Menu

Hive Mechanics! Need car help!

Background:

I bought a 96 Taurus GL off craigslist for $400 about a week ago. I had someone come with me to look it over (since i know nothing about cars). The car checked out ok. Lots of newer parts and ran ok. The seller admitted to the jerk but thought it was motor mount. (she was an older lady if that makes any difference?). Did not mention any starting issues.

Took car home and had it looked over- needs exhaust pipe welded on (near some converter spot? its spring action?), needed a few light bulbs, a/c doesnt work (needs freon), had an oil leak from where there was a new water pump and they missed a gasket (fixed with putty and fixing gasket), motor mounts checked out ok.

--------------------------------------------

I go to start my car after the look over and it clicks/whirs. I get it jump started and its fine until today. I go to start the car today and needs jump started again. No lights were left on. The battery looks newer. It is fine once jumped. Could this be battery? Starter? alternator? Something else?

***battery is smoking from one of the two caps on the top on left cap. Smells like burning.

Energizer battery

part #: 58R-610e

SKU: 9151277

ETA: Lady who sold me the car just texted that this is " the battery that came with it ". Apparently shes lying or the guy who looked the car over with me is an idiot because he said it was newer.

----------------------

Second issue. The transmission. She thought it was the motor mounts causing the jerking, but i dont think so. The car does the typical jerk when you hit 10mph. Its fine otherwise. If i ease into 10mph+, it doesnt jerk. It has a slow pick up and go too. Not sure if they are related? Now, i did check the transmission fluid and its OVERfull. I am talking beyond the fill line and foaming. I am having it suctioned out Saturday. What is the likely hood that will fix the issue?

HELP Hive mechanics!!

Edited by Jpoy85

Was she the original owner? Did she drive it much?

The smoking at the battery is worrisome. I would not start the car until the battery is exchanged.

I know very very little about car mechanics. I freaked myself out this week because my "service engine soon" light came on and I thought that meant I couldn't drive it until it was fixed. Thank goodness for Google because I discovered that I probably just hadn't tightened the gas cap when I filled the car. What can I say, I had just pumped my own gas for the first time in years and didn't know how far to twist. :tongue_smilie: (in OR you cannot pump it yourself).

I think that year was part of the years when they had some electrical issues. How many miles on the car? I willing to bet that based on the years and if it has over 100,000 it is time for the trans to be rebuilt/replaced. I highly doubt that is the original battery. That would incredible for it to last that long.

:iagree:

Not to mention that the Taurus is famous for many mechanical issues.

no - she bought the car a year ago. Thats the battery that came with the car when she got it is what she meant. not the original battery from 96.

It has 211,000 miles on it.

I figured its a transmission issue, but im going to try the fluid since its overfilled and that can cause issues im experiencing.

as for the battery- I found a place that might have a refurbed battery but all news ones are $80+ and i just dont have that money + money for a transmission too. Especially since i just put out $400 last week to buy the car!

A) put water in the battery

b) clean all battery connectors (they get corroded and even with a new battery, you will have to clean them)

If you still have starting issues, look at the connections to the alternator (sometimes the alternator is fine, but the wired are in bad shape)

AS to any other issues: I must have missed something, I don't understand what "jerk" means.

If the tranny is shifting roughly, try tranny fluid first, before you jump to conclusions.

A) put water in the battery

b) clean all battery connectors (they get corroded and even with a new battery, you will have to clean them)

If you still have starting issues, look at the connections to the alternator (sometimes the alternator is fine, but the wired are in bad shape)

AS to any other issues: I must have missed something, I don't understand what "jerk" means.

If the tranny is shifting roughly, try tranny fluid first, before you jump to conclusions.

Jerk means shift/jump etc. I am trying the fluid- its overfilled.

Another thought:

you might consider getting the tranny "flushed" and a new tranny filter & fluid.

A flush is $80. Im going to get it drained first and see if they feel it needs flushed then ill do that and go from there.

update: My car is sitting til it can be junked or transmission can be fixed. So mine is sitting because we had to take MY battery and put it in DHs car for now. It wasnt a relay or even the starter or ignition switch like we were told- it was the battery. :glare: