Menu

need ideas for high school French

I would really appreciate help sorting this all out. Sorry this is very long. I feel like I've failed my dd and I don't know what to do. I'm sure some of you have seen me post about this in the past. My dd is 17 and has had health issues for the past several years. She is finally doing well except for her insomnia but it has become more workable. She was homeschooled K-8 and our original plan was to send her to private school for high school. She went for 6 weeks and I had to bring her home due to medical reasons (a concussion, severe insomnia). That year was tough to get through and I really had to "hold her hand" since it was difficult for her retain information but she made it through. The following year we found out she needed to have very major leg surgery so we felt it would be best to keep her home another year, especially since she still had the insomnia.

Last school year she started doing better and we decided to send her to a private school. Due to the fact that freshman and sophomore year were pretty tough health wise we decided to enroll her as a sophomore year again and she also had a late start. She did well grade wise and letting her sleep until 9 and then go to class made a huge difference. The problem was that she was pretty miserable with school. I'm not sure what happened to this school since my oldest graduated from there and we really liked it. Now it seems like the teachers can't handle the students anymore. Most of the class was spent with the teacher trying to talk over the students. Things were very chaotic. In a few of her classes my dd basically taught herself. We were paying quite a bit for this school so we really didn't think it was worth the money when she wasn't getting a good education as well as the fact that the students were very immature. One of her teachers told me that it was the worst year that she has ever seen with the students. She said that my dd was so much more mature than the other students.

After a lot of thought we decided to have her dual enrolled at home and at a community college. We enrolled with Homelife Academy for record keeping. She really doesn't need that many more credits to graduate so if things work out she may be able to graduate next spring. The biggest problem was that she learned algebra in 8th grade and we did geometry her freshman year. She didn't do any math last year because algebra 2 only met first period, which would have been too early for her due to the insomnia. Unfortunately when she went to take the placement test at the community college she didn't do well in the math portion. Now she has to re-take algebra and possibly geometry. She is taking a computer based class at the school where the teacher can help with questions, etc. and it is possible that she can finish both algebra 1 and algebra 2 in a semester. So far she is doing fine but I still feel bad that she has to do this.

She also needs two credits in a foreign language. She did Rosetta Stone German freshman year but I don't really feel that she learned enough. Our plan was for her to take two semesters of French at the community college, which would equal two high school credits. She had her first French 1 class today and is completely overwhelmed. Everyone else in the class has already had Spanish and a lot had French in high school. She has always struggled learning a foreign language so I'm not really sure if she can handle this class. We have to decide by next week if she wants to drop it but then I don't know how to get her two credits.

I feel awful since I don't think there are any programs that she can do at home so that she can complete two years of a language in one year. This will mean that she won't graduate for two years even though most likely that will be the only credits that she needs. I already feel bad about the math and now this. I feel like I'm such a failure. I am not good at foreign language so I'm not sure I am capable of teaching her at home. I also have a lot of medical problems and struggle to just get through the day. One of my problems is fibromyalgia and I find that I have a lot of trouble being able to understand things and to focus so I don't think I can teach her. She is doing a few classes at home (mostly independently) but they are easier subjects for me (history, english and Government).

BTW, having her go to the public school is not an option. She would have to take finals for any class she wants to get credit for and I think at this point that would be way too hard.

I'm sorry to ramble on but I would really appreciate any suggestions.

well, probably not a huge help - but we bought Tell Me More french. my teen used only the beginner intro dvd, and then kinda stopped, but we'll try again. it has several levels on it and is cheaper than rosetta stone.

alternatively see if there area any homeschool coops offering french, or a retired french teacher willing ti teach a one-on-one class.

so . . what about just homeschooling her instead and then she doesnt need 2 years of language?

I feel awful since I don't think there are any programs that she can do at home so that she can complete two years of a language in one year.

Why not? If there are any programs that cover two years, it is simply a question of putting all the hours into one year instead of two.

The French class my DD is taking at the university as dual enrollment covers one year's worth of French in one semester - because the students have 8+ hours of homework in addition to four hours of class each week. So, they simply fit their 180+ hours into a 15 week semester instead of a 180 day school year.

So, if you have a program that would work, you simply need to spend double the time in order to cram two years into one. College courses do nothing else.

My DD has been using Espaces for French; the book comes with workbook, lab manual, audio CDs and a companion website.

Prior to that, we have used French in Action; the videos are available for free through annenberg online.

We have also used some cheap grammar workbooks (Practice makes perfect- Complete French Grammar and others form the same series.)

I have seen many people here recommend Breaking the Barrier; you may want to check this out, I have not used it.

Edited by regentrude

We are using Breaking the Barrier French. It is a very solid high school level course. What if she used it for French I, then took French 2 at the CC over the summer? She could also try to do it at double speed, but the vocabulary requirements are fast and furious. I think it would be a huge challenge, but if she is highly motivated it is possible.

Why not? If there are any programs that cover two years, it is simply a question of putting all the hours into one year instead of two.

The French class my DD is taking at the university as dual enrollment covers one year's worth of French in one semester - because the students have 8+ hours of homework in addition to four hours of class each week. So, they simply fit their 180+ hours into a 15 week semester instead of a 180 day school year.

So, if you have a program that would work, you simply need to spend double the time in order to cram two years into one. College courses do nothing else.

My DD has been using Espaces for French; the book comes with workbook, lab manual, audio CDs and a companion website.

Prior to that, we have used French in Action; the videos are available for free through annenberg online.

We have also used some cheap grammar workbooks (Practice makes perfect- Complete French Grammar and others form the same series.)

I have seen many people here recommend Breaking the Barrier; you may want to check this out, I have not used it.

:iagree:Another one to check out is Carnegie Mellon's Open Learning Initiative: http://oli.cmu.edu/learn-with-oli/see-our-free-open-courses/ .

These are online interactive courses and they have college-level French 1 and 2--each of which is designed for a semester. We've been using it as a supplement to Breaking the Barrier, but you could potentially use this as your primary program by spending a college-level amt of time on it. There's no accountability, but it's also free :001_smile:.

can u say more about why you switched from FIA to Espaces? i have another week to choose a curriculum, and think all three you mentioned look good.

tia,

ann

can u say more about why you switched from FIA to Espaces? i have another week to choose a curriculum, and think all three you mentioned look good.

We switched because, after 2.5 years of French at home, DD enrolled in a university course that used Espaces.

Btw, we had only used the videos of FIA. I understand there are printed materials as well.

Does your state require you to have two years of a foreign language to graduate?

I wonder what state you're in. My children have from time to time taken a foreign language online through iqadamey, which is only available in a handful of states. Their foreign language courses were excellent, and seemed to be at a good pace.

Maybe doing two credits of language in one year would be pushing it, but could you do one during the school year and then the second in summer school? Then if the summer school course is the only course she has left, she could really put time into it.

Can you hire a college student who is majoring in French to work with your daughter? When my daughter was learning French in high school, we bought used movie DVD's in French with English subtitles or in English with French subtitles, and she watched those all the time. Simple ones with plots that she already knew, like the Little Mermaid, etc.

We are very happy with DD's French tutor. Lessons are provided using Skype. Chantal is extremely prompt and professional.

http://www.learnfrenchwithchantal.com/

DD15 had her last year for French 1 using Breaking the Barrier and is continuing this year for French 2. DD12 is just starting French with her.

Each level of Breaking the Barrier is only 12 chapters, so if you push hard you might finish level 1 & 2 in one year, taking about 1.5 weeks for each chapter. But this might be stressful.

Hope this helps.

We are very happy with DD's French tutor. Lessons are provided using Skype. Chantal is extremely prompt and professional.

http://www.learnfrenchwithchantal.com/

DD15 had her last year for French 1 using Breaking the Barrier and is continuing this year for French 2. DD12 is just starting French with her.

Each level of Breaking the Barrier is only 12 chapters, so if you push hard you might finish level 1 & 2 in one year, taking about 1.5 weeks for each chapter. But this might be stressful.

Hope this helps.

how often do they have online class? i checked out her website, but couldn't find a skype class option, just individual options?

hopefully,

ann

how often do they have online class? i checked out her website, but couldn't find a skype class option, just individual options?

hopefully,

ann

Just send her an email. I scheduled a once per week session with her for the whole school year. But you can schedule a couple classes and see how you like it first. Or you can schedule classes on a need-only basis whenever your DC gets stuck and needs help.