Menu

Katya returns to Ukraine tomorrow (m)

Oh, Cindy! I am so sad for you. Do you know when you will see her again?

One thing to lift your spirits is thinking about the incredible gift you and your family have given her.

I agree! What a beautiful experience she has had. She's seen that people love her! I'd have a hugely hard time putting her on a plane to go back too!:crying:

What's happening with possiblilities of adoption?

Thanks Brigitte and Brindee. Regarding adoption, we wanted to put that on the back burner while Katya was here so it didn't feel like a trial run. We just wanted to spend this time with her for what it was. I wasn't completely able to do that since the possibility of her joining us has been on my mind and heart A LOT. We had some pretty rough days during the second week when I really wonderered if I could move ahead with it, but these past couple of weeks, she's just become a part of the family. We've still had ups and downs, temper tantrums, etc., but the biting, screaming stuff has settled down. We're very thankful for this and honestly, I think it was a healthy thing for her to go through - expressing emotion and all that. And, of course, that could come around again as more stuff works its way up out of her heart. After tomorrow we'll begin processing together and with the other kids about the future.

Thanks again!!!

~Cindy

http://welcomingkatya.blog.com/

Cindy,

It just dawned on my that I should have sent you a First 1000 words in English for Katya to take back with her. If I send one to you, can you send it to her or would that been problematic. Or, is there some other book that you think she might like or could use?

Brigitte

Now that I have read through your blog, I am crying that she must go home tomorrow. Will you be able to adopt her? Even if you cannot, can you send her letters and when she is old enough to leave on her own..come to you? I heard it is pretty young there when they leave the orphanages.

Over the next weeks we will pray and fast asking God to give us clear direction. Because of the red tape, we could not adopt her until late spring/early summer. We will be able to get packages to her periodically b/c of people we know who travel regularly to Ukraine, and possibly even hire a tutor for her to teach her English. And you're right. These kids get "released" from the orphanages at 15 years of age. Around 60% of the females wind up as prostitutes and ~ 70% of the males end up in prison. A good number live in the sewers sniffing glue and shooting up whatever conconction they can create. As you can imagine, it is very difficult for them to get to the US. It's not just the travel expenses - that's nothing. It's getting a visa.

We LOVE Katya and, in our hearts, she has become one of our children. We also love the Ukrainian people and desire to see them walk in the freedom which is now theirs. We had already been planning to return to Ukraine next summer for a ministry trip with our "sister church." Hopefully, we will have another reason to go as well!

Thank you all for your kindness, your care, and your prayers!!!!

~Cindy

Thanks, Julie. I'm going to update my blog sometime today with pictures and a recap of her departure. I'm exhausted today - didn't wake up until 9:00 and still feel like I took one too many Tylenol PM (and I didn't take any.) The outpouring of love and support has been a real encouragement.

~Cindy

I think I agree with the kids... Just *keep* her! :(

(Dh is gonna come in here in a minute wondering why I'm sobbing...)

I'm so glad your family and Katya have had this time together, but it's heartbreaking just *thinking* of having a child for such a short time and having to return her to an institution like that. I can only imagine the pain of *actually* doing it.

I can only imagine it in pieces. I'm going back and forth between the necessary of getting everyone (except Katya) ready to leave tomorrow morning for a family reunion in the mountains of NC and thinking/praying/crying. I feel somewhat paralyzed and the reality is I have a lot to do today. Little bit by little bit, I'll experience the pain and the loss. Underlying the pain, I have the comfort that she is in God's hands and not a thing that has happened is beyond His purview. I have this image of Him carrying her plane and promising, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." Thanks, Abbey!

~Cindy

It seems like she just arrived! See, this is why I said I don't think I could do it. I would be an absolute wreck having her leave again. I admire you for what you've done/are doing, and for faithfully seeking God's will. Peace to you, my friend!

Hi Julie,

Katya did arrive back in Ukaine safely. We were in NC for a family reunion with dh's siblings/cousins/parents last Wed-Sunday. So, we're just now making the transition back to "normal" life without Katya. :( I did find out that someone from Frontier Horizon will be going over in a week or so and I think we should be able to send a package over with him. Emotionally, it's a strange kind of place to be.

~Cindy