Menu

Need encouragement for consistent homeschooling in a choppy life

sunnylady303

I was determined that this year was going to be consistent and disciplined. Self-discipline is seriously lacking in my character. ;) So we made it halfway through week three. And now DD6 is in the hospital. We came Wednesday and it looks like another day or two at least.

I love MP and it is working well for us. But then I am picking up in the middle of the week. Which is hard because each week is kind of its own unit - so what do I do with my portion of a week? And it feels weird to just start gung-ho with a recovering, convalescing child. It is just tough to do it. DD probably has major lung issues every 1-3 months. It just knocks my feet out from under me (not just with homeschooling although that is what I'm asking about now) and I need some encouragement and tips for staying as consistent as I can.

:grouphug:Just keep swimming. MP is sort of it's own weekly thing, but so what? Just spread it out over a couple of weeks. Take breaks when your little guy needs a break.

My motto for the past 3 years (we were burned out of our house, my Sister and Dad died, we lived in a hotel, rental, re-built (still re-building) our house,etc) is that "Little by little, one travels far." If I let what was in front of us determine what we/I did (insurance forms, inventorying, sorting smoke damaged goods, throwing away most of what we owned, re-buying living supplies, going to funerals) I would have crumped far more than I did anyway.

We made lists (still doing that) of projects, school, goals, took pictures, recorded the progress (that's why I'm so diligent about weekly reports so I can show myself, "SEE, YOU got stuff done!!") on blog posts about house re-build so that we can all go back and go "wow."

The only way you can not get it done is to quit working the plan-kwim?

All of that being said, my ds17 had asthma like issues till he was 15 mths. He was in and out of hospital, on nebulizers in the middle of the night and ICU a couple of times. I was exhuasted because the steroids kept him from sleeping and he would be awake crying and pitiful. I HAD to take naps. I had to rely on anyone who would help me. Be good to yourself and your little guy as he recovers!! :grouphug: Just do what you can, call it good and then do the next thing.

:grouphug:Just keep swimming. MP is sort of it's own weekly thing, but so what? Just spread it out over a couple of weeks. Take breaks when your little guy needs a break.

My motto for the past 3 years (we were burned out of our house, my Sister and Dad died, we lived in a hotel, rental, re-built (still re-building) our house,etc) is that "Little by little, one travels far." If I let what was in front of us determine what we/I did (insurance forms, inventorying, sorting smoke damaged goods, throwing away most of what we owned, re-buying living supplies, going to funerals) I would have crumped far more than I did anyway.

We made lists (still doing that) of projects, school, goals, took pictures, recorded the progress (that's why I'm so diligent about weekly reports so I can show myself, "SEE, YOU got stuff done!!") on blog posts about house re-build so that we can all go back and go "wow."

The only way you can not get it done is to quit working the plan-kwim?

All of that being said, my ds17 had asthma like issues till he was 15 mths. He was in and out of hospital, on nebulizers in the middle of the night and ICU a couple of times. I was exhuasted because the steroids kept him from sleeping and he would be awake crying and pitiful. I HAD to take naps. I had to rely on anyone who would help me. Be good to yourself and your little guy as he recovers!! :grouphug: Just do what you can, call it good and then do the next thing.

:iagree: with everything LL posted

I'm sorry. :grouphug: You just keep going, at your own pace. We went through a 2 year period where my boys were constantly in and out of the hospital due to their seizures. It was crazy and it seemed like we weren't really getting to school as often as I would have liked. We did the best we could. We had to focus on their health. That is ok. I pray it gets better for your family. I know all too well how rough it can be.

:grouphug:

I would agree with everything LL posted.

Little by little, one travels far.

My child had chronic health problems when he was younger and it was exhausting. Be sure to take care of yourself - eat as healthy as you can, get enough sleep, take walks to clear your head.

Two years ago, we had a devastating chain of events... I took a week off, then started right back in homeschooling. Everyone was shocked. But I felt like we needed our school routine to keep at least one thing in our lives on track. I also think our kids pick up on how we deal with adversity. I would rather DS see me struggle, but keep fighting, than to see me cave in. So - it sounds like a cliche - but I pulled myself up by the bootstraps and kept on going. Little by little... we got through.

As far as your schedule:

I used to write weekly lesson plans, but our weeks are never the same and things come up.

Last year, I started writing daily lesson plans. Day 1. Day 2. Every single day is separate from the rest. So if we school Monday and Tuesday, then can't school again until Friday, then week isn't lost. We just do the next day's lesson plans.

It sounds like a small thing --- but it was very freeing to me to not think of our school by weeks, but by days.

:grouphug: Blessings to you.

I can't even begin to express how freeing it was for me to give myself permission to have a week that did not start on Monday and end of Friday. We have all sorts of things that take a day here or there. Field trips, sickness, dh has lots of days of as a teacher. We just keep doing 5 days per week regardless of what day of the week we start with.