Menu

Home renovation question: WWYD about nail pops vs. perfectionism?

The kitchen thread really got me thinking. This old house is so grungy and dingy and warped, it depresses me. Everything in it (with the exception of the relatively new bathroom) is just a little...well, off. So I want to start thinking about starting some basic improvements, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and that's holding me back.

The biggest issue is this: The nails in every wall and ceiling in this house are popping through. According to my dad, this is normal in an older (early 1960s) home, because a lot of builders were using nails instead of screws. He said the only way to really fix it would be to go around and drill a screw next to every nail pop, dig out the nails, spackle the holes, and then repaint...:svengo:

Would you just paint for now and leave the big job for later? Would you take on the big job with the attitude that a job worth doing is worth doing right, even though that attitude might be the death of the project? DH says the former, I say the latter, but I also know this house would have been painted long ago if it weren't for my obsession with the nail pops!

WDYT? Do a good-enough job now and a phenomenal job later when we have the time/energy? Or keep waiting and staring at the chipped/stained/scraped paint and wishing we could just move?

TIA!

Would you just paint for now and leave the big job for later? Would you take on the big job with the attitude that a job worth doing is worth doing right, even though that attitude might be the death of the project? DH says the former, I say the latter, but I also know this house would have been painted long ago if it weren't for my obsession with the nail pops!

WDYT? Do a good-enough job now and a phenomenal job later when we have the time/energy? Or keep waiting and staring at the chipped/stained/scraped paint and wishing we could just move?

TIA!

Personally (and I happen to be a perfectionist, too), I would go with Option #1, primarily because I know how long and tedious option #2 would be. :-} Look at your final question in your post: when the alternative is wishing you could move, well then, doesn't it sound better to go with the option that would leave you feeling probably lots better about the place for now? :) You can always do what I do and notice the nail pops and think, "One day. One day" and move on down the hall. :D

I would work on fixing the nail pops and then repainting, one room at a time. You may come across other issues in each room as you go, and I'd correct all the little things and get the rooms done slowly. Painting is no picnic either, and I'd rather not take the time and money to paint if I knew I'd be less than completely satisfied after doing it.

In our previous house, I felt a lot like you do. There was so much to do and I wanted to do everything right. And it was almost impossible to do the job perfectly. I would get so discouraged just thinking about all that needed to be done.

What worked for dh and I, was that I left the painting job almost entirely to him. His mindset is one of getting in there and getting the job done pretty well, but not obsessing over it. When he finishes a room it always looks quite good... not perfect, but good. Of course if I look really close I can find problems, but I try to keep my overcritical self a few steps back. :) Then I am content.

Painting done badly makes me feel much better than painting not done at all.

Painting is no picnic either, and I'd rather not take the time and money to paint if I knew I'd be less than completely satisfied after doing it.

:iagree: with Amy. For me, new paint would just showcase the flaws even more. To keep from being discouraged, maybe you could set a time frame for each room to be completed to help keep you on track - a deadline for accountability?

Done well, it won't have to be done again for a *really* long time.:)

I would paint now, so I can see and live with the wonderful new color. Then I'd take care of the nails a little at a time as I had the time/energy. Then spackle and spot paint when done. That way you can enjoy the niceness of the new, while still getting it done right.