Menu

Time to take the keys away- good thoughts for DM

It is beyond time to take the keys away from my DGParents. They really have no idea how bad they drive. DM has to have a long talk and do it while the other siblings support her, they are thousands of miles away. They hope to be able to all be together for Thanksgiving or Christmas to discuss the rest of the stuff(selling house, etc.). So far grandparents refuse to hear or listen to reason. They are very, very ,very stubborn on things. He has been driving since he was fourteen so it will be hard but when you are falling asleep while driving, running lights or missing stop signs your no longer a safe driver. The next time it slips they have a doctors appt, DM is taking them. One of the children has a in-law suite for them but they refuse to even think about it. I think one of them will pass before anyone can do anything. It is hard to believe it took this long for everyone else to see but when it is your parents, you don't want to think of them getting old. I am glad that DM was in the car when he fell asleep so he wasn't hurt. After that, it was slipped how DGF has low blood pressure and has been passing out lately but his doctor says he is as healthy as can be. DM is going to need some good thoughts and possible dynamite:tongue_smilie:.

:grouphug: I know just how you're feeling. We tried to get my mom, who has Alzheimers, to stop driving and living on her own worried for her safety and others' on the road. It finally took her falling in her house and not being able to get up for several hours to shake her enough to move her. By some grace of God, it was a warm fall day and she had the doors open with just the screen doors closed. The yard guy happened to come by and she called out to him. Thankfully he was a kind, honest person who helped her and called my sister to come take Mom to the hospital. Once that happened, we didn't waste any time moving her and getting rid of her car. It was a tough transition, but she seems happier now that she's around other people and not sitting around by herself all day.

I don't have any great ideas of how to have that difficult conversation successfully, but I feel your pain and I wish you the best of luck.

:grouphug: I know just how you're feeling. We tried to get my mom, who has Alzheimers, to stop driving and living on her own worried for her safety and others' on the road. It finally took her falling in her house and not being able to get up for several hours to shake her enough to move her. By some grace of God, it was a warm fall day and she had the doors open with just the screen doors closed. The yard guy happened to come by and she called out to him. Thankfully he was a kind, honest person who helped her and called my sister to come take Mom to the hospital. Once that happened, we didn't waste any time moving her and getting rid of her car. It was a tough transition, but she seems happier now that she's around other people and not sitting around by herself all day.

I don't have any great ideas of how to have that difficult conversation successfully, but I feel your pain and I wish you the best of luck.

I feel for DM. I can't imagine how that conversation will go but I feel not well. I am glad it worked out for your DM.

thats tough... I can imagine driving gives them a sense of independence.

I remember when my grandfather was still alive his driving skills went down hill. I remember riding with him and he plowed into a stop sign. Finally we convinced his doctor to advise him that he could no longer drive.

so what did he do? drove his riding lawn mower around town. He was not about to have someone drive him 6 blocks for a hair cut so he just hopped on his mower and away he went. stubborn old man.

seriously though I hope it all works out for the best. :grouphug: