Menu

Room and board charges

Jane in NC

Comments on the rising cost of room and board led me to Google. Without giving too much private information out, could we discuss these costs? They are often not part of a scholarship package so parents of younger students might find this to be illuminating.

My son attends a private LAC in the Midwest. His room and board fee is $9550 for the year--double room. His school does not allow students who reside on campus to opt out of the meal plan (except in rare cases). Most do a standard plan of 200 meals plus $450 "flex" dollars each semester.

His room and board fee is about the same as UNC-CH which will charge $9730 for the coming year. I'm not sure if there are variations in the meal plan to be had but this looks like a standard fee.

UC-Berkeley is pricy in comparison--what one would expect in the Bay Area. There a double room and standard food plan is about $14,000.

One of the more expensive private schools in the nation is Boston University. About $13K for room and board there.

I guess part of my point is to demonstrate that the cost of room and board is less dependent on private/public than on rural/urban.

Of course, some students reduce the costs by renting apartments and opting out of meal plans. I'm not sure that the apartment route is less in expensive cities unless one moves out of the college neighborhood. Commuting costs should also be taken into account. One of my son's friends lived at home to save money during his freshman year but found an apartment for his sophomore. He was spending an hour and a half during his daily commute (45 minutes each way). The loss of study time and the price of gas led him to reconsider this option.

Comments on the rising cost of room and board led me to Google. Without giving too much private information out, could we discuss these costs? They are often not part of a scholarship package so parents of younger students might find this to be illuminating.

My son attends a private LAC in the Midwest. His room and board fee is $9550 for the year--double room. His school does not allow students who reside on campus to opt out of the meal plan (except in rare cases). Most do a standard plan of 200 meals plus $450 "flex" dollars each semester.

His room and board fee is about the same as UNC-CH which will charge $9730 for the coming year. I'm not sure if there are variations in the meal plan to be had but this looks like a standard fee.

UC-Berkeley is pricy in comparison--what one would expect in the Bay Area. There a double room and standard food plan is about $14,000.

One of the more expensive private schools in the nation is Boston University. About $13K for room and board there.

I guess part of my point is to demonstrate that the cost of room and board is less dependent on private/public than on rural/urban.

Of course, some students reduce the costs by renting apartments and opting out of meal plans. I'm not sure that the apartment route is less in expensive cities unless one moves out of the college neighborhood. Commuting costs should also be taken into account. One of my son's friends lived at home to save money during his freshman year but found an apartment for his sophomore. He was spending an hour and a half during his daily commute (45 minutes each way). The loss of study time and the price of gas led him to reconsider this option.

One of dd's uni's that heavily courted her, offered a full scholarship for tuition. However, nothing for room and board. Additionally, because she was offered the president's scholarship, she had to reside in "honors" housing. Now, I do think the honors housing was a fairly studious dorm...fewer occupants, all scholarship receivers so likely serious students, no alcohol, etc. However, they charged, nearly $2500.00 more per year for this "required" housing. $10,500.00 and change for her freshman year. Meanwhile, elderly relatives who lived 5 minutes from campus wanted her to come stay with them for FREE! We would have still paid them some room rent to make sure their utilities were more than covered, but she could not get the scholarship and live off campus even though she met their commuter standard since this was an aunt and uncle. The housing was the deal breaker. She was unwilling to take out a student loan to cover housing since this was not one of her top choice schools.

She would be paying a similar amount for U of M if she lived on campus. While I do think there is something lost in the 90 minute commute each way - she schedules M/W/F or T/TH only classes each semester - the reality is she is a very pragmatic person and since her scholarships cover tuition, fees, and books NOT room and board and it's a real "russian roulette" in terms of roomates (dd would have ZERO patience for partying roomies), she makes the drive. However, for her last three semesters she will be unable to continue scheduling her classes in such manner. So, she has to move to the area. She is absolutely unwilling to consider paying so much to share a dorm room, so she is taking two years off, working full time as a medic, and saving her pennies for an apartment where she can carefully choose a roomate to share expenses.

I think all of these things need to be brought up. In the case of uni one, not only was the honor's housing the extra expense but this was also in a VERY low cost of living area. Three people could share a two or three bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood in that area for $400.00 a month and have electric, water, and garbage included with heat only running an additional $100.00. Given that they can cook for themselves inexpensively by comparison to the cost of the meal plans, it was a NO BRAINER that kids could live off campus for much less. However, there are plenty of college towns across this nation in which living off campus would not be a savings and would be difficult to manage with the study load. On top of that, dorms being major money makers for uni's, plenty of colleges refuse to allow anyone under 21 to live off campus with any other relative BUT mom and dad. Or in the case of my LAC, NO one under 21 no exceptions, period. I knew a guy who paid room and board and his parents lived three miles from campus! That was nuts. I once said to him, "If I had to pay room and board when my parents live less than five minutes away and do not mind having me at home, I'd at least do it someplace besides this one and at least see some other part of the world besides THE TOWN YOU GREW UP IN!!!" Apparently he listened, because at the end of the semester, he moved out of state. :D

These are ALL legitimate questions to ask. The "bottom line" is much more convoluted than just the sticker tag on tuition.

DD applied to and was accepted to 12 uni's for 2009. We did not see any room and board bill less than $8500.00 except one and that was the only Christian university on her list and it was a low of $5500.00, double occupancy and two meals per day and then one could upgrade to a 3 meal per day plan or add flex dollars.

Faith

R&B is aproximately $12,000.00 a year for State College in rural NY. I found the costs are generally about that in State and private colleges. It's a fee that can be raised without raising tuition. :( and when the dorms are full they just throw another kid in a double.

STD. Room & Board for double: $9730 for the year PLUS $100 for resident tech. fee;

ds opted for the unlimited meal plan for an extra $400/semester

I looked ahead at the university upperclass apartment housing, and it's the same cost as the dorms (~ $9700/school yr.) BUT this includes NO food (plus time to shop & cook!). These upperclass apartments are REALLY nice if you're willing to pay the price.

Edited by MIch elle

DD18's room and board runs just under $5K for the year. Very inexpensive thanks to state subsidies, which is good since living on campus is required for freshman whose parents don't live in that city. Most people she talked to said she can get the cost even lower next year by moving off campus or into university housing and doing her own cooking (which would be much better for her schedule).

Room and board at VA Tech for a standard double room and the standard meal plan is about $7200/year. Add about $1300/yr for a standard double in the Residential Living Community and $3600/yr for a single in the nicest dorm.

What is the Residential Living Community?

Glancing at university websites, I am surprised that there can be so much variation of the rate within a school--beyond the single supplement. Some schools charge the same rate for any dorm. Others must set prices based on amenities.

My in-laws recently asked why my daughter wasn't applying to any of the UCs. We moved to MN from CA, and my husband and I are products of the UC system.

But seriously?! Out of state tuition at UC Davis, where my husband did undergrad and graduate school, is $37,000. Room and board is another $13K! (And I know what those dorm rooms look like... ugh. NOT worth $13K!)

In contrast, South Dakota School of Mines in Rapid City, SD has double occupancy rooms for $3K. Freshman meal plans are another $2800. It's one of her financial safeties. She knows that even without merit aid, she can afford to go to school there with her savings. It's not her first choice, but if she can't afford to go where she wants to go, it's an option.

The education and debt that we'd incur to send her to UCD is just not worth that ridiculous amount of money.

Edited by sailmom

The rates vary at VT based on whether you are living with a roommate (typical) or alone, whether you have hall bathrooms or suites, whether your dorm has A/C or not, etc.

In the Residential Living Community, students live in a dorm with a couple of faculty members who participate in student gatherings and initiate events themselves. It combines learning with a community. Something along the idea of an honors dorm without requiring one to be of academic honors caliber.

In the Residential Living Community, students live in a dorm with a couple of faculty members who participate in student gatherings and initiate events themselves. It combines learning with a community. Something along the idea of an honors dorm without requiring one to be of academic honors caliber.

Interesting!

R & B at my son's private college in the Northeast is about $12,500, and that's for a double in an older dorm with a hall bath and no A/C. A single is about $600 more, and a triple about $900 less.

Once students can move off-campus as upperclassmen, many do so to save on R & B costs.

Brenda

We're dropping middle son off in a couple of hours (sniff), so I don't have a lot of time to look online, but I do know we're paying less than room & board costs for middle son. I think oldest might have covered his with his loans (basic federal loans - we didn't co-sign or take out any). This year he had to pay a little more due to not making a 3.0 last semester (2.92 - he got engaged... ah, distractions! ;)). He ended up working his tail off over the summer to pay that difference...

I've also been wondering lately just how much we've been saving by having one less (teen boy) mouth to feed + other expenses. While I'm positive we weren't paying $1000/month for the lad, I know there are some savings that offset some of the R&B costs. ;)

That said, one of middle son's "safeties" (University of Alabama - free tuition to Honors College due to high stats) ended up being a few grand MORE than two of his other choices due to room and board, so yes, consider ALL costs when looking at things financially. U Rochester - even without the free tuition guarantee - ended up offering him more and costs less overall to us. (Pitt would have as well.) UR is even a much higher ranked school. Don't let sticker price affect applications. One never knows. It all depends upon how much a school wants a particular student and that varies.

Many students who qualify for automatic free tuition are also students highly desired by other schools.

My son stayed in the same dorm for all four years of college. A double room in that dorm currently runs $6294 per year. Board plans were optional and he never signed up for one. Instead, he cooked for himself or grabbed something quick from a food truck or cafe for lunch (there are full kitchens for every dozen or so kids), spending on average about $50/week. He was able to work a variety of part-time jobs to cover his food, books, and personal expenses. No way could he have moved off campus in Boston and paid any less.:)

My daughter's school charges $12,721 for room and board. She has a choice of board plans, but they all cost the same :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie: and it's required that she sign up for one. For her senior year, she plans to either staff a dorm or try to get into the one apartment-style dorm where she'd be allowed to go off board and cook for herself. There's no point in looking for off-campus apartments in Palo Alto. Our son lives in a modest apartment two miles from her campus, and his rent makes me :ack2:.

We're dropping middle son off in a couple of hours (sniff)

Good luck to him, Creekland! You're making me homesick for good ol' U of R.:D

My son stayed in the same dorm for all four years of college. A double room in that dorm currently runs $6294 per year. Board plans were optional and he never signed up for one. Instead, he cooked for himself or grabbed something quick from a food truck or cafe for lunch (there are full kitchens for every dozen or so kids), spending on average about $50/week. He was able to work a variety of part-time jobs to cover his food, books, and personal expenses. No way could he have moved off campus in Boston and paid any less.:)

My daughter's school charges $12,721 for room and board. She has a choice of board plans, but they all cost the same :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie: and it's required that she sign up for one. For her senior year, she plans to either staff a dorm or try to get into the one apartment-style dorm where she'd be allowed to go off board and cook for herself. There's no point in looking for off-campus apartments in Palo Alto. Our son lives in a modest apartment two miles from her campus, and his rent makes me :ack2:.

There is a flat fee for meal plans at my son's college too. Variations allow for more or fewer "swipes" (all you care to eat dining) and Flex dollars. His school also gives seniors the option of apartment style dorms. If they go this route, they can opt for half board. To be honest though, given the intensity of senior year (with a required thesis), I doubt if my son will want to go this route. His senior friends usually seek singles!

One of my friend's daughters lives in an apartment in Boston where she does graduate work. Her first year, she found an "affordable" (for Boston) place which she shared. The problem was that she spent hours on her daily commute, had to use mass transit to do laundry, etc. She is now within walking distance of school--but that comes with a price. Factor in the time and T tickets and it is not as bad as it first appears.

So here is another question to consider when looking at on-campus housing vs. off campus or commuting from home: what is the true cost of commuting? We can't just look at the gas and parking. We need to consider wear and tear on the car and insurance.

WOW! I had no idea room and board could run so high!

We pay $5540/year, both of my dc go to the same small school, but it is in the boonies.

Hurrah for the boonies! I checked out South Dakota School of the Mines after it was mentioned earlier. It had the lowest room and board I had seen until you posted.

So here is another question to consider when looking at on-campus housing vs. off campus or commuting from home: what is the true cost of commuting? We can't just look at the gas and parking. We need to consider wear and tear on the car and insurance.

We're a few years off from this decision, but I ran the numbers for our CC and our nearest state university. Tuition is lower at the CC by almost half, but it is an hour away. The university is 30 minutes in the opposite direction. By the time you factor gas, commute time, food, and driving in bad weather concerns it is just as cost effective as the university.

Room and Board at one of the schools he is currently considering, not close to home, runs from 6k to 8k depending upon which hall you choose. It says it includes a meal plan. I can't find the details on the meal plan though.

Room and Board charges will be a big factor in whether he lives at home or goes away to a better suited school.

We're a few years off from this decision, but I ran the numbers for our CC and our nearest state university. Tuition is lower at the CC by almost half, but it is an hour away. The university is 30 minutes in the opposite direction. By the time you factor gas, commute time, food, and driving in bad weather concerns it is just as cost effective as the university.

Room and Board at one of the schools he is currently considering, not close to home, runs from 6k to 8k depending upon which hall you choose. It says it includes a meal plan. I can't find the details on the meal plan though.

Room and Board charges will be a big factor in whether he lives at home or goes away to a better suited school.

You are wise to run the numbers. I was looking at a financial website (Mr Money Mustache) that had a post on the "true" cost of commuting. In a culture that assumes car ownership, we tend to think that the cost of a commute is reflected in gas alone. I thought that the aforementioned post was a good take on maintenence and time.

Our ds is paying about $8K per year for the room, and $3K for the all-you-can-eat meal plan (required) for the year. He's hoping NOT to gain 15 pounds because of it! Ha.

Anyway, we chose to pay $1K more per year for him to have a private dorm room in the Honors Dorm (more like an apt bldg, with new facilities) and $1K more for him to live in a Half-Suite (shares his suite with ONE other person, rather than 3 others).

His dorm is quiet, he can study in his room, and he can sleep (or not) without bothering anyone else. He has a great suite-mate, but doesn't have to work on the dynamics of living in close proximity with THREE others.

Others have different living arrangements . . . we were very thankful there was an alternative to the typical Freshman Party Dorm experience.

At ds' school, a traditional double occupancy dorm room with the minimum meal plan required for residence halls is about $5,800 per year. DS lives in a 4-bedroom/2 bath on-campus apartment and chose the maximum meal plan. He snacks in the apartment but doesn't do true meal prep there. His room and board is just over $8,000 per year. He may opt for a lesser meal plan next semester. (New Mexico; outside major metropolitan areas.) For in-state students the combination of the state lottery scholarship (tuition) plus the school's GPA based scholarships cover the majority of (sometimes all) expenses.

Edited by Martha in NM
add info

Room and board at my daughter's liberal arts college is just over $13,000 this academic year. The cost is the same whether one has a single, double, or triple room; one's room assignment is based on a lottery and most students who are sophomores and above can have a single room if they desire. There is only one meal plan option and that is for 20 meals per week; meals are all you can eat.

Regards,

Kareni

My dd is a sr in a private LAC in the Northwest. She lives in a campus apartment with 3 other girls, so two sharing a room with small living room and kitchen and one bath. She is on 6 meals a week, the lowest choice, since board is required for living on campus. Her package costs $5090 for this year. She plans to cook most of her meals. I am not sure what it would be if she was on a full meal plan.

You are wise to run the numbers. I was looking at a financial website (Mr Money Mustache) that had a post on the "true" cost of commuting. In a culture that assumes car ownership, we tend to think that the cost of a commute is reflected in gas alone. I thought that the aforementioned post was a good take on maintenence and time.

Interesting information and comparisons in this thread. I have yet another anecdote to add.

My oldest is attending a professional school that does not have any dorms or meal plans -- students are on their own to figure that out. He is in an urban area, and his rent, food, utilities and gas for 9 months of school is no more expensive than his brother's room and board at a rural LAC. It could have been even cheaper if he shared an apartment, or lived in a slightly dodgier neighborhood, but we needed to feel he was safe and he needs quiet for studying (or at least his own noise!) If he were here in Southern California, that certainly would not be the case as our cost of living is so much higher.

If only both kids weren't on the other side of the continent -- air fare for bringing them home at Christmas ain't gonna be cheap!!

...Room and Board at one of the schools he is currently considering, not close to home, runs from 6k to 8k depending upon which hall you choose. ...

may be oversubscribed. The cheaper choices we requested on the residential housing form were not given to dd.