Menu

How much do braces really cost?

How much do braces really cost? Dh wants to know if it's normal for them to cost about $5,700 these days???

All 3 of our kids were recommended to have braces. We decided to skip it on the first 2 and do not regret it. However, #3 really does need them. He has a kind of underbite or I'm not sure what you call it, but his chin is very small & receding. Also his jaw locks on occasion.

But 5,700???!!! My, prices have gone up... We live in Minnesota, by the way.

Julie

How much do braces really cost? Dh wants to know if it's normal for them to cost about $5,700 these days???

All 3 of our kids were recommended to have braces. We decided to skip it on the first 2 and do not regret it. However, #3 really does need them. He has a kind of underbite, and his jaw locks on occasion.

But 5,700???!!! My, prices have gone up... We live in Minnesota, by the way.

Julie

They're just a bit more down here. Just over $6K for a full set.

Yep, sounds about right. I have one ds through with them. I currently have them on, as well as my dd. My second ds will be getting his on in October.

This is why, instead of driving a Mercedes or something, I am driving a minivan with no air and 160K miles. LOL.

Yep, that's about right. Our insurance covered some of the cost (not $3,000, though). Also, if you or your husband have a medical flex plan through work, braces are included in the allowable items (which means you can pay for the amount that insurance doesn't cover with pretax dollars).

Sandy

5 years ago our son's cost $4,000. I know quite a few people who paid more than that ever 5 years ago. I think that's at or a little below the going rate these days, sad to say!

Your ds may need some extra work done with a receding jaw. That would make it cost more as well. My ds's was pretty cut a dry---very needed because of how things were heading, but not too hard to fix at the time we did it. If we hadn't have done anything, he would've had to have more exTensive AND exPensive work done later!

Oh, our insurance does not cover orthodontic work of any kind---and we have two more that are coming up! :(

I believe we have dental insurance to thank for the high price of braces. If insurance wasn't available on them, and credit so easy to come by, they could only charge what most people could afford to pay, which is at most half of what it costs these days. $5400 has been our quote. Paying for dental insurance has never seemed like a good option, though. By the time you pay the premium, you're not really save much if any. Ugh.

My oldest dd had a 'receding jaw'--her chin was literally disappearing into her neck. The dentist recommended braces...

The orthodontist was honest with us. Braces would not and could not correct her jaw problem. In fact he would NOT put any braces on dd unless we agreed to let her have major jaw surgery. The braces 'tweaked' dd's bite and then the oral surgeon was able to align the jaws properly and extend the lower one.

About a year and a half ago dd had the surgery--and it made a HUGE difference in her sleeping--and her ability to chew her food! When the bottom jaw does not grow properly (not enough) the tongue often cuts off a MAJOR part of the airway when you lay down--dd's was cut of by 80%! Just to let you know they do NOT wire your jaw shut anymore and dd was eating 'normal' food within 3 days of her surgery--she did look like a 'monster' because of the swelling though...

The cost of the surgery varies--between $7,000 and $10,000 but it was worth it. TMJ and other problems with her jaw/bite were just starting and they would only get worse.

Before you plunk down any money for braces--make sure they will actually HELP his problem. DH had/has the same issue. His family decided against surgery and he only had braces. He wears a beard to hide his deformity--and YES it is a deformity. He has MAJOR sleep apnea issues too...

My son had to have them twice. The first set were put on while he still had a lot of baby teeth, but his jaw was in "cross bite". That set was over $2000. (they had to fix the cross bite or his jaw would have to be broken to fix it once his permanent teeth came in).

The second set were more involved and utilized some mild jaw widening (not a palate spreader, but some clever use of geometry). That set was about $4000.

I look at it this way: My mom spent $2000 in 1980 for my braces - that really isn't all that much inflation, all things considered.

asta

Thanks for the speedy replies! It doesn't look like there's a lot of hope to get anything cheaper. Ds said he'll call around for those $4,700 quotes, but it doesn't look too promising to me after reading all the experiences.

Unfortunately, we had to let dental insurance go a year ago. But at $100 a month, I'm not sure it would've saved us that much, since I think it only covered 50%.

The ortho did say the cost was the same no matter how much or little was done, but that was after examining ds, so don't know if there are actually other prices for other situations.

I guess we're going to have a friendly chat with our parents :o)

Julie

Consider looking into dental schools at nearby universities if you have them. Only my oldest needed braces so far, but back then they were still about $4000 and that was over ten years ago! We did not go the dental school route with her but a local orthodontist. Dental schools can be significantly cheaper from what I recall. It might be worth your while to investigate an option like this.

Anita

My son had to have them twice. The first set were put on while he still had a lot of baby teeth, but his jaw was in "cross bite". That set was over $2000. (they had to fix the cross bite or his jaw would have to be broken to fix it once his permanent teeth came in).

The second set were more involved and utilized some mild jaw widening (not a palate spreader, but some clever use of geometry). That set was about $4000.

I look at it this way: My mom spent $2000 in 1980 for my braces - that really isn't all that much inflation, all things considered.

asta

My ds14 had a palate thing and "stuff". I'm not sure what all they used, but it was because of a crossbite.

He's 14 but still hasn't lost all his baby teeth. Once that happens, he'll have braces to finish the job.

Our insurance claims that braces should only cost $1,500 and they will cover $750. HAHAHAHAHA! Braces here cost between $5 - 6 thousand, depending on the severity of the kid's misaligned teeth, etc. I remember when I was a teen, the ortho. reduced his price for subsequent kids in a family...now our ortho calls it a discount to not RAISE the price for subsequent kids. SIGH.

I paid about $2000 for both my sons in Michigan. We had no dental insurance. I don't know if they quoted us a different rate because of that.

If we are now stuck with $6000 rates, I'm just going to die.

Wow! I guess saving $4000 each for my other 2 wouldn't pay for us moving out there!:tongue_smilie:

they will cost about $4800 for my middle daughter with an overbite. She doesn't have a serious problem, but enough crooked teeth to merit the braces. Her older sister has them, too, and I think the price was similar. We get a family discount of 10% since we're "repeat" customers!

I asked our orthodontist if we could work it like a "punch card"--buy two, get one free! He just laughed! (We already know our youngest is going to need braces, too! Ouch!)

Sometimes, a place may seem cheaper, but will actually cost more in the long run. Allow me to explain.

At our orthodontist, people who need braces for "normal" reasons (crooked teeth, mild/moderate overbite) will pay @$5200. This fee is slightly more than the normal fees here, but includes EVERYTHING. Every appointment as often as needed for as long as you live (seriously, they offer periodic checkups every 3-5 years), every bag of rubber bands, every bracket that pops off accidentally, toothpaste, fluoride, floss, wax, special Xmas tree toothbrushes, both retainers (one fixed), and even up to two replacement retainers.

My dd has a friend who needed braces for these "normal" reasons, and ended up finding an ortho that charged them $3700. It has been 9 months, and they have already given him an extra $800 for various reasons, have to buy all the extra cleaning supplies and will have to pay for the retainers, as well.

Of course, dont forget that depending on what course of treatment your dc needs, it will be much more than the average. My dd's overall treatment was quite near $10,000 :ack2: and her only problem was missing adult teeth!:ack2::ack2:

We have two, of five, dc that will soon (September) be in braces. I was venting about the expense to my mother. Our charges are about the same as what you have been quoted.

My mother reminded me that when I had braces for almost four years around 1978, (Gah! Just typing that makes me feel old!), it cost $5000. That did include wearing two different headgears for an overbite, but not the cost of having wisdom teeth extracted by an oral surgeon.

I've been working on more ideas to save $$$ to be able to afford this expense.:001_huh:

My oldest dd had a 'receding jaw'--her chin was literally disappearing into her neck. The dentist recommended braces...

The orthodontist was honest with us. Braces would not and could not correct her jaw problem. In fact he would NOT put any braces on dd unless we agreed to let her have major jaw surgery. The braces 'tweaked' dd's bite and then the oral surgeon was able to align the jaws properly and extend the lower one.

About a year and a half ago dd had the surgery--and it made a HUGE difference in her sleeping--and her ability to chew her food! When the bottom jaw does not grow properly (not enough) the tongue often cuts off a MAJOR part of the airway when you lay down--dd's was cut of by 80%! Just to let you know they do NOT wire your jaw shut anymore and dd was eating 'normal' food within 3 days of her surgery--she did look like a 'monster' because of the swelling though...

The cost of the surgery varies--between $7,000 and $10,000 but it was worth it. TMJ and other problems with her jaw/bite were just starting and they would only get worse.

Before you plunk down any money for braces--make sure they will actually HELP his problem. DH had/has the same issue. His family decided against surgery and he only had braces. He wears a beard to hide his deformity--and YES it is a deformity. He has MAJOR sleep apnea issues too...

Thanks for the info. We've talked to the orthos but definitely more discussion is needed.

I'm going to see if I can put a photo of ds on here. Let me know if you consider this a "deformity" in your experience!

P.S. It was such a cute little chin when he was born :-)

post-59-13535082622539_thumb.jpg

post-59-13535082622539_thumb.jpg

He definitely has an underdeveloped jaw.

DD's made her look like she had an extreme overbite--but her top bite was just where it was supposed to be!

DD's was not that noticeable until she hit puberty and had a growth spurt. All of the Drs (and we saw many) told us that the 'deformity' would just get more and more pronounced.

I have a dear friend who had the jaw surgery as an adult (about 3 years ago). Her TMJ was horrible (days and days in bed--frequently!). She said she NEVER thought that she would one day be BEAUTIFUL... Her cosmetic improvement was drastic (VERY good). Her surgery was not for cosmetic reasons--neither was my dd's but cosmetic results are a benefit...and no-more jaw pain and better sleeping health--worth every penny.

I'd consider having an oral surgeon who specialized in jaw correction give you a recommendation of treatment--then you will be able to explore all options.

We live in a resort area, our ortho is on the island that is a pretty expensive area and the office is really nice. We're paying $4,680 total cost for braces, including retainers, records fees and the like. So, yes I think I'd get another quote if I were you, sounds overpriced.

BTW, our ins. only pays $1,500. Bummer. My dd just got her braces on last month.

I had the underdeveloped lower jaw and TMJ surgery the summer after 9th grade. It was rough and I looked rough for quite a number of weeks after. They were just experimenting with different ways of holding the jaw together and I was one of the earliest to not have my mouth wired shut. Tough and expensive as it was, it was one of the best things to have been done for me. Looks, eating, sleeping, headaches, etc; I would have had so many continued consequences if it had not been done. I would say my profile pictures looked much like that one you posted. I would highly recommend at least finding out more or at least ruling it out. My opinion, of course.

If I can be of assistance, let me know.

We live in a metro area with a very high cost of living, and I just assumed that we were on the "high" end of everything! However, our orthodontist charged $3900 for our son's braces (braces, rubber bands, checkups every 5-6 weeks, etc.). Who would have thought we were getting a real bargain? :001_huh:

If I can be of assistance, let me know.

Jessica, Thank you also for sharing your experiences.

I also benefited from the cost conversation, both in terms of compiling information as well as encouraging me that all of you have made it through this, and sometimes at a higher cost or with more children needing braces!

<breathe>