Menu

Ongoing prayers for Jean in Newcastle, please

Some of us with chronic conditions limit our activity and Aleve would not even touch my pain ever. Not for a day. I would not sign up for things I know darn well I cannot do. Sorry to say but discretion is the better part of valor. I have Rheumatoid Arthritisand Fibromyalgia and have to take 6 medications a day some of them very dangerous but otherwise I could not walk. If I want to help with something I am passionate about I do what I can based on my realistic assessment of my condition... Harsh?? Maybe but unless you are putting food on the table and a roof over the family it is all negotiable unless you thrive on being a martyr. Truth. If this poorly thought out choice is worthy of prayers for continued actions against medical advice and science based treatments then so be it. My friends and family would say what the *ell were you thinking but they hold me responsible for doing everything possible to keep myself in a state of reasonable safety with my conditions. I just do not get it at all.

Rough Collie,

A word of warning about Cymbalta. It can have horrible side effects for some people, even though it works wonders for others. Side effects creep up slowly and are, at first, hard to distinguish from actual fibro symptoms. If you are one of those people who react badly to Cymbalta (like me), you may not know it until months down the road when all of a sudden the side effects that have been building suddenly hit you full force.

Of course, I had a Dr that was extremely invested in the idea that Cymbalta was going to work for me....so that added to my problem. He should have seen what it was doing to me. If Dh hadn't been there to tell me to "get off that drug!" I'm not sure what would have happened. I have a new Dr now. :D She keeps me far away from drugs like Cymbalta b/c of how poorly my body tolerates it, and she tells me my experience is not unique.

I know it can work wonders for some people. I'm not saying don't try it; just be informed and on the lookout for things that could possibly happen. Jean has probably read about my experience with Cymbalta, since I posted it before.

I so wish it would have been the wonder drug for me, but it turned into my worst nightmare ever with prescription medications and it is one of those drugs that has to be stopped gradually with terrible withdrawal symptoms.

Continuing to pray for Jean. We need a praying smiley.

:iagree::iagree:

It was absolutely horrible for me and a nightmare to come off...even after only 6 weeks. I had side effects for almost a year afterward. I am finally feeling sort of normal again.

:iagree::iagree:

It was absolutely horrible for me and a nightmare to come off...even after only 6 weeks. I had side effects for almost a year afterward. I am finally feeling sort of normal again.

How ghastly!! I'm so sorry for you. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Some of us with chronic conditions limit our activity and Aleve would not even touch my pain ever. Not for a day. I would not sign up for things I know darn well I cannot do. Sorry to say but discretion is the better part of valor. I have Rheumatoid Arthritisand Fibromyalgia and have to take 6 medications a day some of them very dangerous but otherwise I could not walk. If I want to help with something I am passionate about I do what I can based on my realistic assessment of my condition... Harsh?? Maybe but unless you are putting food on the table and a roof over the family it is all negotiable unless you thrive on being a martyr. Truth. If this poorly thought out choice is worthy of prayers for continued actions against medical advice and science based treatments then so be it. My friends and family would say what the *ell were you thinking but they hold me responsible for doing everything possible to keep myself in a state of reasonable safety with my conditions. I just do not get it at all.

:grouphug: Elizabeth. You are the toughest of the tough, and an honest one, too.

She got off the phone to go be a lifeguard for a bunch of kids who couldn't go swimming unless she did so. She said something about reminding herself about Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber. But, you know, it's been a lot of years since we were a Veggie Tales family, and I have no idea what she means by that.

Larry doesn't want to play the tuba, because he thinks he'll look silly. But Bob says, "It's for the kids." "Okay, if it's for the kids...."

Praying for Jean. :grouphug:

If this poorly thought out choice is worthy of prayers for continued actions against medical advice and science based treatments then so be it. My friends and family would say what the *ell were you thinking but they hold me responsible for doing everything possible to keep myself in a state of reasonable safety with my conditions. I just do not get it at all.

IMO, lots of things are worthy of prayer. Today, a bird flew into my window. It sounded like a huge rock had hit the window. I looked outside, and there was a bird on his back. He was breathing and opening and closing his beak. I went outside and turned him upright. Then I prayed for him and worried that he was in pain. When I looked out the window a few minutes later, he was gone, so I think he flew away. I didn't see any hawk shadows, so I don't think one got him. The blinds on that window are now down so birds will not try to fly through it.

I look at it this way. It doesn't take much time to pray for someone. Prayer can be done anywhere, any time. If God doesn't want to listen to a prayer, that is His choice. He decides what is important, not me.

In this case, Jean has been doing Zumba and kickboxing daily at the Y for a very long time, without ill effects ... in fact this activity has helped her a lot.

She is a pastor's wife who agreed to teach at the camp again this year. The flare-up of pain occurred the day or two before camp started. There was no one to replace her on such short notice, and she was very much needed, so she went. For reasons having to do with their religious beliefs, this camp and its purposes are very important to her and to her husband. Of course, neither of them would put Jean's health and well-being in danger, no matter what.

Jean's activities are limited anyway. It is amazing to me that she accomplishes what she does when she's in a normal-for-her amount of pain or has other symptoms.

I am sorry to hear about your chronic conditions and the immense amount of pain you are in every day. I, too, have a couple of serious medical conditions, but I am lucky that they do not involve serious pain, although I do take lots of medications. I never have figured out how anyone can endure being in chronic, severe pain, and I am sorry you have to go through this. I do not think I would handle that well at all.

Jean does not act against medical advice. She has sought out science-based medical treatment (M.D.s) for more than two decades, and does so to this day. No one yet has been able to figure out the causes for her long-term illnesses. I've known Jean for a very long time, and she does not neglect her health. It does go downhill very quickly and unexpectedly, which is a problem. By that I mean that she has periods during which she feels fine (with baseline pain she handles well), and then suddenly, from one day or even hour to the next, she will crash (flare-ups or other medical problems) without warning. Luckily, she is married to a nurse.

I do not think she was irresponsible at all, and I do think she deserves and needs prayer to support her during this week.

Edited by RoughCollie

:grouphug: all around, to Jean, Elizabeth and all those dealing with chronic conditions, esp those involving pain.

I do not know how you all do it. I have depression off and on, and it is all I can handle. To be in pain would be something I would have to grow thru; I could not do it now.

I appreciate, RC, how you handled Elizabeth's post, and I appreciate Elizabeth's honesty.

I appreciate, RC, how you handled Elizabeth's post, and I appreciate Elizabeth's honesty.

:iagree: I have to limit my activities too (Fibro and being watched for possible RA, Lupus, etc.), but there are times when I do things for family or b/c of my beliefs, even though they may be too much for me. I've helped Dc with activities that have left me on the couch for the following day or two (or even more).

When I'm at that point Aleve doesn't touch my pain either. Fortunately I have something that does for just such an emergency, should I choose to take it. I usually opt for the rest first though. Sometimes it's enough to make me think twice, and not do it again in the future. Sometimes I weigh the cost and do it again b/c I don't want to miss out on things that *I* value and think are important b/c of a stupid, mysterious condition that is already limiting my life in so many ways. :glare: Basically, I do it, and know I'll be paying for it.

And, I'll add that the thought enters my head that there could be a time in the future when things are worse and I'll have to miss out on more. It sounds like Elizabeth is at a point of her health conditions leaving her no choice. :grouphug::grouphug:

I'll also say that there are times when a flare and pain hits for no reason at all, so that enters into my decision making too. If I'm going to have to deal with it, at least it helps to know I'm enduring the flare for a reason. IT's silly, but I find the flares that happen b/c of doing too much easier to deal with psychologically.

Dh and Dc try to keep me realistic about what I *should* do. It's definitely a good idea for those with chronic conditions and pain to carefully evaluate just what type of responsibilities they are taking on, but, at the same time, it's hard to be missing out on things you feel are important too. And, it's hard to feel like you are the one depriving your family of activities/events that are important. Of course, they can go ahead without you, but then you are left out of some of your family experiences. Either way you're giving up something.

More prayers for Jean and others in similar states of health. :grouphug:

Jean still has a couple of days to go, so please keep praying.

I'm a little worried about her diet there. She is so meticulous about what she eats (aside from pig heads), and camp food is not very healthy, IMO.

:lol::lol::lol: i will never, EVER forget that pic she posted with the pig head in her refrigerator.:lol::lol::lol:

Okay, I don't get the pig head reference, but apparently it's funny. Can someone explain it to the ignorant Floridian please?? Use small words. :p

Jean's husband is Filpino so around holidays and when his famiy goes to Jean's house, pig head is often on the menu.:D. She has posted a pic before. :tongue_smilie:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=366930&highlight=Pig+head

:lol::lol::lol: i will never, EVER forget that pic she posted with the pig head in her refrigerator.:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, I looked for it, but since it was on photobucket, it doesn't show up any more. That's what I think of first when I think of Jean! :D

I think she should post it again when she gets back.

Edited by RoughCollie

Yeah, I looked for it, but since it was on photobucket, it doesn't show up any more. That's what I think of first when I think of Jean! :D

I think she should post it again when she gets back.

Everyone - did you see this? RC was calling Jean pig headed, I'm telling on you!!!!

MOOOOOOOOM!!!! I mean JEEEEEEEEEEAN??!!! JEAN??!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Hello, everyone. I am home. The car is unpacked. The first load of laundry is running. My suitcase has been unpacked. I am tired but doing fine. We are all tired. To let you know just how tired we are, we were driving on the freeway on the way home for a whole half hour before I notice what exit we had just passed. I told dh, "Um, honey? We're going the wrong way!" We were going south on the freeway instead of north. We turned around and did make it home, though a bit later than we would have if we'd been more awake.

Highlights of the week:

38 kids, aged 8 - 18. Numerous adults who came for teaching.

15 staff including myself. We are a team. Yes, we have various set responsibilities but foremost, we are a team who all pitch in to help out whenever and wherever. I was not any more noble or selfless than anyone else. For those who understand, any good that we did was done with the power of the Holy Spirit and not our own power.

14 kids in my class. My co-teacher, who handled crafts and activities, and I worked very well together. I've been asked to teach again next year and my co-teacher has agreed to team up with me again.

The kids had a blast with paintball, crafts, rock climbing, archery, canoeing, swimming, soccer, kickball, swimming, funny relay races as well as good Bible teaching. I did not do any of these activities with the exception of life guarding twice for swimming and even then no one needed me to jump in and save them. I did, of course, teach ten hours of Bible.

There is a lot of hurt in this world that has nothing to do with physical illness. This year's camp was intense at times but was always genuine. None of this was planned or solicited but cropped up at different moments as the children and even adults felt comfortable and loved enough to share some pretty personal stuff.

I had the joy and privilege to hear one of my young campers tell me that he now understood and believed that Jesus Christ died personally for his sins as a substitute for him on the cross.

We had some rocking good music.

We had a baptism this morning before camp was over. Our camp director, two counselors and four children were all baptized. All children were baptized with parental approval and support. All children had parents present for the baptism.

Aleve handles my inflammation enough so that I can walk. I don't feel the need to discuss other medication (allopathic) and supplements (naturopathic) that I am taking. (I do appreciate the advice to look at different medications. I'm just tired and don't want to get into the physical stuff in any more depth right now.) My flare let up after 6 days, on Wed. which is just about the time I would expect one to let up even if I were wrapped up in a fluffy blanket on the couch all week. I don't know why it let up. Twenty years with this and there is still more that I don't understand about all this than I do understand.

RC is a very good friend. She does occasionally post unsolicited and totally over-the-top descriptions of me.;) I very much appreciate all the prayers.

I'm glad you're back safe and sound, Jean. It sounds like it all went very well. RoughCollie is a good friend to have, and I was happy to pray for you. I have fibro too, and I sometimes do things that I know are going to cause a flare, but I do them anyhow because it's important to me and worth it. The mental boost is worth the physical pain :) And I'm bummed because I never got to see the picture of the pig's head :lol:

Oh, all right. But only because I like you.;) Here is dh with a cooked Figgy Piggy.

I am not going to ask what your DH has in his hand. Do not tell me!

Okay, you can tell me.

No, don't!

Where's the apple that belongs in its mouth? I didn't realize that pigs had such long snouts. I've only ever seen one pig, and it was an old breed they had at Plimoth Plantation before the big fire that killed the animals years ago. He smelled so bad that I got away from him very fast -- worst smell I've ever encountered.

Edited by RoughCollie

It is his ear. Oh, wait. . . did you say not to tell you? Too bad - because I already told you! :D

Apparently apples in the mouth are not Filipino, according to MIL.

You know, I don't think I'd do very well sitting down at a table with a pig head sitting on it. He looks like he has all his teeth, and I don't see any tartar. Is he a young pig? Is he a he or a she?

Do you eat the tongue too? Beef tongue is eaten by some people - I've seen it on a few restaurant menus. When I bought my quarter of beef, I asked for the heart and both eyes for family game night dissection. Actually, we are going to try to get the heart beating again. I briefly considered getting the tongue for the dog.

Edited by RoughCollie

You know, I don't think I'd do very well sitting down at a table with a pig head sitting on it.

Do you eat the tongue too? Beef tongue is eaten by some people - I've seen it on a few restaurant menus. When I bought my quarter of beef, I asked for the heart and both eyes for family game night dissection. I briefly considered getting the tongue for the dog.

Dh cut the meat off of the head and put the meat on a platter. I was very glad that he did so! Dh's nephew ate the tongue. Dh's dad asked for the brain. They had to take a hammer to the skull to get it to split. (You realize that you asked for this level of gross description, right?! :auto:)

Dh cut the meat off of the head and put the meat on a platter. I was very glad that he did so! Dh's nephew ate the tongue. Dh's dad asked for the brain. They had to take a hammer to the skull to get it to split. (You realize that you asked for this level of gross description, right?! :auto:)

Did anyone eat the eyes? I understand that sheep's eyes are delicacies in some parts of the world.

Ds15 says that no one ate the eyes. I tried not to look too closely at what I was eating so I wouldn't know.

I'm trying to be an equal opportunity voyeur. If people eat sheep eyes, is it so far-fetched that they will eat pig eyes?

You probably ate them!

Also, how do you get the pig's hair off his head before you cook it. I've been doing some research!

Edited by RoughCollie

I'm trying to be an equal opportunity voyeur. If people eat sheep eyes, is it so far-fetched that they will eat pig eyes?

You probably ate them!

Also, how do you get the pig's hair off his head before you cook it. I've been doing some research!

I did the same research. Apparently you boil it and then scrape off the hair. We didn't get to try it though because Figgy Piggy came to us hairless.

Oh, all right. But only because I like you.;) Here is dh with a cooked Figgy Piggy. For some reason I can't find the one of Figgy Piggy in the refrigerator. th_IMG_1233.jpg

Thanks for posting it (I think ;)) Figgy Piggy has a rather baleful look in his eye. I guess I would too if I'd been decapitated and roasted. I actually recognized the pig's ear in your dh's hand since I used to feed them to my dog. Well, pig's head is one tradition you can keep to yourself, Jean, I don't think I'll be borrowing it :tongue_smilie: :lol: