Menu

? about K12's Human Odyssey

I ws looking at the TOC for each volume over at christianbook dot com, and have a question for those that have actually used this series...

Would I need to add in additional American history, or is it sufficiently covered within the scope of world history in the K12 HO books?

As a survey of history, yes there is enough American history across the three volumes. I will be adding in some more American-centric readings to World Wars 1 and 2 and the Depression, partly because I've found some excellent non- and historical fiction books at our library and partly because I'm afraid we'll spend too much of our time studying early Americsn history (1500s through Civil War) next year to adequately address the twentieth century.

However, if you're looking for an American history course, The Human Odyssey books aren't going to work. The books cover North American, South American, African, European, and Asian history about equally.

Thank you! Since I am looking seriously at using your schedule for Human Odyssey + OUP this year (and hoping you'll get part 2 shared someday!), AND I'd want to add in [good] historical fiction, it might take us 4 years to get through the 3 volumes of HO, so I just wanted to make sure there was some coverage of America in there.

It sounds like it will really work. Thank you so, so much for that schedule!

I would say there's some, but, for us, not enough. We used HO1 in 5th, HO1 and part of HO2 in 6th, using the rest of HO2 and Hakim's History of US in 7th and 8th. I don't have HO3 yet, but may get it to go with 8th along with HofUS. Basically, I switched the focus in 7th and 8th to have American history be the focus and world history the supplement.