Menu

Please help me pick my next tablet/reader...

We had a death in the family last night...of my old Kindle. I got this from my mom as a hand me down when I bought her a Kindle Fire last December for her birthday. Since she lives with us she said I could "borrow" it indefinitely. I have it in a nice protective case/holder but the last drop (missed the shelf) seems to have killed it. I know it's out of warranty because this one is a replacement for a previous warranty use.

So...my birthday is next month and I've been asking dh if some kind of tablet but I'm going to really miss my e-reader. I use it multiple times daily.

Here's what I want my tablet/reader to do:

1) read books of course (I buy through Amazon alot and have Prime membership), use free book sources, etc...

2) download PDF files for use during school

3) would like to be able to access email/facebook

4) Play Zynga games (they relax me) but I don't know if any tablets can actually handle those

5) WIFI for general internet access when in a hotspot...for GPS, websurfing

So, is there any one electronic item that can do that or do I need a new ereader *and* a tablet of some type? I was thinking about the new Google Tablet or a new Nook...or do I need an iPad? I have a go ahead to make a purchase for my birthday but I need it to be the right one.

Help!!!

:)

Peach, From what I can tell it doesn't look like the Google Nexus 7 will play the games from Zynga...there aren't any definitive answers in the searches I have done...which probably means No. I think it may be only an iPad that will play those or a laptop. :P (dh would rather me get a laptop but I would prefer something small I can carry in my purse.)

Peach, From what I can tell it doesn't look like the Google Nexus 7 will play the games from Zynga...there aren't any definitive answers in the searches I have done...which probably means No. I think it may be only an iPad that will play those or a laptop. :P (dh would rather me get a laptop but I would prefer something small I can carry in my purse.)

Which games? Through Facebook, or stand alone? There are a number of zynga apps in the Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Zynga

Draw Something is also available for Android.

FWIW, if you need Flash player to play these games, you won't be able to do it on an iPad either.

FWIW, if you need Flash player to play these games, you won't be able to do it on an iPad either.

There are standalone iOS apps for a number of Zynga games. The company has said they will he releasing more for Android as well.

There is a hack to install flash on the Nexus 7 (Adobe just last week pulled Flash support for Android, and it was never officially released for the latest version of Android in any case), but I'm doubtful that would work to play the games via Facebook in a browser because I've not found any recent success stories.

• 10 months later...

I was looking around for something that would be able to use Time4Learning (i was looking into the possibility of using it for DS, I am still on the fence about it). T4L, I think, uses flash. A number of ppl on the T4L forum seem to use the Kindle Fire, which apparently is fine with flash, I'm not sure if its connected to the adobe thing above though (if it was, there are going to be angry fire users everywhere, lol). If its not working, you can check the Kindle Fire's settings. For some reason Flash is defaultly turned off on the kindle and you have to manually turn it back on in the settings.

If you go this avenue, I would love to know if the T4L demos worked for you. I'm in Aus, so I don't really want to purchase it without knowing (I'm also a bit shocked by the battery life on it, but its probably comparable to others out there, lol, I was just checking my reading speed/comprehension on an ebook site, and it said 690-750 words a minute, and that I could read something like 1.2-2 books (or something similar) on the fire before it went dead. Compared to my normal kindle that is insane. I think its also a lot smaller than my DX (which I require for my reading speed, a smaller book page just annoys me, too much clicking), so it would really only be used for DS, but if it only reads one book before dying, what does that mean? That it will play 5-10 minutes of T4L before the battery goes dead?