Menu

Handwriting woes + holding pen properly...

tammyw

Ds6 has a bad habit of starting letters and numbers from the bottom. We are going to be working on printing skills this year - letters and numbers. I keep reminding him but he keeps reverting back. Will he ever remember?! Of course I assume yes, but it's frustrating! Anything more I can do to help?

Also, he holds his thumb over his pointer rather than gripping the pen. Is this an issue? He doesn't seem comfortable when I try to get that thumb to pinch/grip the pen.

Ds6 has a bad habit of starting letters and numbers from the bottom. We are going to be working on printing skills this year - letters and numbers. I keep reminding him but he keeps reverting back. Will he ever remember?! Of course I assume yes, but it's frustrating! Anything more I can do to help?

Also, he holds his thumb over his pointer rather than gripping the pen. Is this an issue? He doesn't seem comfortable when I try to get that thumb to pinch/grip the pen.

Spalding. Spalding gives specific instructions for how each letter should be written, and handwriting analysis continues in every part of instruction.

Also, yes, pencil grip can be an issue. He isn't comfortable holding the pencil correctly because he's used to holding it incorrectly. You could check out your local teacher supply store to see if you can find some rubber pencil-grips that will help correct it. And then constant, gentle reminders. (He probably holds his fork/spoon "incorrectly," too; at least, that's what I've noticed: people hold their eating implements similarly to how they hold their writing implements. :) )

HWT also gives really specific directions about how to form the letters.

The grip would concern me. I saw enough kids with grip issues as middle schoolers to feel like it's important to correct early.

Okay - we have hwot and will be focusing until it's habit.

I just noticed dd9 also grips the same way. Sheesh. I'm a failure at pencil-grip-teaching! How can I correct this? We tried those rubber grips with her a while back but she didn't like them. Should we try again? Maybe triangular shaped pencils?

I had just noticed that DD had a poor grip earlier this summer. We got a bunch of different rubber grips to try, and she corrected it very quickly. Her handwriting isn't yet as good as it was with the poor grip because she is still retraining herself, but she doesn't fatigue like she was with the poor grip.