Menu

Math program for a science kid.

mominbc

My DS8 is a science fanatic and wants to be a scientist when he grows up. I want to make sure he has a solid foundation in math to support his science focus but not sure which math program would be the best. We have done a mixture up until now.

what mixture have you done? my 8 yo is super in to math, and his father had several degrees in math - we've been totally eclectic with math. we did a little singapore, but my son didnt like it. We've done some Zaccaro and some LOF and some murderous maths and some random worksheets.

If your son is quick to understand the concepts, i think any rigorous curriculum would work - singapore with some of the supplements . . . you could check out Beast academy if he likes a real challenge . . but i honestly think a solid understanding of numbers is the most important thing in the early years. Then an early start to algebra when they are ready so they can take calculus in high school and be ready for rigorous physics

Guest pwerica

We have been doing Abeka up until now and my son loves math. This year we are going away from the video teacher and I wanted to pick a new math. We went with teaching textbooks. My son is also 8 and a huge science kid.

I would (am ;)) shooting for having my dd able to use the Art of Problem Solving math curricula in jr. high and high school, because I am completely won over by the depth & conceptual rigor of this program. So, working backward from that, I'm focusing on deep, conceptual math curricula in the elementary years. There are a number of programs that fit this bill, including (but not limited to) Singapore, Math Mammoth, and Beast Academy. Lots of paths that can get you to the destination you are shooting for; it'll take some research online, checking samples, doing placements, etc. to find the best match for your student.

My DS8 is a science fanatic and wants to be a scientist when he grows up. I want to make sure he has a solid foundation in math to support his science focus but not sure which math program would be the best. We have done a mixture up until now.

Have you reviewed Singapore?

We are a science and math family (DH has a PhD in math and BS's in math and Physics; I have BS's in Bio and Linguistics w/ compsci emphasis & language acquisition emphasis).

I would say use the math program that is both good in concepts and applications rather than just drill and that gets your son excited about math. What that is varies from kid to kid; there is no one right answer for all families.

My older DS is doing great with Life of Fred (fractions level on up). We flirted with AoPS, but for him it was a waste of time; it added nothing he had not already covered in Fred, very thoroughly. For other families, the opposite preference holds true. He also explores forward on his own in Khan Academy, just to peek ahead into trig and calc (but Khan does not replace his regular work). Earlier, he enjoyed reading books such as Penrose the Mathematical Cat.

My younger DS is thriving with Singapore Math, though he also loves the Fred elementary series.

At age 8, I would definitely at least explore Singapore. If cost is an issue, Math Mammoth is quite respectable and will leave him well-prepared for algebra or "pre-algebra" (something that does not technically exist, but is the last stage of arithmetic and number literacy before algebra; most progrms also toss in the irst few chapters of algebra concepts as well, to give kids who struggle a leg up on algebra if they need it).

My older DS is doing great with Life of Fred (fractions level on up). We flirted with AoPS, but for him it was a waste of time; it added nothing he had not already covered in Fred, very thoroughly. For other families, the opposite preference holds true. He also explores forward on his own in Khan Academy, just to peek ahead into trig and calc (but Khan does not replace his regular work). Earlier, he enjoyed reading books such as Penrose the Mathematical Cat.

My younger DS is thriving with Singapore Math, though he also loves the Fred elementary series.

This is good to hear; Miss P completed the Elementary series last year and is doing Fractions now. She loves it, and I think it's excellent, and going all-Fred in the future is definitely an option I'm considering as well. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to have my cake and eat it too :glare::D!

Thank-you so much for the replies.:) I was leaning toward Singapore or Math Mammoth but wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

My older children are both classical musicians pursuing music degrees so having a math/science lover is an exciting new adventure. I just want to make sure he has all the tools needed for his future success.

Thanks again!!