Menu

Asthma and Flumist? Is it okay if my 3 y/o son got

Flumist today - and has asthma? I don't know why this wasn't mentioned to me, but afterwards someone said something to me about this, and I was like - "ugh". Any advice? By the way, the reason I ask, he went down for a nap fine, woke up with cold like sx already.

Thanks.

My understanding is that it is contraindicated for asthmatics. My ped will not give it to my kids b/c I have asthma. I am not sure what risks are involved. Maybe they are just overly cautious.

Did he get the shot at the doctor's office? Did the person administering the vaccine check his medical record first? I would call and let them know the situation and ask what symptoms would warrant a further call and/or medical attention. :grouphug: Hopefully he will be fine, but it might be comforting to get some reassurance from your doctor.

Well, it's a live virus so someone with a weakened immune system could catch the flu from it (that's why we can't do it here) but my understanding of the asthma precaution is that the nasal drainage and cold symptoms that may occur with that vaccine can trigger/has triggered asthma. I don't think it's that asthmatics are more likely to get the flu with the mist like an immune compromised person might be.

edited to add: I just remembered steroids suppress the immune system. If an asthmatic is on steroids maybe that would be part of the contraindication.

Edited by sbgrace

Can you call his allergist or pulmonologist? Or whichever doc is handling his asthma?

I know our allergist stresses, "No Flumist," for asthmatics.

If he's showing symptoms, maybe there is something they can do to alleviate it early?

I hope he feels better. :grouphug:

This is really interesting to me because we were told our asthmatic should not have flumist, but the doc gives it to the other kids during the same appt in which the asthmatic has the injection. We were never told that other family members should avoid flumist.

In the future, though, I think they will all ask for the injection because "the nose thing is gross."

This is really interesting to me because we were told our asthmatic should not have flumist, but the doc gives it to the other kids during the same appt in which the asthmatic has the injection. We were never told that other family members should avoid flumist.

In the future, though, I think they will all ask for the injection because "the nose thing is gross."

This is how it has worked for us, but asthma isn't the issue here (migraines and the meds have aspirin). The other dc and I have the choice. My littlest went with the shot last year because the mist grossed her out so much the year before. My oldest can't seem to do the mist without blowing it all over the person giving it, so it's injection for him, too. I guess it really depends on just how severe the asthma is.

My son has COPD, not asthma, so it may be different for family members, depending on a child's specific issues.

Because youngest ds has severe and persistent asthma we were told not to allow any family member to have the flumist. Even before we got to the point of s/p asthma we were told youngest could not have flumist due to asthma. I would call the allergist or pulmonary doc to follow up.