Menu

shape coloring pages?

Farrar

Everything I've found is clearly for little littles.

I mean with slightly more advanced shapes - hexagon, pentagon, parallelogram, trapezoid, specific types of triangles, etc, etc... We didn't do much geometry K-2 and we just need to catch up a little as we start 3rd grade. They know perimeter and area but are always forgetting what's what with shapes.

There was a little puzzle picture in MM - color the hexagons blue, the pentagons green, etc. and it made a little picture. Very basic, but you had to look at the page covered in shapes and find each one and remember what was what. I thought, gee, we should do half a dozen more of those and that'll do it. But I can't find any. Everything is either a single picture of a shape with a label or is really, really basic - circles, triangles, squares in a very obvious configuration set all apart from each other. I thought surely there would be a Scholastic e-book or something... but no...

This is interesting.

There are a few things in MEP, esp in Y2, I think, about shapes. There are some shape cards too:

Shape Cards

Shape Cards with dots

if you wanted something like that, maybe you could invent your own game with them.

I bought a $1 download from Scholastic called "The Great Big Book of Funtastic Math." It's got worksheets on all sorts of stuff (320 p long). I also have a 304 p "Great Big Book of Super-Fun Math Activities." Neither is coming up on the search, but then I can't get anything to come up on search on the new site. Those have some shape related activities, although not quite what you are looking for -- maybe it would be quicker if you want just that thing, to make your own?

Ooh, cool resource, Stripe. Not what I had in mind, but it could stand in instead - that's exactly the stuff I was looking for. We did the MM pages about the various polygons, but then it was clear my kids had zero retention about it. Two days later, I referenced a hexagon and they had no idea which one that was. It's really just memorization - the skill things covered - how to calculate perimeter, how to find the area of a rectangle, what's a right angle - they definitely got.

I may just make some as well. It seems weird to me that such a thing doesn't exist.

You know if you can get your hands on Childcraft's Mathemagic, it's got some nice stuff about shapes too. The best thing is models of 3d shapes like icosahedrons or something. Better yet, how 'bout I bring my son to play with yours? He's a bit of a taskmaster. He taught my daughter all the shape names. And he doesn't get tired. Yikes.

Eta - maybe you could tie in some things to everyday life? Like a trip to the Natural History museum to see bee hives and look at those hexagons, for example.

Edited by stripe

Or to the art museums. I know, I wanted to be lazy. We went, two years ago now, on an AMAZING math walk done by the Museum of Math just before the Science and Engineering Festival. They just led this group of kids and adults all around the NGA Sculpture Garden, finding shapes, calculating how many of things, then up onto the mall where we calculated the distance to the Washington Monument. It was super cool.

Oh, I did not need to think about vintage books though... Mathemagic, eh? I remember the old Childcraft books at my grandmother's. As far as I could tell, they were the only books in town that I hadn't lugged with me in my own bags... But they sure were fun to look through...

Ha ha, let me know what you think! :) I found mine at a used book bag sale...I was just leaving and I thought, I'll go through this box for the third time, and there it was! I couldn't believe I'd missed it before. Alas, that library no longer has good book sales. My husband is so relieved.

I found some simple shape coloring pages in the NCERT books:

Y1 p 19 (chapter 1 on shapes) and p 109 (chapter 9 on data handling) has a page you could use for this, but these are for triangles, squares, and circles

Y2 chapter 6 has some nice activities as well

Y3 has some nice tiling activities (and includes hexagons)

The chapters on shapes in each of the books I've seen (years 1-4) has been quite nice, and I think if you haven't done much geometry, they might like this. My kids had a lot of fun rolling things down a slide!