Menu

So, is it possible to be allergic to one kind of apple but not another

It's possible. Have you had a reaction to any other foods? I have Oral Allergy Syndrome, and eating raw apples (and peaches, and celery, and so on) makes my mouth and throat itch, swell, go numb, and makes my ear canals itch like crazy. You might have had a very mild reaction, or it could have been nothing.

I agree on the oral allergy syndrome- my DD has it and she can eat raw apples but not the peel. She has to have her carrots steamed, and cherries must be canned, etc. Sometimes she can eat certain things and other times she can't, but it all seems to center around raw fruit and vegetables. Oral allergy syndrome is kind of a wild card- it seems different with everyone. My neice has it and can eat peaches at certain times of year but not others. I can totally see different types of apple, or even apples from different places, causing different types of reactions.

My husband has this type of allergy as well. He can't eat any apples without his mouth feeling itchy, but we can't even have Pink Lady apples in the house or he has a full blown allergic reaction with sneezing, watery eyes, the whole nine yards. He can eat cooked apple products. It's about the pollen, I believe.

I don't have oral allergy syndrome but I have a strong distate for red delicious apples that I don't have for any other kind--and it's not the taste, exactly, but a kind of metallic feeling I get from the peel. Like aluminum. So maybe the apples or peels are different enough to provoke allergies differently, too.