Menu

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't picked history yet...

...and we start in less than 2 weeks. Oh my gosh, somebody shoot me or just tell me what to pick. My living room looks like a curriculum fair. I've got the following to pick from that I own, and I have experience with each of them except the last 2. For 8th and 9th graders.

1 TOG

2 WTM reading

3 Sonlight G

4 Konos HOW

5 History Revealed by Waring

6 Far Above Rubies (much more than history, really)

I am slowly going insane. :nopity:

...and we start in less than 2 weeks. Oh my gosh, somebody shoot me or just tell me what to pick. My living room looks like a curriculum fair. I've got the following to pick from that I own, and I have experience with each of them except the last 2. For 8th and 9th graders.

1 TOG

2 WTM reading

3 Sonlight G

4 Konos HOW

5 History Revealed by Waring

6 Far Above Rubies (much more than history, really)

I am slowly going insane. :nopity:

I'd cross off #5 unless you have even more time for planning, choosing/buying books, choosing from many assignments than you would have for TOG. I think History Revealed is a great *idea* just way too teacher intensive for me.

ETA: Of the ones you have used in the past, which is the best fit for both you (time, effort, teaching style) and your Dc?

Thank you all. Interesting insights! I guess I was all excited about a new, fresh 4 year history rotation :lol: so SL 100 would mess that up. I'm thinking about transcripts, too, so I need an orderly plan. I will ponder doing SL W and then 100. I'm combining the girls for history and science to keep what sanity I have left. But the problem is...my baby will be an 8th grader, and yet she still loves me to read aloud. I want that to continue as long as possible! I agree about the History Revealed program. I was in love with the concept. We will probably listen to the tapes along with our main program, just for fun. I loved the organization of TOG but found the discussions somewhat forced (my lacking, not the program). Konos was too random for me, even though my oldest dd enjoyed it. I appreciate any help you can give, because my poor Dh has watched me squirm for months and hasn't been able to help.

Thank you all. Interesting insights! I guess I was all excited about a new, fresh 4 year history rotation :lol: so SL 100 would mess that up. I'm thinking about transcripts, too, so I need an orderly plan. I will ponder doing SL W and then 100. I'm combining the girls for history and science to keep what sanity I have left. But the problem is...my baby will be an 8th grader, and yet she still loves me to read aloud. I want that to continue as long as possible! I agree about the History Revealed program. I was in love with the concept. We will probably listen to the tapes along with our main program, just for fun. I loved the organization of TOG but found the discussions somewhat forced (my lacking, not the program). Konos was too random for me, even though my oldest dd enjoyed it. I appreciate any help you can give, because my poor Dh has watched me squirm for months and hasn't been able to help.

Can you find a way to use the organization of TOG and substitute something else for discussions? I know there are some who have Dc write or complete a project of some kind instead.

Yep, it's almost 1:00 AM and I am still up...thanks for more good suggestions. We took a breather from history this past year doing SL Eastern Hemisphere. That's been the start of the aggravation...I have a 9th grader that could handle the SWB book but my 8th grader couldn't, and I really want them both on the same history page so to speak. I asked their input, and they really don't mind whether we do US or ancients, so it's up to me. :001_huh: I may try to beef up SL G or W for the 9th grader...or try TOG for them. Or not. Going to look at Biblioplan...

Edited by Blueridge

ETA: Crud, I read history as lit. Sorry. We've used Patterns of World History, Spielvogel, Dont Know Much About History, historical fiction, orginal documents, and the very controversial books by Howard Zinn. We've also used (even for older kids) SOTW (awesome bibliogrpahies). We all enjoy Kingfisher as well. Welistened to many lectures from TTC, and some were available through ILL. Kingfisher. We also tie in literature with history. YouTube has an amazing array of history lectures.

Perhaps not popular, but would a standard high school literature/history anthology text be possible? I have found some excellent lit in such textbooks. You can pick and choose what you wish.

Edited by LibraryLover

If you want to start your 4-year cycle perhaps a modified TOG would work. You could use the R level with your older and D with the younger. I'm thinking you might be able to use one resource for the history but mix up the lit between R and D choices (unless you've already covered all the books in the D lit). Some of the R lit is just too much; I don't think my ds got as much out of it as the TOG authors intended. We (in a co-op) also ended up dropping several lit selections and subbing in Ben Hur at the end to lighten things up a bit.

If your dc balk at discussions (mine did) you could just have them outline and write summaries. Maybe review the material with them and then have them answer a couple of the thinking questions--like a short essay quiz. Maybe a research paper each semester.

If you want to start your 4-year cycle perhaps a modified TOG would work. You could use the R level with your older and D with the younger. I'm thinking you might be able to use one resource for the history but mix up the lit between R and D choices (unless you've already covered all the books in the D lit). Some of the R lit is just too much; I don't think my ds got as much out of it as the TOG authors intended. We (in a co-op) also ended up dropping several lit selections and subbing in Ben Hur at the end to lighten things up a bit.

If your dc balk at discussions (mine did) you could just have them outline and write summaries.

This made me laugh b/c Ds loves discussions....I balk at them!

Maybe review the material with them and then have them answer a couple of the thinking questions--like a short essay quiz. Maybe a research paper each semester.

This is along the lines of the type of TOG year I was suggesting, plus OP mentioned one Dd still likes read a louds and TOG actually schedules many of them, though she could also substitute her own if the TOG assignments aren't Dd"s cuppa.

we're pretty excited that historyatourhouse is doing asian history for the first time this year! scott powell does an amazing job..... and i don't have to plan it. win-win!

(sorry for suggesting another option, but we love this one. its one of our homeschooling "top five finds" for sure :001_smile:).

hth,

ann

What do your girls want to do? What input can they offer? Can they agree on a few possibilities, or agree on a few to knock off of your list?

:001_smile:

I am also wondering about your Dd's inclination for history. Personally, I wanted to go the textbook route this year, or at least one source (like the Hakim books, for example). I set all the options before Ds (Dd is just going to do whatever I decide) BuT, Ds & Dd lobbied strongly for TOG. I caved.

Ladies, you've been a blessing to me! My list has changed quite a bit! Now it is:

1 TOG D and R levels with some SL read-alouds (as needed)

2 Biblioplan with some SL and Great Books added (if needed)

ETA...still dreamy over SL.

I already have TOG and all those level books from the last time we did ancients, so that's a good thing. The bad thing is that none of us particularly enjoyed that year. :tongue_smilie: I have downloaded the Biblioplan sample and plan to spend some quality time with it this afternoon! Suggestions and comments are still so appreciated!

Edited by Blueridge

I wanted to love it. But, it was so much I kinda drowned in it and never did a good job. Biblioplan seems to be the same idea, only more streamlined. We have only just started it, but I can hear the sighs of relief frOm both my son and myself! Really check it, especially if TOG made you rip your hair out!

My youngest is chuckling over his reading right now!

I had a similar pile last year, and I was overwhelmed with the choices. Because I couldn't decide, I tried to combine things. What I found was that as the year went on some of those things dropped to the side, and in the end we were left with Sonlight G. It was the one constant in the whole year, and the one that we actually finished. So my advice is to go with Core G. Just one note...my dd was in Grade 7.

Thanks. I thought I had made my list shorter...:001_unsure:...but I actually jumped awake at 4:45 this morning thinking about history! Yes, I was already thinking about combining several of the programs, and I know that would burn me out because I've done it before. Goodness. It's hard on several levels, first because I need a clear 4 year path for high school. What I choose this year influences what I can use the following year, etc. I want it challenging enough for my 9th grader, but still enjoyable for my 8th grader. And of course, I am feeling the end of the homeschooling road getting nearer, and I want these last few year to be joyous ones! I appreciate everyone here who has shared their opinions so graciously! I know I will make a decision just in time! :001_smile:

Edited by Blueridge

"...Be anxious for nothing..." I know this verse from Philippians but often forget it. Last night I was feeling so distraught over my inability to choose something. I've been doing this homeschool thing for a while! ;) There is the old saying that goes 'What the eye does not see, the heart will not long for.' and I've obviously seen way too much! So I called dd14 (almost 15 now) and apologized for acting so foolishly and not being able to map out her high school plan for history. She was so sweet, saying that every mom who cares must go through the same thing. :001_wub: She offered to help, while before she had said she really didn't care what we used. I told her there were various ways we could proceed, and then briefly explained the methods used by TOG, Konos, WTM or SL, and History Revealed. I did not mention each program by name, and tried not to interject any of my own opinion with my descriptions. She sat there thoughtfully listening, and then gave her opinion of each method and how it fit (or didn't fit) with her learning preferences. After sharing her thoughts, she got to the last method I had described and said, "Now which program was THAT?" I told her it was History Revealed. I opened the book up, she looked at the pages and said THAT was what she was wanting! "Look, Mom, this lesson even has political cartooning suggested in the activities?!" :001_huh: Well alrighty then, that was simple. Then she told me not to worry anymore. We're moving forward now, due to the transparent honesty of a child. Not so much a child anymore, though. :001_smile: I appreciate everyone here being so kind while I sorted out my thoughts. Here we go...for better or worse! I am believing it will all be for the better! I've got SL G and WTM books already on the shelves so we should have plenty of materials for read alouds and research. Oh, see, I can't help combining things. ;)

Edited by Blueridge

She sat there thoughtfully listening, and then gave her opinion of each method and how it fit (or didn't fit) with her learning preferences. After sharing her thoughts, she got to the last method I had described and said, "Now which program was THAT?" I told her it was History Revealed. I opened the book up, she looked at the pages and said THAT was what she was wanting! "Look, Mom, this lesson even has political cartooning suggested in the activities?!" :001_huh: Well alrighty then, that was simple.

What a blessing to have it work out this way.

You really have such wonderful girls, and the younger two have such beautiful and Godly role models in the older two. I believe with all my heart that you totally rock this homeschooling thing, that even if you did nothing for the next four years with history, that your younger two would still be better off than most just by following their interests and own little rabbit trails.

Okay, I'm gushing. :001_wub:

What a blessing to have it work out this way.

You really have such wonderful girls, and the younger two have such beautiful and Godly role models in the older two. I believe with all my heart that you totally rock this homeschooling thing, that even if you did nothing for the next four years with history, that your younger two would still be better off than most just by following their interests and own little rabbit trails.

Okay, I'm gushing. :001_wub:

You are a dear person! If the house down the street from you ever goes on the market, let me know, because I want to buy it and have you as a neighbor! :D Thanks for the encouragements today!