Menu

How old are you K and 1st graders?

NicAnn

Both of my children are ahead. It is easier to say the are in their age mates grades. Quince is 6, and Emma is 4. They are officially 1st and Pre K.

That is so much easier than to say that they are doing K, 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th grade stuff in various subjects. LOL

Yeah mine don't fit into a box, they just soar and lag at their own level. :lol:

My 1st grader is 6, will be 7 in February. My K is 4, will be 5 in January. Both are easily doing work at least a grade level ahead, but I want to call them what they are based on age and not worry about them graduating early (at least not yet!).

My first grader will be 6 before the year's end. His father and I also have late in the year birthdays, which helped in our decision. In NJ the cut off is now Sept., but we received a lot of unsolicited advice, too, from teachers in our community to start him early in our homeschool. He is just ready, so he's in.

:)

We are calling kids by their age-based grades. My 6yo is a 1st grader. My 5yo is a kindergartener.

I learned my lesson about altering grade levels with the first two kids (now 19 and 17).

There are 7yr olds who don't yet know all their letters/sounds and 7yr olds doing Algebra. Both are entering 2nd grade this time of year.

Edited by 2J5M9K

In Michigan, the cut-off for school is currently 12/1, but it is being moved up by 1 month per year, beginning next year so that eventually the public schools will have a 9/1 cut-off.

That means my older girls, who both turned 5 in July began kindergarten as new 5 year-olds. DD3, who has an October 25th birthday, is an older 2nd grader because she attended a private Montessori preschool/Kindergarten (which has a 9/1 cut-off). DD4, with a May birthday, will begin at the same Montessori this fall as a 3 year old, so will be 5 starting Kindergarten.

The only 'troublesome' aspect of this is DD3 with an October birthday. She is either an older 2nd grader, or a young 3rd grader depending on your perspective. SHE doesn't even know what grade to say when people ask. She is accelerated in most subjects, but I'm not sure I want to send her off to college being the youngest in her class and not yet 18.

If the others follow in DD1's footsteps, they'll enter PS in 9th grade, so I won't have to decide until we reach high school. At this point, I'm leaning toward giving her the extra time and beginning high school the year she is 14, turning 15 in October.

DS (now 9/4th grade) started K at 5. With a June birthday and a December cutoff, he was well within the proper age for his grade. In retrospect, I think waiting an extra year might not have been a bad idea for him - he was a late reader, and we're doing a lot of catch-up this year.

DD1's birthday was 2 days before the K cutoff - she technically started K as a 4 year old (and 5/1st now), and turned 5 a month into it (we moved to a state with a different cutoff), and a lot of kids with her birthday would be redshirted. At this point, I have no regrets about starting her when we did - she's on track academically and racing through 1st grade work.

DD2's birthday is about a month after the cutoff. I was a little worried about what we'd do if she was eager to start like DD1 was, but she's a late talker like DS was, and I'm beginning to suspect the extra time will be a blessing. If we start K according to the local cutoff dates, she'll be 5 years 10 months when she starts.

My son has an August birthday and just turned 5. I'm calling this year another year of preschool even though I'm doing K work with him and he's reading above a first grade level. In our school district the cutoff is July 31st but you can petition and enroll a child with an August birthday fairly easily. We just have full-day kindergarten here and I didn't feel my son was socially ready. I'm on the fence if we're homeschooling next year or putting my son in school, mainly because my husband may need my help with his business, and so if we put him in public school next year will be his kindergarten year.

I don't even know anymore. My brain is so confused. DD will be 5 years, 4 months in a couple of weeks. She will complete the curriculum in my siggy by the end of the school year (May 2013 or so). Some things, she'll finish by the end of 2012. We live in a non-report state. When people ask, I just say she would be in kindergarten, if she were in public school. My brain does not think this, though. That ship sailed long ago. Sometimes, my brain gets really confused. We had to go on hiatus from school for about a month this summer to care for my mom at her house. Several times, I had mini freak outs in my head because I felt like she was going to get behind. How's that for ridiculous?

First grader, 7 in November.

Last year I started out considering him 1st grade, but changed my mind because he was the age for K in our state. I figured I would rather build in time for him - if he ended up having challenging stuff that he wasn't ready for, I didn't want him to end up behind. I'm glad I changed it, as now he does mostly 1st grade stuff (math - Saxon was awful and he didn't retain a bit of it! and spelling and OPG) and some 2nd grade (grammar, penmanship, science, history).

We name our kids what they would be if they were in public school, and then choose curriculum based on where they are (regardless of grade title).

Here in SC, kids born between Sept 1, 2006 and Aug 31, 2007 are scheduled to be in kindergarten this year. In reality, many of the ones born in the summer of 2007 will not start kindergarten for another year as they are not quite ready.

Kids born between Sept 1, 2005 and Aug 31, 2006 are in first grade this year, plus many of the summer 2005 kids who had been redshirted previously.

My kids are labeled kindergarten & first grade for co-ops, Sunday School, homeschool PE, soccer teams, etc. That has nothing to do with the curriculum I am using for them, which ranges from preschool to second grade.

Edited by MeganW