Menu

Western Nebraska?

OK, I posted earlier about making a big move.

We are being flown out there in 3 weeks, for a final interview/make sure we'll work well type of meeting. We're pretty sure, DH will get offered the job, and we're pretty sure we'll take it.

So, can you tell me what I need to know about living and homeschooling in Western Nebraska?

Thanks!

I don't know much about Western Nebraska, but homeschooling in Nebraska is a piece of cake!!! You fill out some very easy forms, stating your inteneded curriculum and the number of hours you intend to teach each month...and that is it. No required tests, papers, or other proof you are schooling your child. Which of course is great for those of us who take our job seriously and not so great for the chilren of those parents who dont' really care. But since that isn't you...or me...on to other stuff. It is very easy...no body comes knocking on your door or calling you about your intentions...it's so nice.

So, where in Western Nebraska are you moving to? We live in the North Eastern corner of the state.

If you have more questions....please just ask.

Kathy

Thank you! I'm in Oregon and it has been pretty easy here as well.

In Nebraska, do I contact the local school district and they will give the forms to fill out or can I do it online?

Do I list only secular curriculum or everything?

I'd rather not say where exactly but south west. I've heard it's slightly less humid than the eastern part of the state and there's snakes (yuck) just wondering what else I should know.

I'm only used to minimal snow here and I'm a little nervous about actually living in snow. Also, it appears I'll have to drive or shop mostly online.

I think I'm ready for the adventure, just never ever saw myself as a prairie kind of girl:)

If there's anyone else with information about NE, I'd love to hear it!

You don't have to notify the local school district if you don't want too. They should have the paperwork you need, but there is no guarantee they will hand it over. Our district has been known to feign ignorance when new homeschoolers ask for the proper forms.

Two ways to file in NE: rule 12 or rule 13. We file rule 13, which is a religious exemption. We have to fill out the hours we intend to teach each month, the main teacher of each subject, and curriculum plans for LA, math, science, social studies, and health. There are a couple of other forms you and you dh have to fill out and get notarazied. That's it for the year.

I live on the complete opposite side of the state, but yes, you will be driving a lot. Amazon Prime is my best friend.

Good luck to you!

I grew up in a town of 5,000 in south-central Nebraska. Western Nebraska is pretty remote. You won't be close to any large cities. The wind can be really strong. And you can get a lot of snow with frigid temperatures in the winter.

On the plus side, the people are generally very nice. If you like the great outdoors, you'll probably find interesting things to do/visit. It will be pretty common place to see people in cowboy boots and hats. Depending on how far west you are, there may be more ranches with cattle, etc, than crop farming.

You don't have to notify the local school district if you don't want too. They should have the paperwork you need, but there is no guarantee they will hand it over. Our district has been known to feign ignorance when new homeschoolers ask for the proper forms.

Two ways to file in NE: rule 12 or rule 13. We file rule 13, which is a religious exemption. We have to fill out the hours we intend to teach each month, the main teacher of each subject, and curriculum plans for LA, math, science, social studies, and health. There are a couple of other forms you and you dh have to fill out and get notarazied. That's it for the year.

I live on the complete opposite side of the state, but yes, you will be driving a lot. Amazon Prime is my best friend.

Good luck to you!

Thank you. Well, I've been trying to convince DH we need Amazon Prime, I guess, now he has to let me get it:D

I grew up in a town of 5,000 in south-central Nebraska. Western Nebraska is pretty remote. You won't be close to any large cities. The wind can be really strong. And you can get a lot of snow with frigid temperatures in the winter.

On the plus side, the people are generally very nice. If you like the great outdoors, you'll probably find interesting things to do/visit. It will be pretty common place to see people in cowboy boots and hats. Depending on how far west you are, there may be more ranches with cattle, etc, than crop farming.

Thank you, good to know. Will have to do some winter clothes/gear shopping.

Wow! 5,000 that is tiny! Our town is around 25,000, so not tiny but as I said in a previous post, very different than my familiar.

I know there is both crop farming and ranches in the area. I'm sure the people are very friendly.

Thank you. Well, I've been trying to convince DH we need Amazon Prime, I guess, now he has to let me get it:D

Thank you, good to know. Will have to do some winter clothes/gear shopping.

Wow! 5,000 that is tiny! Our town is around 25,000, so not tiny but as I said in a previous post, very different than my familiar.

I know there is both crop farming and ranches in the area. I'm sure the people are very friendly.

:lol::lol::lol: A town of 5,000 people is considered a HUGE town in Nebraska! Just ask the people in my large metropolis of 3,500 people. We are hot stuff to live in a town that size. ;)

Just want to comment on your mention of "I'm sure the people are very friendly". What a great way to start a new adventure--sure that you're going to like the people--I'll bet they'll like you too!

Thank you. I'm ready to make new friends, hope they are too!

I sent you a PM about Western Nebraska. It's great here! I love it and the people are wonderful. Not too much shopping, but thank goodness for internet.

Thank you for your PM, your info has been so helpful and encouraging.

:lol::lol::lol: A town of 5,000 people is considered a HUGE town in Nebraska! Just ask the people in my large metropolis of 3,500 people. We are hot stuff to live in a town that size. ;)

This literally made me laugh out loud:lol::lol: I might have to visit your metropolis some day- that is if traffic isn't too bad:D

for sure...I live in a town with 400 people...one of my best homeschooling friends live in a town with less than 100 people.

oops....sorry about that....the repeat post....