Menu

Decided on a pet - Albino Corn Snake - any advice?

Okay, so the great pet debate has concluded, and we will be getting a baby albino corn snake. I've read the care sheets, etc, and have a basic idea of what we need - but experience is always better, so if any of you own or have owned a corn snake, I'd love to hear any hints and tips you might have. We're putting it in a 55 gallon aquarium, and the pet guy says it will grow FAST in there - yay! They are already being fed frozen pinkies, which is good, as I was worried about transitioning from live to pre-killed. I'd love to hear any words of wisdom you have, product recommendations, etc. THANKS!

Okay, so the great pet debate has concluded, and we will be getting a baby albino corn snake. I've read the care sheets, etc, and have a basic idea of what we need - but experience is always better, so if any of you own or have owned a corn snake, I'd love to hear any hints and tips you might have. We're putting it in a 55 gallon aquarium, and the pet guy says it will grow FAST in there - yay! They are already being fed frozen pinkies, which is good, as I was worried about transitioning from live to pre-killed. I'd love to hear any words of wisdom you have, product recommendations, etc. THANKS!

The biggest rec I have is to hold it regularly. Snakes are such easy pets, it's not hard to end up neglecting them. A 55 gallon aquarium sounds like a mansion! Mine only had a 24 gallon. He grew to be about 4 foot long.

I thought I would have a problem feeding him the live mice, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The only times it bothered me were when he wasn't really hungry, and just left it in there. Then I started feeling bad for it. After a few days, it was like a pet, too. Then it was gone. :001_huh:

But like I said, they're incredibly easy pets, low maintenance, cool to watch. You'll enjoy it!

How exciting!!!! I am green with envy. I really miss mine. We named him Steve. Steve the snake. Here is what we did for ours...

We had an under the tank heating pad...specially made for this...under one side with his "hide out" centered over it. We also had another "hide out" at the other end sitting at room temperature. This way he could choose to warm himself up or not. Also had a warming lamp, outside the terrarium but directed at it from the top, pointed at a rock so he could bask. We washed and filled his water bowl every three days or so. Definitely have something in there for him to climb. So much fun to watch! Oh, and make sure the lid is on tight and maybe even hold it down with rocks or books...they are escape artists! When his eyes get "cloudy" he is going to shed soon...be sure to "mist" his terrarium with water periodically because the humidity aids in a complete shed.

Have fun with your guy...or gal!:D

She is very cool to watch and play with! Ours is amelanistic, which means she has no black pigment at all. She is orange, with darker orange stripes and blotches. Even her eyes are orange, and her tongue!

The albino corn snakes are pretty. Is it pure white?

Cornelia was only 15" long when we got her, now, around three years later, she's somewhere around 38" long. She was in a 10 gallon tank up until this year, now she's in a 20 gallon. 55 gallon must seem huge! I would like to have a bigger tank, but we just don't have the room.

We have a heat pad under one side of the tank, and hide shacks on both sides. The water bowl is on the NON heated side. I have different height rocks and "caves" for her to climb over. Definitely use clamps on your tank lid, as snakes are very good at escaping even through tiny openings!

Cornelia has never had live food. I buy the frozen baby mice (she started on pinkies, now eats fuzzies) and thaw one out each Monday evening. She eats it right up!

She is very gentle, and has never shown any sign of aggression or biting. I don't know if she likes being held or not, but it's fun to feel how muscular she is. She can hold on very tight!

By the way, we have no idea if our snake is male or female, we just say "she" because it is a very pretty snake and looks girly to me!

Michelle T

Thanks for all the advice! I'm wondering if "Albino" is the wrong term for the snakes at the pet shop - that's what they're called, but they look like the one you're describing - they're not white, but various shades of orange and white, with orange-ish eyes.

I hadn't thought about getting two hiding areas - so that suggestion is much appreciated. I was going to just get an under tank heating mat, but now I'm wondering if I also need a light...

I'm very excited. I'll be ordering the supplies online and then when we get back from our trip August 4, we're going to go pick up the snake!!!

I have an albino cornsnake also. She is various shades of orange/coral with stripes down her sides. Like the other poster, we call it a "she" because it's so pretty! She also has a star on her head.

Anyway, you've gotten good advice. I'll just add that I have had issues with substrate. In the end, I'm just using white paper towels. Everyone is happier and healthier for it. It's quite difficult to make sure you are cleaning up all the "stuff" when it can absorb into a chipped substrate. The snakes can get sick if you don't get every bit of it.

Best wishes!

~Lisa

I have an albino cornsnake also. She is various shades of orange/coral with stripes down her sides. Like the other poster, we call it a "she" because it's so pretty! She also has a star on her head.

Anyway, you've gotten good advice. I'll just add that I have had issues with substrate. In the end, I'm just using white paper towels. Everyone is happier and healthier for it. It's quite difficult to make sure you are cleaning up all the "stuff" when it can absorb into a chipped substrate. The snakes can get sick if you don't get every bit of it.

Best wishes!

~Lisa

We're going to go with the repti carpet - ds and I are allergic to the bedding made of wood shavings, so it seemed the carpet would be an inexpensive, easy-to-clean option.

keep the lid on tight.

Blessings,

tonya in sc

who currently has a missing corn snake somewhere on the premises.

Just added some lid clamps to the list, lol. We have a very territorial pug, it would NOT end well if the snake got out...

To use with dd's beardie. It seems to have a fuzzy texture, to me. I keep wondering how you could clean that completely? I can see everything just smearing through the fibers. Ugh!

They do make some sort of smooth matting, too. I'm currently looking for some to have a look at, since my local stores only carry the carpet. In the end, I may have to cut a hunk out of my yoga mat!!!:D

I've never had any escape issues with the new reptile housing with the lock-in-place screen lids. My corn snake does seem to tap on the screen with her head at night after the lights are out, but there has never been any real danger of escaping. Of course, the second I say that....

~Lisa