Menu

Why were so many innocent threads locked?

Maybe the Powers that Be sensed that the goofy threads might go the way of the Cupcake Thread and wanted to nip them in the bud before they took up too much bandwidth and crashed the forums. (There were a lot of them all at once, after all -- with no end in sight.)

Or maybe it's all part of some top secret Evil Master Plan. (Insert sinister BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA laugh here.)

Let's go with that one.

It's an Evil Master Plan.

Be afraid, people.

Be very afraid. :eek:

Edited by Catwoman

Maybe the Powers that Be sensed that the goofy threads might go the way of the Cupcake Thread and wanted to nip them in the bud before they took up too much bandwidth and crashed the forums. (There were a lot of them all at once, after all -- with no end in sight.)

Or maybe it's all part of some top secret Evil Master Plan. (Insert sinister BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA laugh here.)

Let's go with that one.

It's an Evil Master Plan.

Be afraid, people.

Be very afraid. :eek:

:lol: Perhaps it is a bandwidth concern.

They do have something in common. The locked threads, I mean. It isn't snark, or subject matter, or anything like that. It's not hard to figure out if you know how to use the tools of the site. Shall we count down this thread now, which will be locked in five, four, three, two......

They do have something in common. The locked threads, I mean. It isn't snark, or subject matter, or anything like that. It's not hard to figure out if you know how to use the tools of the site. Shall we count down this thread now, which will be locked in five, four, three, two......

Hmm, some of us have never figured out how to use the tools of the site. Or even what most of them are, lol. Can you give a hint? :tongue_smilie:

There is a new sticky about threads needing to relate to homeschooling. That may be why so many threads have been getting locked with no explanation of late.

But the sticky that I saw at the top of the General Board says this board is for use by parents who teach their children and is not meant for being mean to others. It doesn't specifically say to talk about only homeschooling. Otherwise there would be no need for this particular board at all. What to prepare for dinner isn't about homeschooling, IMHO.

There is a new sticky about threads needing to relate to homeschooling. That may be why so many threads have been getting locked with no explanation of late.

Oh, really? Off to go see.

Hmmm... I didn't see it. There is a reminder about being nice, but I didn't see the one about threads needing to relate to homeschooling. Can you link it? I'd hate to get in trouble (banned) for posting incorrectly.

Edited by Parrothead

But the sticky that I saw at the top of the General Board says this board is for use by parents who teach their children and is not meant for being mean to others. It doesn't specifically say to talk about only homeschooling. Otherwise there would be no need for this particular board at all. What to prepare for dinner isn't about homeschooling, IMHO.

I remember reading somewhere that there is a lot of leeway given for the General Board as far as topics relating to homeschooling, so family life topics are ok. I think the stream of shout out and rant threads were multiplying like rabbits and the mods decided to cut it off early before the board was completely covered with them.

With all due respect to the mods, the description beneath the "General Board" on the main forum page does refer to "just hanging out and chatting."

I am pretty comfortable with my hs style and curriculum choices, so I don't tend to post on other boards. The general board is....dare I confess...my social outlet. (Yeah, I know. Poor, unsocialized homeschooler, right?) Living where we live, I have very little contact with other like-minded adults, and I find it enjoyable to come here and talk about silly things, just for the fun of chatting.

Bandwidth concerns I understand. But I feel like the "thought police" are telling us to zip-a-lip and stop all this silliness of having light-hearted and goofy threads. And it makes me quite sad.

THERE ARE NO THOUGHT POLICE. Once again:

The "rant" and "shout out" threads produced a series of nasty behind-the-scenes PMs and messages, so it seemed best to shut them down.

Please note that the moderator sticky at the top of the board does NOT say that you can't chat and socialize. It says DON'T SNARK.

Closing this now, because the moderators have had a tough 24 hours and are done with the issue.