Menu

Has anyone used Dynamic Literacy for vocabulary?

I used the Foundations level 1 last year.

At first I was very excited about the program. However, the program was awfully monotonous, and it took my 3rd grader a long time to complete some of the activities, particularly the ones where he had to write out original sentences.

I think learning the meanings of the affixes were helpful to my son. I had thought that it would be good for my kids to learn the Greek and Latin roots (as in the Elements books).

Then I read The Knowledge Deficit by E.D. Hirsch, and my outlook on teaching vocabulary changed quite a bit. I am no expert in educational philosophies and that kind of research, but it seems the data shows that vocabulary is best learned through things such as real life experiences where the child can understand the context and meaning of a new word, and through reading high level, good quality literature aloud to the kids, explaining meanings of new words and phrases as you go along.

Not sure if that is making sense, but I came to the conclusion that my kids may be learning more vocabulary by watching Word Girl on PBS than by doing vocabulary workbooks.

This year I decided against Dynamic Literacy and opted instead to try Vocabulary Workshop. I'm not saying that your shouldn't use the Dynamic Literacy materials, but I am no longer convinced that workbooks are the best way for teaching vocabulary. I still use vocabulary workbooks, but I don't invest a large amount of money in them or spend much time with them. These days I am much more aware of stopping during our read aloud time to explain new words or expressions which I think my kids may not understand.

We used it for about 4 months, hated it, even though at first I was excited about it. It is repetitive, monotonous, and down right deadly dull. Does it work? Probably... but if I hated teaching it I can't imagine how my kids hated learning with it.

Like the second poster, we too have found that learning vocabulary in context is far, far more effective and definitions are retained better. I will not longer use any vocab. source that is not "embedded" within the curriculum or reading.

Cindy

I am no expert in educational philosophies and that kind of research, but it seems the data shows that vocabulary is best learned through things such as real life experiences where the child can understand the context and meaning of a new word, and through reading high level, good quality literature aloud to the kids, explaining meanings of new words and phrases as you go along.

It sounded great, it looked great, but I could just never get going in it. It was not lighting a fire for either of us.

I've not read the research, but I know the above is true for me, personally, and that I didn't start doing vocab work until I was about 16 (and I did it on my own steam), and yet mine was always good. It was exposure.