bunk bed. I agree, it would be super annoying to change the sheets if a kid's puking up there, but we would just move the mattress to the floor (or to our room) if anyone was repeatedly puking (Ok, when someone is repeatedly puking. Of course it will happen eventually!). Anyway, this is probably the best thing I've ever purchased from IKEA. And we were lucky enough to get a floor model in the scratch n' dent spot for $150.

I've always wanted this for my kids but my DH always says it is too small for them. They are 8 and 5. But some of you say that 10 year olds and teens still sleep on it?? Now DH has no excuse LOL!

It takes a normal twin mattress (or a thin twin mattress on the top). Hubby has sleep in it a time or two on the bottom. :lol:

I've always wanted this for my kids but my DH always says it is too small for them. They are 8 and 5. But some of you say that 10 year olds and teens still sleep on it?? Now DH has no excuse LOL!

My dd is 13 & 97 lbs. I can sit up there and it's fine. ;) It fits a standard twin mattress. We have an old farmhouse, and this gives her some extra space. We would have purchased a larger bed (to fit a desk underneath etc), but we have corner eaves, so too for high the ceiling in her room. (Unless we wanted the bed in the middle of the room. ;))

Edited by LibraryLover

He doesn't seem to want to move out. It's we the parents who assume he will need a bigger bed. He's 5'10"

Laura