Menu

Homeschooling in Iowa using the classical education model- looking for advice

Guest DChannell

Guest DChannell

My family just moved to Iowa in April of this year. I am homeschooling my oldest son, 1st grade, using the Well Trained Mind as my guide. I do not have to report to the state this year, because he is still under the mandatory age. I am looking for advice on which option to choose for reporting- supervising teacher, standardized tests, or portfolio.

I am wondering if there is anyone who homeschooling using the classical education model in Iowa who could give me some counsel.

Not from Iowa, but I'll give you a bump. :) You might like to contact HSLDA or your state's homeschooling association. You need to get hooked up with people locally and make contacts. We have requirements like that in Ohio too, so when you get connected you find how people tend to do their testing, who they like to use to do the portfolio reviews, etc.

For testing, at least here it's any of the major standardized tests that issue a composite number. I've used the CAT from Seton and CLP. I've done Woodcock-Johnson, which is done one on one with a tester. You can get the Iowa or Stanford from the BJU Testing Service. Personally, I think it's good to do a mixture. Go ahead and test, but also do a portfolio review. I did BOTH, and it was really good for me as a new homeschooler to get that feedback from someone. They saw holes I wasn't seeing and could point things out to me, help me think through my plans for the next year, talk about things that don't show on a standardized test (like how you organize your day, etc.). It was a good process.

Enjoy your year! :)

My family just moved to Iowa in April of this year. I am homeschooling my oldest son, 1st grade, using the Well Trained Mind as my guide. I do not have to report to the state this year, because he is still under the mandatory age. I am looking for advice on which option to choose for reporting- supervising teacher, standardized tests, or portfolio.

I am wondering if there is anyone who homeschooling using the classical education model in Iowa who could give me some counsel.

We just moved to Iowa in January. I came from a non-reporting state and was a bit overwhelmed by idea of reporting. I have chosen to standardized test. Here's why: 1) When I called the school district to ask about how to go about getting a supervising teacher, they told me the didn't know how to go about doing that. They had no recommendations of teachers that even did it. I was on my own for finding one. Well, I'm new here. I don't know a lot of people, so for me to track down someone to be my supervising teacher was just more than I had time to do. Plus, I would have to pay him/her. I don't want to fork out more money for something. 2) Portfolios overwhelmed me. 3) The Christian School here takes on homeschoolers and allows them to test with their kids. I just take my kids, pay for the test (which is $30/child), and then turn in their scores. I've already contacted the school to let them know I want them to test there. It sounds like the simplest of the three to me.

Feel free to PM me if you want. I know it's tough moving to a new place.

Welcome to Iowa!

Moved to Iowa Last year from Louisiana, which is a non reporting state. We tried the supervising teacher but it was a disaster. We tried the Homeschool Assist program with caution since it is associated with the public school sysytem (in Louisiana you avoid anything to do with the public schools if you homeschool) It was wonderful and easy. We met so many families, did tons of activities (non school related) and met the criteria with ease. All I needed to do was fill out a form and give info on what we are using, then have 16 contacts through the year. The contacts were easy to do...email, phone call, or be at an activity (and they make sure to schedule lots of activites each month, usually 2 a week). I was worried about my schedule/ curriculum because dd is all over the grade spectrum but they did not care. As long as she was doing math and reading with some writing they were happy and it did not have to be a purchased curriculum. Other benefits of the HSAP are they have resources you can borrow..from curriculum to math manipulatives. They help you solve problems and go out of the way for the children.

Each month

they have a tea time with a guest speaker

Nature Hikes

Science Discovery Day

Chess

Visiting places (apple orchard, a cutting garden, farm)

teen activities (bowling, visiting labs, archery)

Usually one activity a month might cost a few dollars(the most I spent last year was $10 for the family)

If you are interested in doing HSAP I can ask for the number to the HSAP for the area you are in. Pm me.

Welcome to Iowa!

Moved to Iowa Last year from Louisiana, which is a non reporting state. We tried the supervising teacher but it was a disaster. We tried the Homeschool Assist program with caution since it is associated with the public school sysytem (in Louisiana you avoid anything to do with the public schools if you homeschool) It was wonderful and easy. We met so many families, did tons of activities (non school related) and met the criteria with ease. All I needed to do was fill out a form and give info on what we are using, then have 16 contacts through the year. The contacts were easy to do...email, phone call, or be at an activity (and they make sure to schedule lots of activites each month, usually 2 a week). I was worried about my schedule/ curriculum because dd is all over the grade spectrum but they did not care. As long as she was doing math and reading with some writing they were happy and it did not have to be a purchased curriculum. Other benefits of the HSAP are they have resources you can borrow..from curriculum to math manipulatives. They help you solve problems and go out of the way for the children.

Each month

they have a tea time with a guest speaker

Nature Hikes

Science Discovery Day

Chess

Visiting places (apple orchard, a cutting garden, farm)

teen activities (bowling, visiting labs, archery)

Usually one activity a month might cost a few dollars(the most I spent last year was $10 for the family)

If you are interested in doing HSAP I can ask for the number to the HSAP for the area you are in. Pm me.

This sounds wonderful. HSAP is not available in our area. Wish it was!

We aren't strictly classical home schoolers but do follow some of the WTM. We go through the school and they provide us with a teacher. Our teacher is very laid back and I like him a lot. Not all teachers will be that way.

If you go to the NICHE website you can find supervising teachers in your area. It is a Christian organization but I don't think you have to join to be directed to a teacher.

K

Guest DChannell

Thanks for the replies.

I am leaning away from the supervising teacher option. I agree the testing seems to be the simplest answer and was not aware of the possibility that our kids could test at a Christian school. I will have to look into that.

I have also considered the portfolio option. I think that we could turn in the "notebooks" on each subject that we create as we go to qualify as a portfolio.

To those of you in Iowa, what area are you in? We are in Ankeny.

Another Iowan here, and we also do standardized testing. We were able to order materials from Bob Jones Press. If you have a college degree, you can apply to become a test administrator and even administer the test yourself. Otherwise, there are the options to be tested either at the public school through dual enrollment, or a nearby private school.

Here's the BJU Press Link: http://www.bjupress.com/testing/ The ITBS they offer are approved in Iowa.

Local Des Moinesian? Here. If you were interested in the HSAP, you can fill out open enrollment paperwork to take part, and you do have to use their supervising teacher. Portfolio is easy as you can just submit portions of work from throughout the year to show progress. You will still need someone with the qualifications to do the supervising teacher option as they have to look and sign off onyour portfolio. The cost is usually cheaper also to use the Portfolio option. I would also suggest getting involved in a local group-possibly HUGS or HEED...it's definitely helpful to get to know locals to bounce questions off of!