Menu

Preschool Activity Boxes? Does anyone make these?

Kimber

I found the ideas for them at Paula's archives, but I am swamped right now with family obligations and I'm willing to spend a few dollars to buy this already made. I just don't have much time this summer and it's driving me crazy.

Does anyone know where I can buy some pre-made, childsafe, independent play totes, bags, or boxes for 3 year and 4 year olds.

I really appreciate any ideas. :)

Kimberly

(desperate mom of an active 3 yo)

I'd love to make them for you, but we don't live near enough to each other!

How about just taking 15 minutes a day for the next 10 days and working on them? Or make a little list to tack on to your grocery shopping each week, and breaking them up that way? Small steps make big tasks less overwhelming.

But you knew that!

How about getting your older kids to make some?

I would bet your 10yo and even 8yo might be able to help quite a bit. From looking at the site to see what to start with, making a shopping list, and getting things set up. If they are really good at it, it might be something they could make for a profit, or at least to give as presents if they have younger cousins.

Or getting a neighbor or relative to make some?

This is what I'll do! My dh didn't feel well enough for church today, but he said I could run out w/o the kiddos. I'm going to buy a few supplies from Paula's list and let the 10 and 8 yo sort and bag 'em up.

I might even pay them,

Thanks for the advice!

Kimberly

Thank you so much for such kind words. I wish I had friends like you nearby. :)

I shouldn't be overwhelmed by something so small and so simple. It's just that the summer is usually my time to plan and get ahead. Well, for some reason, my dh forgot that. He has made family commitments for us that took over a month out of my 2.5 months of prep time. He just completely forgot and has since apologized. He's even helping me out as much as he can to lighten my load.

I've got 3 weeks left in my summer, then family visits and then school with no time in between. I can't believe it just started and it's pretty much over.

Thank you for letting me rant a little. :)

Blessings,

Kimberly

Lauri Toys makes a variety of "paks" and play sets and rubber crepe puzzles that you can rotate through with children.

We have quite a few of them and they can be easily rotated on a regular basis.

I think Rainbow Resource sells little sets with figures in sand.

I have put tonka trucks in a small rubbermaid container with cornmeal for play.

Tonka trucks come in "sets" that can be rotated.

Melissa and Doug make small wooden boxes filled with four different puzzles that my three and four year old children like to work.

I bought my four year old daughter the Melissa and Doug Whiteboard/chalk board with magnetic letters for her birthday. I anticipate her using this during table time in our school- and it could be rotated on a weekly basis.

You can also do this with play-dough.

I hope this helps,

Rebecca

Last week I was trying to think of something I could sell on Ebay...and I actually thought of making preschool activity boxes--and selling them already made up. I'm not that innovative, though. But maybe that is an idea for someone who has a little more drive than I.

Ginger

Paula has Paula's Archives.

I just came back from wal-mart where I had to return some items and I bought everything I needed and then some.

My 10 yo dd and I are making activity bags, but I think I've gone overboard. But it's what I desperately needed. I needed a system. And now that I have the bags and I've started re-organizing our pre-school art supplies and games into bags too. I'll probably have 30 -40 different bags before I'm done.

And I followed the advice of using a small swimming pool as the indoor play area. See, we have lots of toys, for sand and water too. But I never let them use them indoors. So having the pool in the kitchen, on the tile, might make that doable. So I'm putting our moon sand in a bag too.

I'm kind of going overboard, but I needed this so badly. And to be honest, I have used the TV way too much in the past and I don't want to do that anymore. I need to have activities planned so that they have safe entertaining activities.

Some of bags are--

Crafts for puppets

letter stickers and construction paper

water toys, funnels and measuring cups

play dough and molds

cereal boxes, the little ones, of fruit loops to string on lace

strainer for mixing flour and rice or other foods and strain stuff

black construction paper and chalk

index cards with numbers on them and they will glue the right number of shells on the back

a roll of toliet paper and a pack of tape for mummies

puzzles with letters

peg boards that I already had but wasn't using

simple preschool board puzzles I already had

dot paint

water washable paint and brushes

I'm still making bags and probably will be for another few hours.

Thank you for the encouragement to go ahead and do it.

Kimberly

Way to go! I admire your "get up and go!"

After a week of VBS, I feel at loose ends, and strolled the aisles of the dollar store, looking for inspiration for my preschool class this fall--"trouble is," they already have tons of stuff, so I'm denied the pleasure of making my own materials...

Hope you had fun!