Menu

OPGTTR suggestion for my reading 6yo

mamamindy

We got to lesson 108 with my 6yo before stopping for summer break sometime in June. She LOVES to read & if given the choice of activity, it is what she chooses. :) That is to say, she's reading well. How important is it that we finish the OPG? I was going to just try to finish it up with her when we start back up (on Monday, hopefully!) but I fear it may be too easy for her.

I'm not an expert, but I'm using OPGTR for the second time right now, so I have some experience.

Dd-now-9 is a natural reader. She flew through OPG very quickly pretty young. I went ahead and put her through the whole thing just to reassure myself that she had a solid foundation in phonics. She read so fast that the lessons were never long or too boring - after the bit of explanation from me (as scripted) she would just run through the words, read the sentences, and be done.

Dd5 is not the same story. We've now been working with OPG for almost 2 years. She needs the systematic approach more than Dd9 did, and even though she's lately picked up her reading pace and is doing lots better than 6 months ago, I still find a lot of value in OPG for her.

Lesson 108 is before multi-syllable words are introduced. Does your dd work well with them? I really like the way OPG deals with them.

I guess I would suggest just running through the lessons for the sake of making sure any possible gaps are covered. But YMMV!

Hope that Helps!

Mama Anna

I've rarely done more than one lesson per day. With my second dd, we would stretch the lessons out over two or sometimes three days - but she was younger than six.

In the back of the book ("Questions and Answers for the Ordinary Parent") Wise suggests that a young child start with 10 minute lessons and work up to about 30 minutes. If your child can do more than one lesson in 30 minutes and doesn't seem to be rushed, why not?

(Please see disclaimer in my earlier post . . . :))

Mama Anna

Do most of you do one OPG lesson per day or what is the recommended schedule? I am using it with a 6 year old.

I spend 15 minutes per day on OPGTR with my five year old. Sometimes that's one lesson and sometimes it's a few. It depends on how quickly he catches on.

We spent about 5 minutes a day reviewing two lessons and doing one new one. The reviewed lessons to see if she could comfortably read the words. If not, we might just stick to the review that day and not do a new one. But for the most part it was 2 review and one new for about 5 minutes a day- and we would do it 5 times a week.

We got to lesson 108 with my 6yo before stopping for summer break sometime in June. She LOVES to read & if given the choice of activity, it is what she chooses. :) That is to say, she's reading well. How important is it that we finish the OPG? I was going to just try to finish it up with her when we start back up (on Monday, hopefully!) but I fear it may be too easy for her.

I recently listened to a lecture by SWB and she highly recommended finishing whatever phonics program you use even if your kid is reading. She says that kids often hit a slump in reading around 4th or 5th grade. It's often due to not finishing a phonics program thus having problems sounding out more and more difficult words. I'm starting to have that problem with my fourth grader (yes, I need to update my siggy LOL). I'm having to go back and explain things for her. Anyways, my six year old and I are plugging away with OPG in spite of how well she is reading now. She's not crazy about it and I often skip some parts as long as I know she understands the lesson.

Lesson 108 is before multi-syllable words are introduced. Does your dd work well with them? I really like the way OPG deals with them.

I guess I would suggest just running through the lessons for the sake of making sure any possible gaps are covered. But YMMV!

Hope that Helps!

Mama Anna

She does well with multi-syllable words. I think we'll just continue and go quicker if that's the pace she sets. Thank you.

What does YMMV mean?

Do most of you do one OPG lesson per day or what is the recommended schedule? I am using it with a 6 year old.

I was just doing one lesson/day with my girls, but I think we'll set a timer this year and just see what we get done in x amount of time. I think that's what I should of done with my (then) 4yo since she would run out of steam, rather than plow ahead.

Thank you for the suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped OPGTTR just beyond where you have got to now - I have found it ok to stop it because I read through the sections that were left and then let her read aloud books to me that contained words with these phonics rules. If she read the words fine then I just left her, if she got stuck then I explained the phonics and gave her examples of more words with that rule. If she stuck on a similar type of word a few times I concentrated on that rule for a bit. We also managed to cover multisyllable words very easily this way as well as -tion and -sion and so on.

I started doing OPGTR with DS5 this time last year. By Christmas he just wanted to read his early readers (Oxford Reading Tree), and has made excellent progress ever since. I don't think we got past lesson 40. I have no idea what the virtues are of continuing with OPGTR, but DS5 certainly doesn't seem to have suffered from not doing so. He even helps DS8 with his spelling :tongue_smilie:.