Menu

UGH! Recent pictures show.....(and need some suggestions)

that I have GOT to lose weight.

I have tried several different diets and plans and exercise over the past few years. I can't seem to do it on my own. I either cheat, or the plan simply does not work even when I stick to it.

I tried WW and I found that it is the way I am already eating! I stayed within my points and NOPE, no weight loss. It also was no change in my diet.

This has been an ongoing 2 year battle of dieting and trying to find what works.

I already don't eat wheat and limit carbs. "Cutting back" does NOT work for me. In fact, what was very frustrating is that during my 4 day vacation with my BFFs last weekend, they ate literally double what I ate and are all thinner than I am. Now, I am much shorter than they are. I am 4'11".

I feel like I need the support, but don't want to spend the $$$$.

Here is my question:

So, at this point, would you just pay a local weight loss center and have the strong accountability? I feel like I need it. DH is thin and isn't really supportive. He keeps saying, "well, just exercise more." :glare::glare::glare: There is only so much I can do!

Edited by DawnM

I have tried several different diets and plans over the past few years. I can't seem to do it on my own. I either cheat, or the plan simply does not work even when I stick to it.

All that works for me is low(no) carb, high fat. Everything else I tried, I felt like I was literally starving after about 3 months. Now I feel great, and I'm never hungry like I used to be. I've been over a year on this plan now.

ETA- I went to a local diet place for accountability a few years back. Worked great for 3 months, then I was starving.

How do you stick to that when you don't care for too much meat?

I feel so sluggish if I have mostly meat.

When I have done low carb it has been with protein shakes/soy based items.

Atkins, hands down. It has been my lifestyle for two years now & will be forever.

I wouldn't feel good if I ate that either. Green leafy veggies are low carb. Eggs are low carb. Nuts are relatively low carb. Full fat dairy is low carb.

Lots of veggies and nuts. Check the Atkins website for vegetarian & vegan recipes and menus.

I do eat a lot of veggies. I eat a large salad for dinner.

Not overly fond of eggs, but do add egg whites to low carb things to bulk them up a bit.

I wouldn't feel good if I ate that either. Green leafy veggies are low carb. Eggs are low carb. Nuts are relatively low carb. Full fat dairy is low carb.

Thank you. I feel like I have a low metabolism too. :glare: I guess I just feel like I now need some outside help to figure this all out.

I'm a short gal, too, and I wish I could just grow 4 or 5 inches to even out my weight. Seems like that would be about as easy as losing it (meaning I'm finding it impossible to lose it.) So all I have to offer is :grouphug:.

Guest submarines

I wonder if you might want to develop a taste for meat and eggs. :tongue_smilie: Maybe there's a special way of preparing these that you will enjoy? Experiment more.

:grouphug:

What worked for me was a Raw Vegan diet. I used Alissa Cohen's book/DVD, Living on Live Food and her online forum Raw Food Talk as a jumping off point. I lost 55 - 60 lbs. in about 6 months and I ate a TON of food. I also got rid of migraines that I had been plagued with for 20 yrs., carpal tunnel, and asthma. It's an adjustment, but it's doable if you really want to.

You need muscles! Muscles burn calories even at rest. If you're not doing any regular strength-building exercise, consider it. This kind of exercise is also great for strong bones.

Another thing I've become convinced of is that for many of us in our 40s and up, hormones are a big problem. I've been thinking of trying Amberen; has anyone else used it?

Strength training to build muscles, plus cardio to burn fat (and increase cardiovascular fitness) may help you see more results from your diet.

Wendi

I guess this is my point.

I did Vegan, and even raw for about 8 months about 3 years ago. Felt fantastic, but no weight loss.

Then I exercised diligently for a long time. Minimal weight loss. Some toning.....no real good weight loss.

I just can't seem to do this and make it work.

I highly recommend Curves. Do you have one near you? I lost about 30 pounds (maybe more?) in less than 6 months, working out 30 minutes a day, 3 to 4 times a week. Like a PP, I think building muscle is key and you will burn calories faster. I also just naturally ate better too, because I didn't want to ruin my hard work from the workouts (which really are not that bad!). The 30 minutes goes by really fast. Of course I gained some back after quitting, but it is on my list of things to do again!

Whatever route you decide, I wish you all the best, you can do it! :grouphug:

LCHF and lifting weights is what does it for me. I have a nagging 4 pounds but I am just so sick of having to try so hard!

LOSING weight is incredibly difficult. Maintaining is easy for me if I mostly stick to LCHF. Have you seen Marks Daily Apple? There is a new Atkins, where a gram of fiber offsets the carb. Then you can eat legumes.

I do not like to eat a lot of meat either. I love turkey, fish, canned tuna/salmon, eggs, greek yogurt. I started eating lentils again because I love them and I'm just tired of the limited options.

I wish I could just grow a foot.

Some toning.....no real good weight loss.

I'm not saying that there may not be other things (I also think having your endocrine levels checked is a good thing), but - "some toning" is not enough.

Weights, at the gym if you can, three times a week until your muscles are sore or feel like they are going to split in half.

I could fast-walk 10 miles a day and never lose a pound. Weight train? I can lose and maintain.

The closest gym to me is about 10 miles each way. The closest Curves is about 15 miles.

There used to be a Curves close by, in fact, there were 3. But they all closed down.

Then start with cans of soup - they do the same thing :) Also - there are those elastic tension bands at WalMart for about $10 - those work wonderfully.

Oh, I have exercise equipment at home, I just can't go to the gym as someone suggested.

Then start with cans of soup - they do the same thing :) Also - there are those elastic tension bands at WalMart for about $10 - those work wonderfully.

I guess I feel like I have tried most of the suggestions you are all throwing at me. While I appreciate the suggestions, they aren't working!

If I were fat enough, I would get lap band, but I don't qualify for that.

One test. They said they don't do more unless there is a reason in the first test, and they said there wasn't.

TSH: 2.25 (normal 1.8 to 3)

T4: 9 (normal 6-12)

FTI: 2.8 (normal 1.2-4.9)

T3: 31 (normal 28-38)

How was your thyroid checked? Was it one test or many?
Edited by DawnM

I have tried several different diets and plans and exercise over the past few years. I can't seem to do it on my own. I either cheat, or the plan simply does not work even when I stick to it.

I tried WW and I found that it is the way I am already eating! I stayed within my points and NOPE, no weight loss. It also was no change in my diet.

This has been an ongoing 2 year battle of dieting and trying to find what works.

I already don't eat wheat and limit carbs. "Cutting back" does NOT work for me. In fact, what was very frustrating is that during my 4 day vacation with my BFFs last weekend, they ate literally double what I ate and are all thinner than I am. Now, I am much shorter than they are. I am 4'11".

I feel like I need the support, but don't want to spend the $$$$.

Here is my question:

So, at this point, would you just pay a local weight loss center and have the strong accountability? I feel like I need it. DH is thin and isn't really supportive. He keeps saying, "well, just exercise more." :glare::glare::glare: There is only so much I can do!

I don't have any answers, but I understand your pain. I am short as well. My family got family pictures done yesterday.

It was awful. :( Everyone looked really cute, except me. You know...the part where you purposefully put all your kids in front of you, lift up your chin a little higher...try to hide the arms. Oh well. At least I have cute kids :)

Guest submarines
I guess I feel like I have tried most of the suggestions you are all throwing at me. While I appreciate the suggestions, they aren't working!

If I were fat enough, I would get lap band, but I don't qualify for that.

:grouphug: What is your height / weight, and what is your goal weight?

I don't know. I had a harder time losing weight while exercising for some reason.

What is working for me is:

- breakfast with protein (I have peanut butter on a waffle, coffee with milk)

- small lunch (around 200-300 calories)

- small snack around 3 or 4pm (possibly with another cup of coffee...)

- regular dinner

- small evening snack or two (like a baby bell cheese, spoonful of peanut butter)

It is working slowly, but working. I try to avoid carb snacks because they just make me more hungry. If I have a snack, I try to keep it around 100 calories and make it a protein.

Also, keeping as busy as possible helps me avoid extra snacking (usually!).

I have a LOT to lose! It still won't budge.

It also depends how much you have to lose. If it's not much, it is so much harder! I lost a TON of weight at one point. At first it kept coming off then just stuck. I had to work really hard.

4'11" and I weight between 175-180.

According to the height/weight chart my highest weight before being considered overweight, is 125.

That is 50+ pounds.

:grouphug: What is your height / weight, and what is your goal weight?

This is truly how I eat on a regular basis just to maintain my weight minus a waffle as I can't have wheat.

Anything over and I gain.

I read that most people under calculate their caloric intake, so I journal every bite for a while every now and then to see.....nope, not under calculating....just can't eat as much as most people.

I don't know. I had a harder time losing weight while exercising for some reason.

What is working for me is:

- breakfast with protein (I have peanut butter on a waffle, coffee with milk)

- small lunch (around 200-300 calories)

- small snack around 3 or 4pm (possibly with another cup of coffee...)

- regular dinner

- small evening snack or two (like a baby bell cheese, spoonful of peanut butter)

It is working slowly, but working. I try to avoid carb snacks because they just make me more hungry. If I have a snack, I try to keep it around 100 calories and make it a protein.

Also, keeping as busy as possible helps me avoid extra snacking (usually!).

Guest submarines
4'11" and I weight between 175-180.

According to the height/weight chart my highest weight before being considered overweight, is 125.

That is 50+ pounds.

:grouphug: I'd push for more tests. Find a doctor who believes that an inability to lose weight is an indication for more tests. I once had a doctor with the opposite extreme--I told her I couldn't lose the last 10 lb, and she immediately told me that my hormones were out of whack, and that I needed a bunch of tests and medication. While at my weight at that time I thought she was being ridiculous and I left her, you need someone with the same approach now.

Have you tried seeing a naturopath?

I dunno, sounds like you're working pretty hard at it and hold yourself pretty accountable. I agree with the others that you should push harder to rule out physical issues first. I also think that low carb, high fat is great. I am a vegetarian, but I eat lots of veggies, nuts, good fats (avacado, coconut oil, grass-fed BUTTER...yum...yes, I love butter), whole-fat dairy, etc. I think it's possible to do it without the meat if meat doesn't work for you. I do eat a ton of eggs, though I saw early in the thread that you aren't that fond of eggs.

Good luck. I know how hard it is to get rid of extra pounds.

ETA: I don't eat wheat/gluten, either.

If accountability will keep you focused and committed, then yes, maybe that is the next step. Sounds like you know the many paths to get there, but maybe just need more motivation to keep going and going or tweaking things for more results. It's hard when feeling like you're running the race and the finish line isn't getting any closer.

I'm going a weight loss challenge with friends and it is a little motivating. Keeping track of everything I eat, even when I feel like I eat well, makes a major difference for some reason. I don't think I change what I eat, but I notice slow weight loss when I track all my meals.

Make sure you're sleeping enough is major and you don't have other major stresses in your life. I use amino-acid supplements to help make those things happen in my life. Actually, easing stress if it exists, can be one of the biggest hurdles to jump if you feel like you're already doing all the right things.

But back to accountability, maybe that is the right answer. Just a matter of finding it delivered in a method that is sustainable and useful.

eta: I hated eggs, really hated eggs ... until I realized how effective they were for making my feel mentally better because if gave me a high protein breakfast option that my body needed (I also do lower carb, high protein/fat approach - along with weight lifting now).

Here are a few things that are working for me:

Listening to the Fat to Fit podcast. These guys are great. They are all about lifestyle changes, SLOW weight-loss, resetting your metabolism. One of the most interesting things they talk about is maybe some people need to eat MORE in order for their bodies to start losing weight. It sounds like you eat less than everyone else you are with...maybe it is not enough. They often suggest that people eat more for a few weeks and then restart their exercise program and see what happens.

Couch to 5K. I am NOT a runner. Or I should say I WAS not a runner. Hated it all my life. Now I am 41 and seriously needed a routine I could follow. This was a great way for me to start slowly. Now I am at the gym every day still running.

Lose it app. Really has helped me get a handle on my calories. It is a food/exercise diary. I see now that I don't really overeat (but I do make really bad choices when I have skipped lunch.)

GymGoal app. If you don't know what weightlifting exercises to do this is a good place to start.

BTW - I was running/working out regularly for about 6 weeks before I saw the scale move for the first time. I just keep telling myself that SLOW weightloss is healthy, sustainable weightloss. PLUS, everyday that I go to the gym I mentally feel better, it changes what I see in the mirror (even if what I see in the mirror hasn't really changed!)

Good luck!

I guess that is what I am trying to decide.

Maybe more than "should I have accountability?" is the question of, "how much should I allow myself to spend on this?"

The truth is, if you promised me, with 100% certainty, that I could lose 1 pound per $100 I would find a way to pay, even though it would be very expensive.

I just don't want to waste $$, ya know?

My friend is spending about $400/mo on Ideal Protein. 3 little protein packets a day at $4.40 a pop and once a week "counseling." She is losing weight, but ugh!

Dawn

If accountability will keep you focused and committed, then yes, maybe that is the next step. Sounds like you know the many paths to get there, but maybe just need more motivation to keep going and going or tweaking things for more results. It's hard when feeling like you're running the race and the finish line isn't getting any closer.

I'm going a weight loss challenge with friends and it is a little motivating. Keeping track of everything I eat, even when I feel like I eat well, makes a major difference for some reason. I don't think I change what I eat, but I notice slow weight loss when I track all my meals.

Make sure you're sleeping enough is major and you don't have other major stresses in your life. I use amino-acid supplements to help make those things happen in my life. Actually, easing stress if it exists, can be one of the biggest hurdles to jump if you feel like you're already doing all the right things.

But back to accountability, maybe that is the right answer. Just a matter of finding it delivered in a method that is sustainable and useful.

eta: I hated eggs, really hated eggs ... until I realized how effective they were for making my feel mentally better because if gave me a high protein breakfast option that my body needed (I also do lower carb, high protein/fat approach - along with weight lifting now).

Yeah, WW tried that on me.....telling me to eat MORE. I consistently gained between 2-3 pounds per week for 3 weeks before I told them NO WAY! Not any more!

I am 4'11". There is simply no way I should eat what a person 9 inches taller than I am should eat.

I do agree I need to move more again. I used to. I slacked off.

I hate to stick with low carb forever, but I am thinking I may have to. I hate not enjoying food. I would rather keep counting calories.

Dawn

Here are a few things that are working for me:

Listening to the Fat to Fit podcast. These guys are great. They are all about lifestyle changes, SLOW weight-loss, resetting your metabolism. One of the most interesting things they talk about is maybe some people need to eat MORE in order for their bodies to start losing weight. It sounds like you eat less than everyone else you are with...maybe it is not enough. They often suggest that people eat more for a few weeks and then restart their exercise program and see what happens.

Couch to 5K. I am NOT a runner. Or I should say I WAS not a runner. Hated it all my life. Now I am 41 and seriously needed a routine I could follow. This was a great way for me to start slowly. Now I am at the gym every day still running.

Lose it app. Really has helped me get a handle on my calories. It is a food/exercise diary. I see now that I don't really overeat (but I do make really bad choices when I have skipped lunch.)

GymGoal app. If you don't know what weightlifting exercises to do this is a good place to start.

BTW - I was running/working out regularly for about 6 weeks before I saw the scale move for the first time. I just keep telling myself that SLOW weightloss is healthy, sustainable weightloss. PLUS, everyday that I go to the gym I mentally feel better, it changes what I see in the mirror (even if what I see in the mirror hasn't really changed!)

Good luck!

Dawn, I can sense your frustration. I have done a lot of reading/research on these issues lately. What I can tell you is that anything that is not sustainable in the long term is not worth it in the short term. Your friend's program does not sound sustainable for the rest of her life. You need to decide what you can do for the rest of your life that you can start now. One hour walks in the morning? Free. Sustainable. Looking at your caloric intake and seeing if maybe you need more in order to assure your body you will not starve it. Free. Sustainable. Quick weight-loss is a sure recipe for quick return of the weight. Maybe you just need to refocus on getting fit and not on losing weight. The goals change and it is not just the scale anymore. It is being able to walk a mile, or run a mile, or whatever. These things we have more control over.

Good luck!

It is really important to have enough esential fatty acids in your diet and in my opinion Cod Liver Oil is the best thing you can take. It regualtes hormones and keeps everything more balanced. It may also be beneficial to see a Naturopath to see if there is any imbalances that make it difficult to loose weight.

Another thing that may help if it is a hormonal imbalance would be dandelion root tincture but it woud be best to get some blood tests before begining any regimen to be sure of what you are dealing with.

One thing that I enjoy in the morning for breakfast is 3 Tbsp of Hemp hearts with 1 Tbsp of Chia seed, some sunflower seeds and a bit of cereal (usually some health food store gluten free cereal with choclolate) which I top off with coconut milk. The Hemp hearts really do keep you full for a long time and they are great for you.

Edited by Hope in God

Interesting. You reminded me that someone else told me that recently. I think I still have the info for a local Naturopath. I will take a look.

Dawn

It is really important to have enough esential fatty acids in your diet and in my opinion Cod Liver Oil is the best thing you can take. It regualtes hormones and keeps everything more balanced. It may also be beneficial to see a Naturopath to see if there is any imbalances that make it difficult to loose weight.

Yes, and DH reminded me that last time I seriously tried a diet like that I had some severe short term memory loss. He doesn't want me to do it again.

As for not losing weight.....well, if I can weight what I weigh and be healthy that would be great, but I don't believe obese is healthy.

Dawn

Dawn, I can sense your frustration. I have done a lot of reading/research on these issues lately. What I can tell you is that anything that is not sustainable in the long term is not worth it in the short term. Your friend's program does not sound sustainable for the rest of her life. You need to decide what you can do for the rest of your life that you can start now. One hour walks in the morning? Free. Sustainable. Looking at your caloric intake and seeing if maybe you need more in order to assure your body you will not starve it. Free. Sustainable. Quick weight-loss is a sure recipe for quick return of the weight. Maybe you just need to refocus on getting fit and not on losing weight. The goals change and it is not just the scale anymore. It is being able to walk a mile, or run a mile, or whatever. These things we have more control over.

Good luck!

I agree, I don't think obese is healthy either. What I was suggesting is that taking the emphasis off the scale and moving it to something that is a bit easier to control (how much you exercise, for example) helps relieve some of the frustration and depression from the scale not moving. In the end, baring some medical reasons, moving more will eventually result in weight loss. Since the WW people already thought you were not eating enough it does sound like there might be some metabolism issues to look at. :grouphug:

Interesting. You reminded me that someone else told me that recently. I think I still have the info for a local Naturopath. I will take a look.

Dawn

Yes! See a naturopath! In my experience they care about you as an individual so much more, and are willing to dig deep to find the root of the problem. Hang in there!

How much protein are you getting a day? I recently read that 60g is the minimum now recommended by some dietitians.

I also read what happens when we don't get enough protein, but I can't remember enough to relate it here.

Costco sells a great high protein drink that's under $1.50/serving.

HTH!