Menu

COGATS scores improve or stay same over time?

Beansmom2

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. My daughter must score in the 98% in 2 categories (COGATS) to qualify for an advanced learning program. She also must score in 95% or above on ITBS in reading and math (has 99% in both). In our old school system she only needed 1 98% on cogats. She is now entering grade 7. Her last COGATs were from 3rd grade. Her composites (1st and 2nd) historically have been 98%. The schools here aren't great except for this program. Now I am sweating out the wait. Does anyone have any info? Have your childs scores increased over time?:confused:

My kids' CogAT scores actually fluctuated quite a bit. It is helpful when testing for gifted programs for them to give the test intended for kids at least two grades higher. This provides more of a ceiling and helps to eliminate issues with lower scores due to silly mistakes.

(I'm not a fan of using the CogAT as a determiner for giftedness (especially for 2E kids), but it seems to be the way things are done these days.)