Menu

Why am I stressing about a spelling curriculum??

Mommy22alyns

I am about to go throw myself off the front porch! This is driving me insane.

We're finishing up SWO A soon. I feel like it's really just been busy work for Becca and I don't know how much spelling she's actually learned from it. Maybe that's just because a large part of the book really was below her level. She's just now encountering some challenges in it. Maybe when she moves up to level B, and if I get the teacher manual to flesh it out, SWO will work better for us?

I've also considered AAS. The kinesthetic learning aspect appeals to me, but I'm also concerned about the challenge level. From what I can gather, Becca might do best to start at least in the middle of Level 1, if not just directly at Level 2.

I've also looked at Spelling Power, but keep hearing it compared to Saxon, which makes me want to run in the other direction. Our attempt with Saxon 1 made both of us want to poke our eyes out. We can't do that slow, incremental pace.

Someone suggested The ABCs and All Their Tricks, but I just don't think I can work directly from that effectively - maybe when I'm a more experienced hs'er.

I want her to learn the rules, but we also need a quick pace and challenging words. :001_smile:

It's only spelling. Your dc is just little. She has lots of years to improve her spelling. I'm thinking maybe you should just, you know, lighten up

Hands Amber a chill pill. :chillpill: Here. Take one of these with a cup of tea. It will be fine.

We've been using AAS for a couple of months. I started my dd directly in Level 2. The AAS website has a 'test' dictation. It says that if you dc can complete it easily, they will do fine in level 2. The 1st chapter of level 2 reviews the important rules from level 1. We're really enjoying this program! I have no experience with the other programs that you mentioned, so I can't help you compare them.

Maybe when she moves up to level B, and if I get the teacher manual to flesh it out, SWO will work better for us?

We are fans of SWO, ds #1 has used it from A through starting F this year, and ds #2 did A last year, B this year.

But I wanted to mention that I don't think the teacher manual will do much to help you "flesh it out"; and I buy the teacher manual for each level, lol. I have done my own things to sort of expand on the lessons, to me the teacher manuals are good for checking the occasional baffling answer and as a source for dictation sentences.

I just didn't want to you have the idea that the teacher manual will somehow "beef up" the program -- in my experience, it really does not.

Kate

I want her to learn the rules, but we also need a quick pace and challenging words. :001_smile:

Since she's five, I would continue to reinforce phonics and letter formation, and work on copywork.

Personally, I find Spelling Power to be totally at odds with what's taught in The ABCs book. While I like Spelling Power's reinforcement methods with misspelled words, I believe the program does not teach proper phonics, and claims many words to be "exceptions" when they are in fact not exceptions; they just don't fall into SP's lessons.

I usually stick to the General Board; from what you've written, it sounds like your dd is reading fluently. Most children will pick up spelling just fine regardless of the curriculum. (Which means that my thoughts on Spelling Power are mostly irrelevant!)

I don't think that SP and Saxon are anything alike in their teaching methods at all. One reason that many people like Spelling Power is that you don't spend time on words the child knows. If they spell them right from the beginning, the words drop off the list and the child only works on the words they don't "get."

Just my own thoughts. I'm rather a spelling freak, I LOVE finding out why words are spelled the way they are!:001_wub:

I would drop spelling and focus on reading fluency for a few years. Really. Do copywork, help her sound out words she wants to spell. You could find more confidence by reading about spelling instruction- why, how and when. There are different approaches. Hope this helps!

I am with Jessica! My 7yo, 2nd grader, will just start spelling this year. Neither of my older 2 dd's started spelling before 2nd grade either and both spell a year ahead of their grade level.

If she really wants something then keep track of her misspelled words and work with those (making sentences, copying them, having little tests, ect...).

Blessings,

Heather

She is only 5 yrs old. You can pick up spelling later. Let her learn to read first.

Oh, she knows how to read! She also knows how to write her letters. She writes notes and lists on her own and spells everything phonetically. She will read anything that's set in front of her and has excellent comprehension.

Oh, she knows how to read! She also knows how to write her letters. She writes notes and lists on her own and spells everything phonetically. She will read anything that's set in front of her and has excellent comprehension.

Unless she is asking for spelling I would just wait. My oldest could read at a 7th grade level by 3rd grade, and still we didn't start spelling till 2nd. Now she is going into 5th and spells as a 6th grade level. I have no idea where her reading it at, but she loves the KJV Bible models in Classical writing and I know KJV is an 11th grade reading level. At 5 you just want them to enjoy school.

If she is asking for it though, pick something that she will think it fun, even if it is easy. Is that hands on? Calvert CD so it is on the computer? What ever makes her day, then try to find a spelling program that fits that style, KWIM? If you have to buy AAS, start half way through level 1 and more quickly then do so! Then sell it when you are done and go to the next level.

What ever works. :D

Heather