Menu

MEP for kindergarten

mamamindy

I want to be informal for Kindergarten, but also want to have something available for DD2 to "do school" along with her big sis. So, I think MEP would be good for Math since it's free & it looks fun & perhaps it will help me to stay accountable doing something. I am wondering if we need to start with Reception? She turned 5 three wks ago. She's done a little saxon k, but very little. I am also looking at Miquon for DD1 (book orange on the way) w/ c-rods for some fun math and thought I'd let my k'er play too. Reception looks very simple. Do we need to start with it or year 1?

MEP Reception is only 60 lessons long so you could easily do that and then move into MEP 1. However you can also just start MEP 1 and see how it goes - I did this with my DD and she managed fine though we take it slowly as we are doing other Math curricula too.

Thank you. Is there much writing in MEP1? She isn't really ready to write her numbers yet.

I would do Reception as well. Some is simple but it really builds number sense. There is writing in MEP 1 but it builds slowly and gives practice at the numbers, plus you can do those parts orally. Dd did Reception in pre-k and is moving half speed through Y1.

There is writing and I have found with my child that many times I have had to write for her as the space to write in is too small for her age - she can write numbers but needs much bigger space to do it in. There is also a fair amount of colouring initially so it may be a good idea to print the Y1 worksheets bigger if you can. My DD is only 5 in September and is coping with the size now, but it did take some time for her to get used to it.

When we started, there was no MEP-Reception so I started with MEP Y1 very slowly for my first two children. It worked fine. They love math.

When I started with my little one she was 4ish and we did Reception. She loved it. It was so fun (with the exception of the working with 5s longer than I wanted to ... I was going to pull my hair out, but it was worth it). She now loves math.

Reception was a great quick intro before starting Y1 and built a good foundation. Many concepts in Reception are built in beautifully.

If writing is a concern I'd definitely do R, there's tracing and patterning (not with numbers) to help build those little writing muscles.