Menu

How many pairs of jeans for 12 year old?

I know, weird question.

I have an OCD thing about clothing for the kids. I grew up with 1 pair of jeans, and 4 tops.

Now that I have kids, I admit, they have always had more than that. I always buy at garage sales, resale shops, or hand-me downs from friends, but they're nice, clean and they have a variety.

I don't go crazy-excessive, usually just 5-7 pairs of winter jeans for each of my boys. Mainly because I don't do laundry every day, and they get stains on everything. I only buy jeans for winter, because we're in Texas and most of the year, they live in shorts and flip flops.

Right now, oldest son --12-- has one pair of jeans that fit. I'm literally crawling out of my skin over it. I know, I'm weird!

He is wearing a mens 28, 30 pants. I think he's still growing. I'm trying to wait. But fall is coming up, and I want to take advantage of the sales going on. (now that he's in adult sizes, I don't find them used as easily, so guessing I'll be buying new....)

Son thinks one pair ofjeans is fine-- he hates shopping. Hubby says one pair ofjeans is fine.

So, how many pairs of jeans do you get for your 12 year olds?

(I need to mention that he's heavily into boy scouts and wears jeans once a month on campouts in the fall/winter)

Edited by joyfulheart

What's he wearing the rest of the time?

DD11 needs only one pair of jeans because most of the time she is wearing skirts, yoga pants or leggings. Her choice. Her older sister never wore anything EXCEPT jeans, so she had more pairs.

If your son has clean clothes to wear the rest of the time, one pair of jeans is just fine.

I like my boys to have 5-6 pairs of jeans at a time in the winter so I don't have to do laundry so much. Sometimes if they are just at home all day and their clothes don't appear visibly dirty, they will wear them a second day. I usually have to re-stock mid-winter so they have jeans without holes.

Joy

My boys are 11 and we live in FL. My husband insists on minimal clothing, it dries me nuts. To him, everything is clutter, LOL. I do laundry 1x a week and I usually try to have enough for one week. In their case, they love sweats and windbreaker pants, so I aim for 3-4 pairs of jeans. A lot of times, I have them re-wear a pair if they really didn't leave the house.

My son turned 13 in May and we've always had 4 pair of jeans for him. We wear jeans 2-3 days in a row before tossing them in the laundry unless we spill something on them, or get really dirty or sweaty. I usually do laundry once a week per person (yes I'm really weird and I don't mix individuals clothes together expect for dh and I, so I wash oldest son's stuff mon, dd's stuff tues, youngest son's stuff wed, mine and dh's stuff thurs, friday is towels and sat is sheets)

we always buy two new pairs of good jeans in the fall. They aren't normal every day wear.. and typically the jeans that were worn out during the summer or spring are what they wear around the house, day to day... So four pair max.. but only two "new" good pair in our collection.

We wear shorts in the house all year long but we are in GA and the cold days aren't ever SUPER cold... I would make them put good clothes on to leave the house, but thats it. lol

DS starts fall with 12-15 pairs as that mainly what he wears. I put 8 pairs in the drawer. The rest go in the closet. By the end of spring I am lucky if 5 pairs have survived without holes.

Oh, don't get me started on the holes! I'm usually pulling my hair out and screaming randomly about holes come mid-winter. LOL

I don't want to hear this! I thought holes were going to stop sometime soon. He will magically start taking care of his clothes soon, right? right?

My guy is only six, but he mostly wears jeans. I think I bought five pairs last year, plus he could still squeeze into the previous year's pairs for a while. None of them survived without holes. :glare:

Ds has no jeans right now. My ds has one pair of athletic type pants and 3 pairs of shorts. We plan to buy a pair of jeans once we can find a good sale (hopefully this weekend). He actually had to wear a pair of shorts to a dinner party this week which was really embarrassing, but we didn't realize that he had nothing that fit until it was too late. Homeschooling just makes clothing so much less of a priority and I often go for a really long time without shopping for ds. But to answer your question I think that 1 pair of jeans is fine. I am trying to live as minimalist as possible these days though.

eta: ds is 12 yrs old.

Edited by oldskool
adding info.

My son usually had four or five pairs at one time at that age. However, at any one moment, only two might be considered decent for going anywhere. The others would have holes in them or be a little too short or whatever left them perfectly wearable for around the house, but not nice enough for out in the world.

My daughter didn't really like wearing jeans when she was 12. So, she usually had just a couple of pairs at a time and then other pants and skirts to fill out her wardrobe.

I love summer. It's the sigh of relief after jeans with holes in the knees.

:iagree: And where we live, in Texas, I breathe that sigh every April and then have to suck it back in when October arrives. My problem is that my boys are skinny and TALL, so it is difficult to find jeans that fit well on their bodies. I attempt to have at least seven pairs of jeans for each of them each winter, hoping that at least a couple will survive from the older to the younger. My girls only needed a couple pairs since they had other options, but there just aren't as many for boys.

Son thinks one pair ofjeans is fine-- he hates shopping. Hubby says one pair ofjeans is fine.

If he's going to be wearing jeans almost of the time through the winter, I don't think one pair is fine! Ask him if he's planning to run around in his undies on laundry days. ;)

Seriously, I'd say at least four pairs if that's what he usually wears day-to-day. Since it sounds like you're going to have to buy new anyway, find a style/brand that fits and that he's okay with and buy several in his size--however many you decide he needs. You can get different colors if you want, but it sounds like he doesn't care, so I would make it as easy as possible. One trip, just a couple of pairs to try on = as painless a shopping experienceas possible for ds.

My 12 year old has 2 pairs of jeans and 3 pairs of shorts for the year. Plus one dress pair of trousers. I wash most days, so just keep them clean. He only has 2 drawers in the dresser for all of his clothing and no closet, so I don't know where he would put them if he got more!! If he outgrows something or it gets badly torn/holey then I just buy him a new pair.

Ruth in NZ

If anyone knows how I can get my DD to wear jeans, I'd like to know.

But back on topic. I try to keep 5-7 bottoms (combination of jeans/sweats for DS) for my kids, and 10-15 shirts. (combination of t-shirts, long sleeve shirts, and a couple sweatshirts)

I have that many because mine are both bad about staining, etc. so usually 2-4 items of their clothing can be out of commission at any given time while I am soaking and trying to get stains out, etc.

My ds12 is wearing the same size. We have done really well buying 28 and 30 waists at stores like Gap. Super discounted clearance items. Both in the US and UK. He has a really nice clothing selction right now that we have paid very little for. Most trousers were under $10. That size does not appear to be very popular so good selection on discounted items.

We try to have at least 3 of everything for each child. Trousers, sweats, shorts, long and short sleeve shirts. They have more in some cases but my washing machine is small so I normally stay on top of laundry. Not much storage space either.

At the moment my 13-yo has no jeans he can wear. In the next month or so I'll drag him out to buy some, but no more than two pairs. Even though it does get quite cold here at times, he's the kind of kid who prefers to live in shorts if at all possible. And he doesn't do a lot of extra-curriculars during the winter, so doesn't go out a ton. At home it's shorts all the time.

Oldest DS (16 in public high school) -- I'll probably get him three pairs. That's usually more than enough given how often I do laundry, and how few jeans it takes to make a full load.

Kind of OT, but as I was helping my daughter pack for college yesterday, I was folding her clothes. I was astounded to realize that she has at least fifteen pairs of jeans, 6-7 pairs of denim capris and 3-4 pairs of denim shorts. No wonder she only does her laundry once a month!! :D I was also regretting the two pairs of jeans I bought her a few days ago, thinking she needed more to pack for college! :lol:

I think my son always had about four or five. Even my girls usually had three, though they tended to wear other things too. I think my oldest, now 19, wears jeans the minute temperatures hit 70 or less (she is always cold) and she probably has five or six. (Since she wears tiny sizes, she finds them in thrift stores easily).

DS starts fall with 12-15 pairs as that mainly what he wears. I put 8 pairs in the drawer. The rest go in the closet. By the end of spring I am lucky if 5 pairs have survived without holes.

Wow! My son wants to know if you are a millionaire. :lol:

I usually buy 2 pairs for my son in the fall and by January he has either outgrown them or they have holes in the knees, so we buy 2 more pairs. Once he has stopped growing, I will probably buy him 4 pairs in the fall.

I go for more variety with his shirts.

Lisa