Menu

What do you do when your kiddo needs to redo a chapter in math?

Sad, but true....I either re-write (or type) the problems, or come up with my own similar problems and type those.

Alternatively I have used blank labels to cover answers and photocopied the pages.

Once Ds switched to Lial's he wrote in a notebook, sot hat made life easier.

Maybe you could have Dd use a notebook from now on?

If it was just a couple of pages, I'd just make it myself, but I would probably cover the topic with a different text or method anyway if a kid really didn't get the whole thing.

:iagree:I usually re-teach with a different approach, too. I do like to use same problems so I can see if the exact same mistakes happen again.

Sad, but true....I either re-write (or type) the problems, or come up with my own similar problems and type those.

Alternatively I have used blank labels to cover answers and photocopied the pages.

Once Ds switched to Lial's he wrote in a notebook, sot hat made life easier.

Maybe you could have Dd use a notebook from now on?

Well, duh. Just write the problems out.

Thanks.

If it was just a couple of pages, I'd just make it myself, but I would probably cover the topic with a different text or method anyway if a kid really didn't get the whole thing.

I'm not in an area that I can go to the local homeschool store and pick up a different text. I certainly don't want to put math on hold for a week waiting for a new book.

Kutasoftware.com has excellent free worksheets (with answers) for Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2. For students having trouble with word problems in Algebra 1, I suggest going over the worksheets from the Pre-Algebra section first-- LOTS of good stuff... nearly a complete curriculum minus the teaching...

Math.com has an Algebra 1 worksheet generator (free). From their main page click "Algebra 1" on upper left menu. From the next page look near the center for the link to the worksheet generator. You will need to make sure to click 'create an answer sheet' and also disable popups for that site as the answers are in a popup window. You can customize the problems (and number of problems) and it covers the 'trouble areas' of Algebra 1.

Kutasoftware.com has excellent free worksheets (with answers) for Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2. For students having trouble with word problems in Algebra 1, I suggest going over the worksheets from the Pre-Algebra section first-- LOTS of good stuff... nearly a complete curriculum minus the teaching...

Math.com has an Algebra 1 worksheet generator (free). From their main page click "Algebra 1" on upper left menu. From the next page look near the center for the link to the worksheet generator. You will need to make sure to click 'create an answer sheet' and also disable popups for that site as the answers are in a popup window. You can customize the problems (and number of problems) and it covers the 'trouble areas' of Algebra 1.

Thank you.

Other helps:

http://www.purplemath.com/

http://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra

Maybe go through some of this with her, then re-write the problems and have her try again?

Thank you.

Maybe today is a bad day. She isn't having much luck with grammar either. :glare: I may just set her to reading for the rest of the day. :D

Is there more than one approach for order of operations?

I was thinking of younger years, really, where you can get out manipulatives or backtrack if you need to. That is an interesting question though. Sometimes even different wording or a different teacher can make a difference. I've used Khan videos or googled for different explanations in the past for Ds. Jann in TX once posted a great lesson alternative for one of Lials' lessons.

You can find a used copy of Dolciani's Algebra on Amazon generally for a couple of bucks if you look around a bit.

It is a classic textbook (You are looking for a 1970-1975 imprint) that has launched many a professional mathematics career, and the problems in it are beautiful and workable. If you have Prime, kick in free shipping if you find a used copy from a seller who cooperates with Amazon, and for $2-3, you have an entire textbook of extra problems, plus a backup explanation of concepts if you need it.

You can find a used copy of Dolciani's Algebra on Amazon generally for a couple of bucks if you look around a bit.

It is a classic textbook (You are looking for a 1970-1975 imprint) that has launched many a professional mathematics career, and the problems in it are beautiful and workable. If you have Prime, kick in free shipping if you find a used copy from a seller who cooperates with Amazon, and for $2-3, you have an entire textbook of extra problems, plus a backup explanation of concepts if you need it.

Thanks.

ETA: The word must be out on these. They are not a couple of bucks. Everything I looked at was $40+

Is there more than one approach for order of operations?

To teach it or to do it?

The rules are the same, regardless of text.

Please Excuse (My Dear) (Aunt Sally)

Parenthesis Exponents (Multiplication Division) (Addition Subtraction)

Lots of texts, from 5th or 6th through algebra, cover it; you might even be able to borrow one from a friend and do just that section.

Why not make up some problems? And have her make some up for you? Play around with them - see what you can do to change the answer; see what you can do that doesn't change it.

Thanks.

ETA: The word must be out on these. They are not a couple of bucks. Everything I looked at was $40+

Go back and look again every couple of days. Cheap ones do appear when somebody dumps off a crate of books on a seller who doesn't realize what he has. I paid under $5 for mine.