Menu

I need 3rd grade Adventure stories for boys

CatholicMom

I just came across a book on Sir Walter Raleigh. Not a classic, but definitely educational. And my son is asking to read it. It is on the Baldwin Project site for free, though print is also available.

No luck finding classics my son likes. I've had to settle for 39 clues, harry potter, jack stalwart. He also likes comedy so I just ordered how to eat fried worms. It's bad, but he's asking for wimpky kid, big nate, so at least these are a step in the right direction.

There's also treasure island, but that's still too hard for my 3rd grader who reads very well.

There's also a bunch of classic reading lists by grade level on this forum and on the web . There are a lot more adventures type stories like the the ones stated in the first reply, but even though they are adventures, my son finds them boring, I'm sure because of the settings.

Edited by cmac

Depends a bit on his reading level - or did you mean for reading aloud?

My Side of the Mountain

Island of the Blue Dolphins (yes, with a girl protagonist, but still)

The Indian in the Cupboard

Perloo the Bold

I could go on... more outdoor adventure, fantasy adventure, mystery adventure...?

Thanks for the cooper kids recommendation. Though it's modern, it looks promising.

Cooper Kid books by Frank Peretti were pretty big with my oldest at that age. So was Wally McDoogle books (not true adventure but laugh out loud hilarious).

If you can find them, Tom Swift books and Happy Hollisters are classic children adventure.

Depends a bit on his reading level - or did you mean for reading aloud?

My Side of the Mountain

Island of the Blue Dolphins (yes, with a girl protagonist, but still)

The Indian in the Cupboard

Perloo the Bold

I could go on... more outdoor adventure, fantasy adventure, mystery adventure...?

I was looking for some adventure stories a 3rd grader can read. My oldest just started 4th. I think he might be able to handle a barely-4th-grade level book but, for instance, I looked at Chronicles of Narnia and I know he would have a hard time with that. I'm hoping he will be there around the end of the year, but right now that is too much, so I said 3rd grade.:tongue_smilie:

Hm, I don't really know what kind of adventure. I just know he thought the Paintbrush Kid was boring and he did like The Viking Adventure. He loved The Apple and the Arrow (I read it aloud). I think he would like some more "action" and suspense. I don't know... boy stuff.:lol:

Funny, but still adventures--

Sid Fleischman's books! Favs here were By The Great Horn Spoon and Chancey and the Grand Rascal, and The Great Turkey Walk.

There's one about Lewis and Clark's dog that is good, but I can't remember the name.

Gone Away Lake starts as an adventure.

For a read aloud, Coot Club is very good, but it may be for olders. It's an English novel by the same guy as wrote Swallows and Amazons.

I was looking up Viking Adventure in amazon and some of their suggestions might work for you . How about The Sword in the Tree and The Making of a Knight? I just got Shakespeare Julius Caesar a graphic novel by Bowen at the library. I just skimmed it. A little gory, but he might like it. The Apple and Arrow looks really good for us.

Clyde Robert Bulla, the author of Viking Adventure, wrote several books that my son has loved reading as part of Sonlight's reading list. The Sword in the Tree, already recommended by a previous poster, was one of them. So are The Chalk Box Kid and The Paint Brush Kid. There's another one on Amazon called Ghost Town Treasure that looks perfect for an adventure-seeking kid, too.

Which reminds me, you can check out the Sonlight book list for "Grade 3 Readers"--the vast majority of them are adventurous and boy friendly. The exceptions would be most of the top two rows on the page I linked to, The House on Walenska Street, the two Long Way... books, the Third Grade Detective stories (which have their own appeal, but which may not interest your son) and The Last Little Cat.