Menu

Better for homeschooling: Oklahoma or Kansas?

DH has a job interview in a town in Kansas so close to the Oklahoma border that in the first phone interview the person said most people choose OK due to lower taxes.

Websites make both states sound a little simpler than here, but maybe in Kansas you need to run it more like a private school, with a homeschool name and everything?

Can those of you with experience in either state please comment on what homeschooling is like there? Do you get free community college classes, access to sports or biology labs or anything from the local school district?

Thanks!

All you have to do is send in a letter of intent in KS. There are no other requirements. Yes, they do want a name for the 'school' but we just used P***** Academy and left it at that.

However, I would choose OK. If I'm not mistaken, OK is the only state with the right to educate your children explicitly in their state constitution. That would be a comfort to me.

ETA: I didn't pay attention - my kids were too young to need much when we were there, sorry I can't help more with that.

All you have to do is send in a letter of intent in KS. There are no other requirements. Yes, they do want a name for the 'school' but we just used P***** Academy and left it at that.

However, I would choose OK. If I'm not mistaken, OK is the only state with the right to educate your children explicitly in their state constitution. That would be a comfort to me.

ETA: I didn't pay attention - my kids were too young to need much when we were there, sorry I can't help more with that.

I remember reading that about OK and that would definitely be a comforting thought.

Yes, it is a right guaranteed in the state constitution. If your kids have never been in a school here, you don't have to do a thing to start homeschooling. You only do a letter when you pull them from school and it does not even have to stayed you will be homeschooling.

You have to provide an education comparable to the PS. That means 180 days or 1080 hours. You are supposed to cover OK history for high school credit. There is no reporting. The only real requirements that are checked out are when you apply for college. You just have to be sure you meet the college requirements for admission.

The only time you have to declare an intent to homeschool is if you pull your children out of public school here (and only when you pull them out, not every year). Otherwise, you're completely on your own: no testing, no updates, no oversight.

Funny, coming from Washington State, I have more time for teaching my kids now (and in more amusing ways) than I did when I had crazy amounts of oversight through one of the ALE programs up there!

Oklahoma is a great state to homeschool in! Like someone else said, no reporting or testing, and it must be "comparable" to public education's 180 days or 1080 hours.

As far as I know, homeschoolers are not allowed to participate in public school activities. However, there are vo-tech and community colleges that allow hs'ers and there are lots of support groups/co-ops for homeschoolers.

Lana

Yes, it is a right guaranteed in the state constitution. If your kids have never been in a school here, you don't have to do a thing to start homeschooling. You only do a letter when you pull them from school and it does not even have to stayed you will be homeschooling.

You have to provide an education comparable to the PS. That means 180 days or 1080 hours. You are supposed to cover OK history for high school credit. There is no reporting. The only real requirements that are checked out are when you apply for college. You just have to be sure you meet the college requirements for admission.

In a state which has no reporting requirements whatsoever, I wouldn't worry about number of school days or hours. Really.

Colleges don't check requirements, if by that you mean subjects that might be required by the state. The state doesn't have requirements for homeschoolers to be graduated, not even OK history. Colleges have requirements for all applicants, whether they were homeschooled or not. One of those requirments may or may not be OK history, and even if that were so, it would only apply to applicants who graduated from a school in OK.

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to t/j and ask if anyone knows what is required in OK if you pull your kids out in the middle of the year.

Technically - nothing. There is no actual law saying you have to even give a notice of intent to the school. Most do just to leave on friendly terms and avoid confronting the school. All I did was tell their teachers and the principal I was pulling them in a week and that was it. No problems at all.

ETA: My oldest 2 were in first and kindergarten, if it matters to know.

The "letter" most send is not even a paragraph. More of a memo. Something like this:

Letter of intent to withdrawal student(s) from school.

Students blank, blank, and blank and being withdrawn from school by their parents, mr and mrs blank, and will no longer be attending blank school as of blank date.

Signed and dated by mr and mrs blank.

Personally? You are under no obligation to do so and I think it sets precedent when people do it anyways. Most people just move or whatever and never notify the school other than to tell the teacher bye.

Edited by Martha

Technically - nothing. There is no actual law saying you have to even give a notice of intent to the school. Most do just to leave on friendly terms and avoid confronting the school. All I did was tell their teachers and the principal I was pulling them in a week and that was it. No problems at all.

ETA: My oldest 2 were in first and kindergarten, if it matters to know.

The "letter" most send is not even a paragraph. More of a memo. Something like this:

Letter of intent to withdrawal student(s) from school.

Students blank, blank, and blank and being withdrawn from school by their parents, mr and mrs blank, and will no longer be attending blank school as of blank date.

Signed and dated by mr and mrs blank.

Personally? You are under no obligation to do so and I think it sets precedent when people do it anyways. Most people just move or whatever and never notify the school other than to tell the teacher bye.

Thank you. That is how I was reading the law too, but I want to give proper advice to my neighbor about how to do it with a 7th grader. I think a short letter helps avoid any issues. Once he is out the school district has no jurisdiction over the child.

The reason you notify the school is so that no one thinks the dc are truant. If you're moving out of state, it's no big deal; if you're not moving, you better notify the school that you are withdrawing your children so that you can avoid testy conversations with truant officers at your front door (or worse). Also, IMHO, you should request the children's records. They're yours, after all.

Furthermore, when you send that letter, you should send it certified, with a return receipt requested. That way you have proof that you did notify the school.

I would like to t/j and ask if anyone knows what is required in OK if you pull your kids out in the middle of the year.

A letter to the principal stating I was pulling my daughter out was all I did when I pulled dd out half way through 1st grade. I almost didn't send one for my ds when he decided over the summer he wanted to try homeschooling. I got a phone call from the middle school stating if I didn't send in a letter, he would be considered truant and they would report him.

A letter is a very simple and easy thing to send in. We have not had any issues arise since.

We live in Oklahoma, close to the KS border. Yes, our right to homeschool is wriiten in the state laws. We have to provide a 'comparable' education for our children. They measure this in hours/days attended. The only tests required are entry tests, if your child returns to public school. No one checks up on you, and there is no one to report to.

Regarding classes and sports actitivies--this varies per community. We live in the NE region of the state and have wonderful support. Most sports programs are ran through the city or YMCA and include all children (elementary level). We also have a Vocational College, where classes are available to all. Our support system is large and includes a great Chrisitan HS group. However, I have heard of wonderful support groups in KS as well.

It would be best to find out as much as you can about the town you will be living. Each community is different! Our school district does not encourage homeschool (obviously) but is willing to visit and assist parents somewhat.

It's true!! It was written into the State Constitution!!!! It's a great spot to live... :)

• 2 weeks later...
We live in Oklahoma, close to the KS border. Yes, our right to homeschool is wriiten in the state laws. We have to provide a 'comparable' education for our children. They measure this in hours/days attended. The only tests required are entry tests, if your child returns to public school. No one checks up on you, and there is no one to report to.

Regarding classes and sports actitivies--this varies per community. We live in the NE region of the state and have wonderful support. Most sports programs are ran through the city or YMCA and include all children (elementary level). We also have a Vocational College, where classes are available to all. Our support system is large and includes a great Chrisitan HS group. However, I have heard of wonderful support groups in KS as well.

It would be best to find out as much as you can about the town you will be living. Each community is different! Our school district does not encourage homeschool (obviously) but is willing to visit and assist parents somewhat.

I have lived here for awhile now and haven't met one single homeschooler. :001_huh:

I have lived here for awhile now and haven't met one single homeschooler. :001_huh:

It probably depends on where in KS you live. If you're talking Leavenworth/Kansas City/Johnson County, or even Topeka or Wichita, I think you'd almost have to be a hermit to not have met a single homeschooler yet. There are many, MANY homeschoolers in NE Kansas.

But if you're more remote, I can see why you may not have met any. :confused:

A family we know (in KS) has had their kids do band at the ps all through their elementary years. But once they hit high school, they have to be enrolled in a K12 program in order to participate in ps activities (so that said public school can get their government bucks for your kids :glare: ). So it's definitely a district-by-district decision.

But as far as homeschooling itself, I believe that KS and OK are both every homeschool friendly states. Honestly, between the two, I wouldn't base my residency decision on homeschooling because either one will be fine.

Instead, I would take a look at what you're going to be paying in taxes. Since the new job is on the KS side of the border, it may be more prudent to live on the KS side and not pay taxes in two states. (Does OK have state income tax? I'm kinda' thinking not, but I don't know for sure.) Anyway, my recommendation is to check out the tax situation of living in one state and working in the other vs. living where you work. Also, what will it take to get your vehicles registered in the new state? Here in Missouri it's a crazy mess with a bunch of hoops to jump through. You get taxed and/or penalized for every stinkin' thing they can think of if you want to own a vehicle. It's much easier in Kansas (we lived over there for one year), BUT other things are more expensive. (Now this was in Johnson County... might be less expensive down near the OK border.)

Either way, OK or KS, you're definitely going to be in tornado country. :auto:

It probably depends on where in KS you live. If you're talking Leavenworth/Kansas City/Johnson County, or even Topeka or Wichita, I think you'd almost have to be a hermit to not have met a single homeschooler yet. There are many, MANY homeschoolers in NE Kansas.

But if you're more remote, I can see why you may not have met any. :confused:

LOL I am in one of those areas. Maybe it's just the friends that I have???

Lovinmomma, if you are in the kc area, you should search for a facebook group called homeschool hookup. You'll have to ask to join because it's a closed group, but the leader will let you in. Lots of field trips, weekly park dates, moms night out, all completely optional. Over 400 families in the joco group.