Menu

Open question about Army uniforms

There are so many different uniforms. There are the dress whites, I get that. The fatigues, check. But then there are light blue uniforms with gold cords, navy uniforms with medals & ribbons. And another uniform with a sash.

What does all that mean?

Edited by LibraryLover

When my dh was in the Air Force, he had dress blues, then he had Formal Dress Blues. Some other clothing was determined by work position, depending on his work assignment he may be wearing different clothing for that as well.

My husband is Navy and the uniforms kill me. Dress blues, dress whites, working uniforms (blue camouflage so they can hide in the ocean), black and tans... then he made CPO and they all changed plus he had to get khakis. Add in flight suits and the majority of his closet is uniforms.

Forgot about PT gear, too...

My husband is Navy and the uniforms kill me. Dress blues, dress whites, working uniforms (blue camouflage so they can hide in the ocean), black and tans... then he made CPO and they all changed plus he had to get khakis. Add in flight suits and the majority of his closet is uniforms.

I did not have any idea there were so many! Amazing.

To be an officer you have to have a college degree. It doesn't necessarily have to come from a military college though.

I did not know that. So you could have 3 purple hearts or whatnot and not be an officer? How might your ranking change if you were career military, served well, but never went/to finished college. Your dress uniform would would show your achievements, I assume, but ranks are different, yes?

So 40 year old soldier, lots of ribbons for service, medals..no college degree. He/she would be addressed as....?

Edited by LibraryLover

:lol::lol: DH is Navy and every time I see the blue fatigues I imagine a ship floating in the water and all you can see is a bunch of floating heads. That and you know if an enemy plane is flying overhead and they spot this warship in the water, but can't see anybody because of the fatigues, their first impression is going to be, "Move along. Nothing to see here!" :lol::lol:

(my apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread)

Air Force here....

Flight Suits

Different uniforms for different deployment locations

Dress Blues (like a suit, so for day to day needing to dress up)

Mess Dress (like a tux, for formal events)

Ceremonial Uniform *i'm sure there is another name for it* (for honor guard- funerals, weddings, when working a 'detail')

PT uniforms.....

Our closet is packed!

Guest cupcakestrong

There are two paths: enlisted and officer. Each side has its own rank heirarchy and requirements. The 40 yr old would be addresses as whatever rank he/she has obtained at that point. :)

:lol::lol: DH is Navy and every time I see the blue fatigues I imagine a ship floating in the water and all you can see is a bunch of floating heads. That and you know if an enemy plane is flying overhead and they spot this warship in the water, but can't see anybody because of the fatigues, their first impression is going to be, "Move along. Nothing to see here!" :lol::lol:

Fine with me. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Rank on the Enlisted Side (not officer) has to do with time in service, performance, achievements. In the air force, there is a point system. There is a test you take (which gives you points) which is then added to points you get for serving time (10 years is more points then 2), time in rank (so if I an an e5 for 4 years, I get more points then an e5 for 1 year) and points for medals/achievements (like a purple heart, bronze star, air force accommodation) and the like. Then I can get promoted, once they see who has the most "points".

The ranks go from E-1 (airman basic right out of training) to E-9 (the highest enlisted rank).

Rank is shown on the sleeves of uniforms for enlisted, on the collar/shoulders for officer (they have their own O1-O9 ranks). The ribbons and medals on the front of the uniform are achievements, not rank. A low ranking person can have lots of achievements, and a high ranking person just a few, depending on deployments they have done, and honors they have earned.

Hope that helps.

I did not know that. So you could have 3 purple hearts or whatnot and not be an officer? How might your ranking change if you were career military, served well, but never went/to finished college. Your dress uniform would would show your achievements, I assume, but ranks are different, yes?

So 40 year old soldier, lots of ribbons for service, medals..no college degree. He/she would be addressed as....?

You would ask that person what their rank is and how they wish to be addressed. Rank, or position, is determined by many things. How long in the military, which performance tests were passed, how quickly they passed them.... A person with a college degree amy chose to be commissioned and become an officer, or just be an ordinary enlisted person. What you call a person depends on their rank. Rank is shown on uniforms with sleeve stripes, collar pins, uniform style (at times), and that is taught to the person after they enter the military. One requirement is that you are able to recognize rank of anyone you meet.

Ribbons are for a variety of things and don't necessarily have anything to do with rank. You earn them for length of service, where you served, special awards, and so on.

A Purple Heart is a medal given to anyone who is injured or killed in military action. Rank doesn't matter. Wikipedia has a great explanation of it here.

Air Force here....

Flight Suits

Ceremonial Uniform *i'm sure there is another name for it* (for honor guard- funerals, weddings, when working a 'detail')

PT uniforms.....

Our closet is packed!

My dh had all of those plus a Chem warfare suit. We finally had to dedicate an entire closet just for his uniforms! Don't forget the special socks, shoes/boots, hats, t-shirts....

Another question. If you graduate from a military college, do you come out an officer? Would it depend on your class rank?

Yes, I am that ignorant.

There are lots of paths to a commission, but they all require a 4 year degree. You need a Master's degree to ascend to certain jobs/ranks on the officer side. You could have attended a military college and still not receive a commission.

It has nothing to do with your class rank. :)

I don't think that Army uses the dress whites anymore. DH never had to wear them in Hawaii. But, they do have white shirts now (they used to be green, yuck). But, the Navy definitely loves the dress whites. Joint (meaning people from different services) events might have people in several different uniforms.

[eta: even an all-Army event could have officers in one uniform (like the mess dress) and enlisted in another (the Class A uniform]

Ribbons depend upon a lot of things. Enlisted people actually have more opportunities to earn ribbons and medals than officers because they receive them for lots of things that officers cannot. Combat arms people have more opportunity than support people for the same reason (even if they were stationed/deployed the same places and number of times).

They are addressed depending upon their rank. For example, both Lieutenant Colonels and (full bird) Colonels are addressed as Colonel. Any general (Brigadier General, Major General, Lieutenant General or General) is addressed as General. Here is a chart on how to address different ranks:

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/Prep_For_Basic_Training/Prep_for_basic_general_information/addressing-the-different-.shtml

Edited by Mrs Mungo

My dh is AD Air Force and has only three uniforms= the camo (which has another name but they have changed it several times in 25 years he has been in so I don't remember the current name), the regular blue, which he has to wear on Mondays and is like a suit, or he can wear it without a suit jacket, which is how he almost always wears it, and finally the mess dress, which is a tuxedo.

My dh is an officer, however, he is a scientist so like many other scientists, he has never been deployed. He was going to be on a mission to Iraq to work as an nuclear monitoring person but his team never went since Saddam Hussein stopped letting inspectors in at that time.

Anyway, in the scientific/engineering areas he has worked in, he has had many enlistees who had not only bachelor degrees but even advanced degrees. Normally those were people who first got into the Air Force right out of college or maybe after a two year degree and then took advantage of the military's funding for continued education to further their education. Most of them would do that since between their actual experience, their educations, and their high clearance levels, they could command very good salaries when they left. If they had the will to postpone rewards for a long time, they would work till twenty years or so, and then retire from the military and immediately hop over to very well paid work in the civilian side.

But anyway, LibraryLover, ask away about the military. I think most of us really like it when people try to learn more about it. :001_smile:

To be an officer you have to have a college degree. It doesn't necessarily have to come from a military college though.

This is not always true any more. Our downstairs neighbor is a 1LT (about to pin his CPT) who flies helo's but he doesn't have his degree. He went in through some special program. He explained it, but I didn't understand it, so I kind of smiled and nodded and made the appropriate noises. :D We've known a few people who've gone to OCS who have not had degrees.

James Bond is a Warrant Officer (Commissioned, but also...not? It's all wonky how that works) and doesn't have his degree yet (2 classes to go!). Many WO's don't have degrees, though most work on them as it's favorable when it comes to promotions and there are a few that require Master's on the commissioned and WO side.

There are lots of paths to a commission, but they all require a 4 year degree. You need a Master's degree to ascend to certain jobs/ranks on the officer side. You could have attended a military college and still not receive a commission.

It has nothing to do with your class rank. :)

I don't think that Army uses the dress whites anymore. DH never had to wear them in Hawaii. But, they do have white shirts now (they used to be green, yuck). But, the Navy definitely loves the dress whites. Joint (meaning people from different services) events might have people in several different uniforms.

No, the army doesn't use whites any more. Thank goodness! JB would forever be staining them. He has his Mess Dress, Class A's, Class B's (basically Class A with a few changes), his regular ACU's (camo) and his Afghanistan ACU's, PT uniforms (summer and winter) and chem gear. It's insane! I have to say I do like the events we go to where he has to wear his Dress Mess. They look so nice and he's so handsome in them. Plus, it means I get to dress up too. ;) I'm sooooo happy they got rid of those nasty dress green uniforms as they were truly hideous.

My dad was in the navy forever and had so many uniforms it was insane. He had regular whites and then he had another set of more formal whites (with a neru collar) that he had to buy for a function as that was the call uniform (the uniform everyone was supposed to wear). The event ended up getting cancelled so he never wore them. When he retired he got to chose the call uniform so he picked those because he said even if it was the last time he was ever going to wear a uniform he was determined he was going to wear that one at least once.

Uniforms are expensive! It ticks me off that they change them at the drop of a hat because then we have to go and buy whatever they've decided on, and not that he's an officer he doesn't get a uniform allowance any more. They're field testing yet another ACU uniform and I'm sure he'll have to switch to that at some point (and probably something else) before he retires. It's exhausting!

Military uniforms and ranks are overwhelming. Our last post was a NATO base and there were so many uniforms from so many countries it could make you dizzy. I have to say that other countries' uniforms make the US uniforms look like pansies. They're all so snazzy while the US uniforms are....blah.

This is not always true any more. Our downstairs neighbor is a 1LT (about to pin his CPT) who flies helo's but he doesn't have his degree. He went in through some special program. He explained it, but I didn't understand it, so I kind of smiled and nodded and made the appropriate noises. :D We've known a few people who've gone to OCS who have not had degrees.

You can go to OCS and be a LT without a degree, but my understanding is that you have to finish a degree before you make Captain? And those waiver programs are going away with the drawdown.

WOs are appointed and they aren't commissioned until they make Chief. The WO world is pretty different from a regular officer's. But, both of them need a 4 year degree in order to advance. If you don't have it, then you will max out at a certain point.

Air Force here....

Flight Suits

PT uniforms.....

Our closet is packed!

And don't forget all the old stuff because they keep changing styles every few years. Multiple packed closets here.

You can go to OCS and be a LT without a degree, but my understanding is that you have to finish a degree before you make Captain? And those waiver programs are going away with the drawdown.

WOs are appointed and they aren't commissioned until they make Chief. The WO world is pretty different from a regular officer's. But, both of them need a 4 year degree in order to advance. If you don't have it, then you will max out at a certain point.

Yeah, we knew the waivers would go away with the draw downs, but our neighbor will be pinning his 3 next month or the month after and he doesn't have a degree. He may not get his 4 unless he gets a degree though.

JB is commissioned since he's a chief, but it's such a weird system. He was technically in the active reserves the first year he was a WO, and after that he had to sign papers to become regular army once again (though nothing changed during the year he was active reserves) and then sign more paperwork for his commission when he got his 2. Isn't that weird? The day he went to WOCS, he filled out separation paperwork to leave the army (enlisted) and join the active reserves (officer) until he'd been a WO1 for 1 year. If he had failed out of WOCS (several guys in his class did), his paperwork separating had a stipulation in it that his separation we be negated and he'd go back to being an E7 on active duty. I do not understand this system! What is the point in all of it? Why active reserves?

Most W5's we know have master's, but we know plenty of 3 and 4's who don't hold even a bachelor. With the atmosphere today though, having a degree makes you FAR more competitive when it comes time for the boards, so more WO's are working on them. JB had 3 years of college before he enlisted, but due to various things (you know, wars and all), it's taken him 16 years to get down to needing just 2 more classes. He's trying to get them in and get his degree before the board convenes next year as he's up for promotion then. Once he gets his BA, he's going to work on a master's in military intel because he really wants his 4 (5 if he can get it, but he'd be happy retiring a 4) and while it's not a requirement for 4, he thinks it will give him an advantage at the selection board.

Seriously, the workings of the military is the most insane "system" (and I use that word lightly) I've ever seen. There is no rhyme or reason to it and just when you think you've got some idea of what's going on they decide to change it all. Much like the uniforms.

UGH, don't get me started on uniforms.

My dh owns

Navy Choker Whites (the dress whites everyone but apparently me love)

Summer whites (makes him look like captain stubing from the love boat)

NWUs (the newest uniform, blue digital camis mentioned above)

Mess dress (really fancy for super formal events when the choker whites just aren't enough for those above a certain rank)

Dress Blues (used for winter months when the whites would be inappropriate due to weather)

some all blue/black uniform I've never seen him wear but commonly referred to as the "nazi youth uniform" because of it's resemblance to those worn by the nazi youth.

He never wears his Khakis anymore as they've been mostly phased out, but when he wore those he had CNT khakis (polyester blend that was worn by officers when not in the working uniform) and the working khakis which were all cotton and a pain to iron.

Oh and then there are the coveralls which were big blue jumpsuits.

Needless to say my dh always gets the bigger closet because he's got so much more than I do.

That depends on mos. Dh has been a Warrant for a very long time and hasn't finished his degree. He isn't willing to do enough years for his W5 so I am not sure about that but so far no degree hasn't been a problem.

That depends on mos. Dh has been a Warrant for a very long time and hasn't finished his degree. He isn't willing to do enough years for his W5 so I am not sure about that but so far no degree hasn't been a problem.

It is true that it partly depends on MOS (and experience and deployments and who you have worked for and all of that), but it invariably makes one more competitive, even as a WO. In an environment like that of the last ten years, it is easier to be promoted without it. During periods of drawdown, it becomes more difficult.

It is required for regular officers. Even in special programs, such as the one mentioned by Mom in HH, they have to be working on a degree and have to complete it by a certain point.

LOL!! Don't get me started about our closets!!! My CPO dh has more clothes than I do!!!

PLUS, the man won't get rid of his peanut butters. I hate those things. They are sooo ugly. Thankfully, since we were overseas he only had to wear them for 2 months before making Chief.

Kris

For my husband....in the Navy....

Chief. He works for a living.

He is working on his degree, but even then... he'll be Chief.

Kris

And don't forget all the old stuff because they keep changing styles every few years. Multiple packed closets here.

Man!! I keep telling my husband that our next move... all the E-6 and below crud is LEAVING!! I am NOT moving stuff he isn't even allowed to wear anymore!!

Would you believe I found a pair of dungarees in a box after this past move!! THey were phased out in '97/'98 and are 2 uniforms behind the times.

Kris

My husband is active duty air force and the uniforms he routinely wears are ABUs (camp), flight suit, PT, and blues. Non-fliers don't wear flight suits. BUT, we do have the extras just in case: mess dress, sand colored flight suits... Not to mention winter and summer weights!

:lol:

Our last post was a NATO base and there were so many uniforms from so many countries it could make you dizzy. I have to say that other countries' uniforms make the US uniforms look like pansies. They're all so snazzy while the US uniforms are....blah.

My husband took an IA billet to Iraq and had desert camis with Navy insignia. None of the Army guys were familiar with them, so he would get random salutes from all sorts who thought he was some kind of officer. :D

Would you believe I found a pair of dungarees in a box after this past move!! THey were phased out in '97/'98 and are 2 uniforms behind the times.

I believe it. My husband still has his boot camp sweatsuits and at least two pairs of dungarees!

My husband took an IA billet to Iraq and had desert camis with Navy insignia. None of the Army guys were familiar with them, so he would get random salutes from all sorts who thought he was some kind of officer. :D

I believe it. My husband still has his boot camp sweatsuits and at least two pairs of dungarees!

SNORT!!!

My dh is currently at an A school as an instructor. He's become the gruff, "Don't you salute me, I work for a living, so call me Chief." Chief. Boot camp isn't training insignia like they used to.

Kris

Whew, my dh is a purger. We don't have any old uniforms around anymore, I don't think.

eta: We also have 2 giant "war box" chests. Doesn't everyone? ;)

LOL!! We have two!! One is his dad's old sea chest (Vietnam war size) and the other is his grandfather's sea chest (WWII size - slightly smaller than the Vietnam size one).

Kris

eta: We also have 2 giant "war box" chests. Doesn't everyone? ;)

Oh, heavens, do we have that! So.Much.Stuff!

My dad has what we jokingly call an "I love me" room where all of his plaques and awards and medals and photos of him in some of the ports he visited are hanging on the wall.

The case he got at his retirement ceremony is my favorite. It has his name and dates of service and all the ships he served on on a plaque in the center, insignia from every rank he held running down the left and right side, all of his medals (the mini versions) at the top, and a flag that flew over the USS Alabama on the 50th anniversary of a battle it took part in during WWII (my dad is from AL) and a letter from the governor of AL thanking him for his service at the bottom. It's really pretty. My dad says the letter is very unique because the governor had recently been impeached and the Lt. Gov took his place right before my dad's retirement ceremony. The gov's office did not have the correct letterhead yet, so it has the impeached gov's letterhead at the top, but the new gov's name and sig at the bottom.

Goodness knows what we'll do with all of James Bond's stuff when he retires.